First trip alone

I actually went so far this morning that I booked my flight to WDW in August. I have never travelled anywhere by myself but my husband and kids refuse to go to Disney this year. I would like opinions from all of you women out there who have travelled alone. How did you feel about eating dinner in a nice restaurant alone? I don't feel entirely comfortable about travelling alone. On the other hand, I have worked very hard during the past year and feel that if I skip my usual August trip to Disney, I will be very disappointed. I would welcome all opinions.
By the way, I put in a reservation request through DU for Yacht Club Concierge. If I'm going, I'm going to pamper myself!

dining alone is not a problem - just bring a book or better yet your Disney planning - so you can be planning what you will do next.

Or try to meet with other singles or adults who are there too...

Dining alone doesn't bother me.

I did however eat all my restaurant meals at lunch time on my first solo trip. That was mostly for a break from the afternoon sun. By dinner time I didn't want to waste time eating so I ended up grabbing something at the resort food court most nights.

Deb

This is my first solo trip too, my son (21) would be more than happy to go but he has to work to pay off those school loans, my daughter is not really into Disney and my husband just flat out refuses to go.
I am not concerned about eating alone, I like the idea of bringing a note book and keeping a journal. I definately want to make lunch my main meal and I plan on going to sit down restaurants. I made a PS for the Tea at the GF for a treat as well.
Let us know when you get back how your trip went.

I have no problems eating at a restaurant at WDW alone. I have PS at Chef Mickey's for my upcoming solo trip, and was thinking of also doing Le Cellier and maybe one of the MGM restaurants (can't decide between 50's Prime Time Cafe or Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater). It's good to have a distraction like a book or park map, but also take the time to look around at the detailed theming and enjoy where you're at.

Have fun and enjoy yourself - it's great going solo and being able to do what you want when you want!:D

Thanks everyone for your advice. I will definitely bring a book along with me each day. I am planning to bring several anyway for those hours by the pool. I will post a trip report when I return.

Anyone who is making a solo trip to WDW or a DCL cruise solo and would like to meet other solos from the DIS, <I>please</I> visit the new <B><a href="http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=393800">SOLO Central</A></B> and post under the month of your visit. July through November are linked from the first post on the thread. Thanks!

HelenK-

I'm planning on doing Tea too, during my October trip. You'll have to tell us all about it when you get back.

Deb

Hi Disney Freak,
i went on my very first solo trip anywhere to wdw in may. i really had a great time and think you will too. it is so nice to be able to do whatever you want whenever you want to ;) i was nervous about dining solo too but had a great time, i went to many restuarants including a character dinner at LTT , Hoop dee doo and the Poly Luau. my favorites were LTT , california grill(perfect view of castle and fireworks) , boma and Tea at the grand floridian.
have a wonderful trip:D
kathe:D

oh, and one my highlights was my very 1st massage at AKL;)

Having been solo many times (with another trip coming up in November/December), I may be able to help you with whatever questions you may have. Just drop me an e-mail and let me know and I'll shoot some answers right back to you.

Some hints that may help with being there solo:

Bring a book. This comes in handy in alot of places. While waiting for a show or parade to start, or while eating, etc. This keeps you occupied and feeling less awkward.

Take a break. Even if you are going solo, make sure to take a break. Your tootsies (as well as the rest of your body) will thank you.

Take some time and wander the parks during Magic Hour (EE).

At the Magic Kingdom, stroll down Main Street and listen the soft music playing in the background as you approach the castle. Be sure to look at the windows on the second floor. They have some cool stuff on them. Also after the official park opening, stroll around Liberty Square.

At EPCOT, stroll around Future World both during MH and after 7pm. It's really beautiful to see the buildings and hear the soft music in the background.

At MGM, again do some strolling and look at all the different buildings.

Finally, at Animal Kingdom, hit it one morning at MH, but head straight for the Tree of Life and take a nice walk around the tree. It is so cool to see how many animals are up there and usually the paths around the tree are pretty deserted. You can hear the ToL music in the background too!

Dining alone at WDW is like dining anywhere else, well sort of. One of the best parts of heading to WDW solo, is that you get to choose where you want to dine and when. Character meals are great and the Crystal Palace is the best!! I've dined here both with family & solo and have never been disappointed. I typically make PS (even in slower times of the year). This way I know I have a ressie. Most of the CM's at the restaurants are nice and don't make you feel out of place because you are dining solo, especially character meals. The characters usually stop to say hi. If I don't want a picture taken or just want to enjoy the atmosphere of the restaurant, I usually wave, then go back to what I was doing. This way the characters know I'm not interested and move on to the next table.

The character meals at the 1900 Park Fare and Garden Grill are also very good. Some other dining suggestions would be at Cindy's (ask for a window table) either for lunch or dinner, Liberty Tree Tavern (L or D), Concourse Steakhouse, O'Hana's, Yachtsman Steakhouse, Beaches & Cream, Le Cellier, Rose & Crown, Tusker House, 50's Primetime & Sci-Fi Theater. Oh, and definitely dine at Spoodle's. This was the best meal I had during my last visit!!

Don't be afraid to get pictures with the characters in the parks. There is always a CM with the character, so they can take the picture for you. I did this during my last trip and got loads of shots.

The only ride (for now) that has a designated "singles" line is Test Track. Mission Space will also have one, once it opens. Don't forget to utilize Fast Pass too. If Carousel of Progress is open during your trip, make sure to see it.

Even going solo, safety is still important. Make sure to keep your door locked, even if you are only going to be a minute and never prop it even if you are just running to get ice. Lock any valuables in the in-room safe. Don't take alot of cash with you. I typically take a little for each day for snack stuff, pre-stuff my "mousekeeping" envelopes prior to leaving home, and put most of my meals on my room key. Also, only take what you need in your wallet. This way less to lose.

I could go on with suggestions!!!

great suggestions Terk-1:D another fun thing to do while solo is to take one of the many tours. i did the 7-hr magic tour which takes in 3 parks, it was great fun, and very informative, also nice to share the lunch at mama melrose with the rest of your group.
Terk-1, dd and i will be arriving just 2 days after you:D we are staying at WL. where will you be?

kathe:D

Thank you all for all the great tips and encouragement. I think that I will do a tour just to have the opportunity to speak to other people. Also, I will definitely carry a book with me so that I have something to do while waiting in line or in a restaurant. I will post a trip report when I return. Thanks again.

Disney freak, I am going solo in Aug as well, my older son decided he didnt want to go since hes going to be away at college at the end of the month and younger son didnt want to go without older son (who would he make witty comments to??) And I agree withyou, I work very hard and that trip to Disney is a reward to myself, when are you going? Sheila

hi Wheatenwalker,
I am arriving on August 24 and leaving on August 30. If you will be there during that time, maybe we can meet at one of the parks or for lunch one day.

That is so funny, I am going the 25th and coming home the 30. I'm staying at BCV, maybe we can meet up and do something- Sheila

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter