First trip to disney with 12 and 14 year old. Advice on how to do it right

bigbuilder

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone, my wife and I have agreed to make disney our first family trip since the pandemic started. We would like to not do it during march break ( we are from ontario) and want to come in what would be the least busy time there. Any advice on when that would be in the next 3 months? Also we would like to make it the best it can be and not worry about what it costs. Any thoughts on what steps we can take to have the most fun. Nicest resort. Best restaurants. I remember reading about fast passes a few years ago and we would totally do whatever is necessary to make it more fun for the kids. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi Everyone, my wife and I have agreed to make disney our first family trip since the pandemic started. We would like to not do it during march break ( we are from ontario) and want to come in what would be the least busy time there. Any advice on when that would be in the next 3 months? Also we would like to make it the best it can be and not worry about what it costs. Any thoughts on what steps we can take to have the most fun. Nicest resort. Best restaurants. I remember reading about fast passes a few years ago and we would totally do whatever is necessary to make it more fun for the kids. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Well, March and April are usually very busy with Spring Break and Easter crowds, so early to middle of May would probably be the least busy time within the next 3 months. US schools start getting out in late May, so crowds will begin increasing as Memorial Day (Monday May 30 this year) approaches. May is usually a nice time in terms of weather, too; it will be warm but not as humid as late summer, and the summer afternoon rains don't usually begin that early either.

As far as resort, if you're not worrying about cost, I'd look at the deluxe resorts, of course, and I'd consider a DVC resort, at least a 1 bedroom so that you and your wife could have a king bed and a door between yourselves and the kids. Can your kids share a bed? That's important because, for instance, we had a boy and a girl who couldn't share a bed, so we needed a 2 BR to provide them each their own bed, but if you have only 2 and they can share, the 1 BR have a queen size Murphy bed or sofa bed (varies by resort) in the living room. The other advantages to a DVC 1 BR or larger would be a full kitchen (great for fixing breakfast, saving money and time in the mornings, as well as having drinks and snacks later in the day) and in-room laundry (pack half as many clothes).

Unfortunately, fast passes have been replaced by Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lanes, which are more complicated. To begin your education on that subject, I'd start with the first 7 posts in this thread.

I'm sure others will be along soon with additional advice - good luck!

Hi Carolyn, Thank you very much for all the info. I am going to look up the info that you suggested . To bad its the busy time next two months. But maybe its worth the wait to go in may!

Hi Carolyn, Thank you very much for all the info. I am going to look up the info that you suggested . To bad its the busy time next two months. But maybe its worth the wait to go in may!
May is the favorite time for many people - for one thing, the Flower & Garden Festival will be in full swing in Epcot, making that park gorgeous and offering extra food options and entertainment. Crowds have been larger than normal this year (January and February are normally not this busy, except around US holidays such as Presidents Day), but hopefully May won't be too bad!

Obviously there's a lot more to consider, such as planning your days i.e. which parks to visit (I recommend all 4), how many park days, etc. But investigating hotels is probably a good place to begin.

I would do at least 2 days in each park. More if you can. As far as restaurants there are so many to choose from depending on what your family likes. We don’t have kids and with DH’s food allergies have to eat at mostly TS but here are our favorites at the parks, resorts, and Disney Springs:
MK - Tony’s (Italian with a Lady and the Tramp theme). Be Our Guest (a prix fixe meal in Beast Castle with amazingly themed rooms).
Liberty Tree Tavern (American theme featuring an all you care to eat platter).
Epcot - Space220 (space theme with a prix fixe meal). Coral Reef (view of the fish tank with a variety of items on the menu).
Tutto Italia (Italian). Chefs de France (French). Le Cellier (Canadian steakhouse).
HS - 50’s Prime Time Cafe (great theming and antics by the severs). Hollywood Brown Derby (a great variety of food but known for their Cobb Salad and Grapefruit Cake).
AK - Rainforest Cafe.
Animal Kingdom Lodge - Boma (great buffet for breakfast or dinner).
Wilderness Lodge - Whispering Canyon Cafe breakfast.
Yacht Club - breakfast at Ale & Compass.
Disney Springs - The Boathouse.

Last edited:
If your not worried about cost, want a low stress day and what to be treated like rock start, do a VIP Tour. You'll save a bunch if your going off season too. Lots of recent threads about the tour given the pandemic has made them extremely popular.

Have you asked your kids what they are interested in doing? They might be great allies in doing research - there are lots of Disney YouTubers around. Tim Tracker is one I like but there are many. I also buy paperback travel guides - they have lots of info.

With the ages your kids are, they might be interested in things like mini golf, regular golf, water parks, universal studios (if they like thrill rides or Harry Potter), in addition to the Disney parks.

Someone above suggested two days for each park - I think you really have to think about what your family likes and can tolerate in terms of crowds/heat. My family has gone several times and we have a low tolerance for crowds - we usually will have 3 Disney park days for a 7 day vacation and we usually don’t spend more than 4 hours per day in a park. We have spent the rest of our time swimming at the resort, bowling at dis springs, shopping, eating, visiting water park, etc. Next time we go, we plan to rent a car and visit SeaWorld and the Kennedy Space centre and do mini golf (our child is six).

happy planning!

Hi fellow Ontarian!

If cost isn’t a concern, consider VIP tours, fireworks dessert parties, and staying Club Level at the resorts.
There’s a lot of restaurants, these are my favs for either ambience or food or both:
Cinderella’s Royal Table
Be Our Guest
1900 Park Fare (still closed)
Yachtsman Steakhouse
Space 220
Toledo
Sanaa
Boma

These I haven’t been to but want to try one day:
Topolinos
California Grill
Storybook Dining at Artists Point

Also we would like to make it the best it can be and not worry about what it costs
Have you pulled the room only hotel rates for some May dates up on the Disney web site? Disney is unlike other places where it can become very costly especially when planning a short term trip. I’m talking close to Four Seasons prices for some deluxe hotels on certain dates, or even exceeding luxury hotel pricing. I think maybe do a quick hotel search online to get a handle on prices and if you can afford the deluxe hotels then others can chime in with some specific suggestions. Also you might want to book your reservation now as you can always cancel later just to get something started. There’s huge demand right now. Prices are high and inventory books fast.

Would do one park per day as a base and purchase all the Individual Lighting Lanes that are offered and also Genie+ to cut down on wait times. Unless you go with a VIP tour which I’m sure would be fantastic.

How many nights are you planning to stay? That will help us give suggestions too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter