First timer with big 5th wheel

Jbosse1013

Earning My Ears
So this is our first trip to the fort we are planning for October of 20 so plenty of time. Just have a few questions we have a 40 foot fifth wheel with 5 slides as anyone with this big of a camper has concerns will we get to pick our site or is it based off the type of site we book. Any other advise? Should we do the meal plan or come back to camper during stay? Is it easy to get back to camper to eat? Any other advise would be awesome

:welcome: to the DIS Camping Board, Jbosse1013 :disrocks:

It's based on the type of site you reserve (Full, Preferred, Premium, Tent). The system will "pre-assign" you a site based on the level you reserved factoring what was vacant the night before or who is leaving that morning. You don't get to pick a site. Everybody gets a pre-assignment. With that, you can still go in and ask about a favorite site or two if you have faves but it solely depends on if it will be vacant and available for assignment.

As for meals, we don't come back even from MK (most convenient park to FW) because of the travel time coming and going even if we drive to the parks and skip the bus system (our preference) which to my Type A personality feels like it takes forever. However, you certainly can and people do come back sometimes to rest or nap mid-day (or check on the pet) and then head back to the park. So it does happen. We do take the boats to MK or Contemp (and walk to MK). Few people in the campers/tents/rvs do the meal plan since it requires every day of your stay to be on the plan.

We packed a picnic lunch into the parks when we had the 3 kids (and two adults) and then bought a counter service meal but as we only have one "kid" 20yo now at home, we eat more table service (because I can).

When in October 2020 are you planning to go? We on the Camping Board have discussed a group of us all camping together at the Fort in October 2020 during the week of the Columbus Day holiday. If you plan to attempt to be at the Fort during Halloween (which is fabulous), it fills up more than a year in advance. So book H early if that's the plan.

Come back at us with more questions.

Bama Ed

Depends on the type of vacation you want. Personally I am park rope drop to fireworks and go go go and that works for my wife and now 7yo. We took him when he was 2, 4 and 6 and he never had any issues keeping up with me but hes a high energy kid. We did the meal plan first trip with him and on earlier vacays with just the wife and it is the most convenient way to go but depending on how you eat maybe not the best deal.

Holy cow thanks for all the info, it would be around the time of Columbus day! So with me already stating my rig size do you recommend a certain type of site ? Just curious trying to get it all figured out? When would we first be able to book for those dates ?

Welcome !!!

I'd book a premium site. Be sure they have all of your dimensions.

The meal plan will only save you $ if you plan your trip around eating at the most expensive places. Pick what restaurants and meals you would eat, add them up and see how that stacks up to the meal plan. If you have a Disney Visa you can also get a discount at some restaurants.

It is a very easy return to FW from MK. The other parks are easy but it may take a little time out of your day.

Jbosse1013,

Here are our threads about the DIS-Meet to camp together in October 2020 from this past summer.

The first thread was to gauge interest.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/who-is-up-for-a-fort-wilderness-dismeet-discussion-thread.3689372/

The second thread was to vote on dates.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-fort-wilderness-dismeet-poll.3690908/

Notice how we have some children who have trouble following directions. :rolleyes:

The earliest you can book is 500 days from the day you would leave Fort Wilderness to go home so for most of us that puts the earliest booking day around early- to mid- June 2019. If rates for 2020 have not been announced yet (they come out summer for the following year), you have to call and book at 2019 rates which will be updated to 2020 rates when announced. If already announced, the booking tool online can do it.

So keep this in the back of your mind while you plan your own fun.

Bama Ed

They have sites that would fit a 40 footer with no problem. We have several at 43ft that camp there normally, I have seen a Seismic TH in loop 1400. You would fit in a premium no problem. Our small trailer and tow vehicle are in my signature, the tiny trailer has 6 slides.

So with me already stating my rig size do you recommend a certain type of site ? Just curious trying to get it all figured out? When would we first be able to book for those dates ?
My 5er is 42 ft and the truck is another 23. Like others have said, book a Premium site and you can be sure you will fit. Not every single Premium site, but nearly all. Tent/Popup sites are out. You will really struggle getting around the loop, much less into most of the sites. I love the Preferred sites (100, 200, 300) by the marina and Settlement with Trails End and Hoop-Dee-Doo, but those sites are narrow and tight and navigating around the 100 and 200 loops with a big truck and trailer could be tough depending on how others have left their vehicles in or near the road. Some of the Full sites may work, but they are typically only 12 ft wide compared to 18 for the Premium. The Full sites feel more open though. I may go for that next trip.

As for booking in October 2020, you can book a site 499 days out. Depending on your dates, this will put you in May or June of this year. You will have to call to reserve as the web site won't have pricing (and availability) for 2020 until later in the year.

j

@Jbosse1013 :welcome: to the Dis Camping Boards. If your foodie kind of people, The Food and Wine Festival will be going on at Epcot.
You could plan 1 or 2 days there (depending on length of stay) at slowly eat your way around the world :thumbsup2

@Jbosse1013 :welcome: to the Dis Camping Boards. If your foodie kind of people, The Food and Wine Festival will be going on at Epcot.
You could plan 1 or 2 days there (depending on length of stay) at slowly eat your way around the world :thumbsup2

Welcome to the Dis, Tigger mentioned the Food and Wine festival, its a lot of fun, except the drinking around the world challenge, i think its on sundays, wow is it crowded

I would definitely request a premium. I even used a premium when we had our pop-up a few times, it was nice to have the room outside. I also call and add to my request that I want a site on the outside of the loop. If you are on the curve, trying to make the tight corner to back-in on an inside site is pretty tight with a long camper, especially if your neighbors haven't parked away from the road and aren't home to move their vehicles. They say backing into the outside is suppose to be harder because it is the blind side, but sometimes it is almost straight in or at just a small angle. We have a 38 footer, 4 slides, and a rear view camera on the back of the camper. When I get there it is just me and the dog for a few days before others arrive, and she doesn't know her left from her right so she is not much help backing in. But on the outside of the loops, I haven't had a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter