First Timers - One Day Only w/ Park Hopper & MaxPass - Strategy?

BrandonInCO

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone! We're coming to LA in a few weeks and will be at DL/DCA on Sunday, November 10th. We only have one day in the parks... :scared:

I'm just looking for some tips, I think. I have a rough idea of how I'd like the day to go. I'm expecting high crowds due to it being the first weekend of the holidays, as well as Veteran's Day weekend. How bad will it get? Bracing myself now.

We have MaxPass, and I've read through all 24 pages of the superthread, lol. So I think I have a good handle on how that works. We'll have no issue getting to the parks early early early - it's just 2 adults and we're both morning birds. Here's what I'm kinda imagining so far:

1. In (or around, if they're not letting us on Main Street) DLR by around 7:15-7:30am for 8am rope drop.
  2. Fantasyland first, starting at PPF. Then Tomorrowland, scooping up FPs as we go.
    1. Get WOC FP for 9pm, Fantasmic FP for 10:30pm
  3. Then probably HM, Matterhorn, IJ. Not really sure. We're not too concerned with Adventureland or Frontierland except for a ride or two within them.
  4. Galaxy's Edge.
  5. Planning on staying in DL until about 2pm, then hopping to DCA. By then I hope to have FPs for RSR, TSMM, GotG, probably IC. Specifically trying to get an RSR FP for dusk/sunset, because I've read that it's much better at night with all the lights. My anxiety kicks in thinking about the 90 minute wait to book a new FP once I grab that one, though, since I know the 4:30+ time frame will hit by around 10am-11am. Is it really that much better at night? I'm willing to do it and suck it up for 90 minutes if needed.
  6. DCA from 2pm to about 8:30pm, when it's time to start thinking about going over to WOC.
    1. This is also to avoid the crowds during/after the DL parades, specifically the 6pm one. If not for the 6pm one, I might have planned DCA earlier and headed back to DL for a couple hours before WOC, but I don't see that being viable.
  7. Really only concerned with exploring Radiator Springs and Pixar Pier. Anything else will just be a bonus.
  8. WOC ends around 9:30pm, then back to DL for Fantasmic, to be in the area by about 10pm.
  9. Leaving us with about one final hour in DL from 11pm-12am to wrap up anything else we can.
Any suggestions? I wholly recognize that we're going to miss a lot, and I've resigned myself to probably missing out on a lot of my "would be nice to ride" list, as long as my "must ride" list gets done. How much can we expect to get done at both parks with about 16 hours between them? Bearing in mind we're 2 male adults, both in good shape (I exercise a lot, husband a little less but a couple times a week at least). I don't think the day will obliterate us physically.

Thanks in advance for anyone who read through this whole write up!

Unless you are absolutely married to going on RSR together, do the Single Rider line. That way you can skip holding that FP and choose when to go. The inside portions of the ride won't matter if it's day or night, but the race portion (and the start) is pretty neat with the lights of DCA shining in the distance.

RSR is really great at night, but on our last trip we left riding it at night until our last day. Well, the ride went down, and I never got my evening ride. So if a ride, any ride, is particularly important to you, don’t leave it until the end of the day. Plus the above advice about single rider is great advice. Maybe you can fit it in twice!

Your basic strategy is pretty sound, if ambitious. A ton will depend on how crowded the parks actually are, especially in terms of when FPs run out... which is hard to predict. But if the crowds and FP gods are in your favor, it’s a solid outline.

Keep in mind that commando touring can be exhausting, especially if the weather is unpleasant, so don’t be surprised if you end up needing some afternoon downtime. It has less to do with physical fitness and more to do with just... mental fatigue, I guess.

I do expect it to be pretty darn crowded that weekend. But I hope you have a great time no matter what!

Unless you are absolutely married to going on RSR together, do the Single Rider line.

I guess I didn't think about that. I don't hate the idea, and I suppose it's just one ride. Thanks for the suggestion!

RSR is really great at night, but on our last trip we left riding it at night until our last day. Well, the ride went down, and I never got my evening ride. So if a ride, any ride, is particularly important to you, don’t leave it until the end of the day.

Also an aspect I didn't consider. I guess I don't feel that strongly about it being at night, just want to make sure to get on it. It's like the "Flight of Passage" ride in terms of popularity and enjoyment, as far as I've read.

Your basic strategy is pretty sound, if ambitious.

Is it a little overly ambitious? I'd just like to set my expectations in advance. I'm a planner and the difference between the WDW FP system and this one gives me gas, lol.

Thank you all so very much for your input so far! Really helpful!

Is it a little overly ambitious? I'd just like to set my expectations in advance. I'm a planner and the difference between the WDW FP system and this one gives me gas, lol.
You have a lot of components to the day, including two nighttime shows in two different parks... so that’s ambitious. Not “un-doable,” but ambitious. It’s hard when you’re in a new place and you have to figure out where to go all day, too...

You’re gonna love Maxpass. Being able to ride like 10 headliners with FP instead of 3 and then “maybe a couple more” is so nice.

I’m jealous - My park days are so abbreviated due to little kids in tow! I think you have a good plan, though I personally may not go out of my way to see WOC. Maybe that’s sacrilege but I would prioritize having more amble around time than tying yourselves to two shows. On the other hand I guess it’s something only at DL.

I think you’ll love how compact the parks are...it really is possible to pack a lot into one day. One tip I found useful before my first trip was to ‘study’ the map a bit so I knew where things were....sounds kind of silly but it helped me spend a little less time looking at my phone and sped things up a bit too. Other than that I don’t have any tips for someone like you who’s done their research!

With a strong rope drop strategy and utilising MP fully, I think you'll fit a fair bit in that morning and get a decent jump on the afternoon if you are lucky.

Have a great trip.

Plan sounds solid. It will be a lot of walking though. HM and Small World should have their holiday overlays on which are always highlights. Don't forget about single rider lines for Incredicoaster, RSR and Indiana Jones. On Matterhorn request the left side track, if it's open. MP does occasionally show fastpasses other people cancel so refresh it a few times in the late afternoon/evening before making a selection. Sometimes that hard to get ride will show up.

I think you’ll love how compact the parks are...it really is possible to pack a lot into one day.
Indeed. About three or four months ago, two friends did every attraction in both parks in a single day (8:00 a.m. - midnight). I’ve only been to DW twice but I often tell other Disney enthusiasts that I far prefer my park (DL) because everything is so close together.

I'm in mostly the same boat (one day park hopper w/MaxPass). My differences: traveling solo (likely) and - this is the key - have even less time as I'll enter mid-afternoon. So I'm just focusing on major attractions, particularly those unique to DL. First time visitor. So questions: one, what will the FastPass availability be at say 4pm on a Monday evening in November? Secondly, are single rider lines preferable (or comparable) to having a FP anyhow? Much thanks for any recommendations! I will start in DCA until 8pm and then DL from 8-11pm.

Hi everyone! We're coming to LA in a few weeks and will be at DL/DCA on Sunday, November 10th. We only have one day in the parks... :scared:

I'm just looking for some tips, I think. I have a rough idea of how I'd like the day to go. I'm expecting high crowds due to it being the first weekend of the holidays, as well as Veteran's Day weekend. How bad will it get? Bracing myself now.

We have MaxPass, and I've read through all 24 pages of the superthread, lol. So I think I have a good handle on how that works. We'll have no issue getting to the parks early early early - it's just 2 adults and we're both morning birds. Here's what I'm kinda imagining so far:

1. In (or around, if they're not letting us on Main Street) DLR by around 7:15-7:30am for 8am rope drop.
  2. Fantasyland first, starting at PPF. Then Tomorrowland, scooping up FPs as we go.
    1. Get WOC FP for 9pm, Fantasmic FP for 10:30pm
  3. Then probably HM, Matterhorn, IJ. Not really sure. We're not too concerned with Adventureland or Frontierland except for a ride or two within them.
  4. Galaxy's Edge.
  5. Planning on staying in DL until about 2pm, then hopping to DCA. By then I hope to have FPs for RSR, TSMM, GotG, probably IC. Specifically trying to get an RSR FP for dusk/sunset, because I've read that it's much better at night with all the lights. My anxiety kicks in thinking about the 90 minute wait to book a new FP once I grab that one, though, since I know the 4:30+ time frame will hit by around 10am-11am. Is it really that much better at night? I'm willing to do it and suck it up for 90 minutes if needed.
  6. DCA from 2pm to about 8:30pm, when it's time to start thinking about going over to WOC.
    1. This is also to avoid the crowds during/after the DL parades, specifically the 6pm one. If not for the 6pm one, I might have planned DCA earlier and headed back to DL for a couple hours before WOC, but I don't see that being viable.
  7. Really only concerned with exploring Radiator Springs and Pixar Pier. Anything else will just be a bonus.
  8. WOC ends around 9:30pm, then back to DL for Fantasmic, to be in the area by about 10pm.
  9. Leaving us with about one final hour in DL from 11pm-12am to wrap up anything else we can.
Any suggestions? I wholly recognize that we're going to miss a lot, and I've resigned myself to probably missing out on a lot of my "would be nice to ride" list, as long as my "must ride" list gets done. How much can we expect to get done at both parks with about 16 hours between them? Bearing in mind we're 2 male adults, both in good shape (I exercise a lot, husband a little less but a couple times a week at least). I don't think the day will obliterate us physically.

Thanks in advance for anyone who read through this whole write up!

If they are running it, use the buddy pass line for Toy Story (assuming that there are 4 or less groups in front of you). It is to the left of the main entrance (you can ask the cast member at the FP station). Also there is a buddy pass line for Monsters Inc, if you want to ride that.
Do Haunted Mansion as early as possible, it has been CRAZY busy since it turned into HMH.

If they are running it, use the buddy pass line for Toy Story (assuming that there are 4 or less groups in front of you). It is to the left of the main entrance (you can ask the cast member at the FP station). Also there is a buddy pass line for Monsters Inc, if you want to ride that.
Do Haunted Mansion as early as possible, it has been CRAZY busy since it turned into HMH.

Oh wow! I didn't know that was a thing. Just Googled it and I'll definitely ask for it when we get to that ride. Thanks for the tip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter