• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First trip to DL in September - couple of Qs!

disneyunicorn

Earning My Ears
Hi, I will be travelling from Ireland to California in September for a 2 week road trip with my boyfriend. We will be spending one day in Disneyland (September 21st) and I have a couple of Qs:

- I understand that the park opens at 9am, when does the car park open and when should we be aiming to arrive into the car park? We will be driving from Santa Monica that morning

- I would like make dinner reservations, as we only have one day what is your absolute cannot miss dining experience in Disney?

- There is a Halloween Party that night which we won't be attending, what time will the park close for regular ticket holders?

- I've heard Downtown Disney will be closed on this date, is that true or only certain parts will be closed?

So excited! I've been to Disneyland Paris lots of times and to WDW once when I was 11. I'm 26 now, can't wait to see the Mickey Ferris wheel!

One other question! Is it ok to buy tickets at the gates or should we book in advance? Is there any saving/advantage to booking in advance? Do you get through the line quicker?

We never park in the parking garage but I know it usually opens at 7:30 but that may be on the days the parks open at 8. You might find an answer on here or you could probably google it or call them.

Did you want to eat IN the parks or outside? Are you only going to Disneyland or to both parks? In Disneyland there is Blue Bayou which is mixed from people about the food. I personally think it is good but it is expensive but the ambiance can't be missed. That is the one inside pirates of the carribean. If you don't want to spend quite that much there is also Cafe Orleans which is decent. At DCA Carthay Circle is also excellent but again pricey.

I haven't been to a party in a few years but I believe it closes at 7 for regular park goers. I am sure someone else can answer exactly but again something you could also google or call if you don't get the answer. I think there is a big thread on here as well all about the halloween time activities.

There is quite a bit of the farther end that is closed down by the Disneyland hotel but there will still be parts open. The parts closer to the parks and esp the World of Disney store will be open and some of the other shops and restaurants.

Are you buying a hopper ticket? I would def do that if you are going on a halloween party day so that once you have to leave Disneyland you can hop to DCA to finish your day. My advice too is to get there at least a half hour before opening and do Max pass. That will help you be able to get in most of your rides. If you go to DL first and then hop to CA I would do single rider for cars since the fp's will most likely be gone by then. You can do that with the incredicoaster as well. You may get guardians but if not you may have to wait in the line.

Good luck and have a great time!

One other question! Is it ok to buy tickets at the gates or should we book in advance? Is there any saving/advantage to booking in advance? Do you get through the line quicker?

I would def buy them in advance. There are some discount sites online like undercover tourist where you can get a bit off the price and you can print the tickets at home and then just take them straight to the turnstile. That will save you time at the ticket booths. ALWAYS buy them at home because as I said not only can you save a bit of money then you don't have to mess with the line. And as I said I would def buy a parkhopper!

Oh and you can add the Disneyland app to your phone (you will need to do this if you plan on getting max pass) and you can go on there up to 60 days before your trip to book your dinning. If you want Blue Bayou esp since it is a party night I would do that at 60 days.

Blue Bayou is probably the best option for the ambiance alone. It's a cool experience. Unless you know someone who can get you into Club 33 of course....Try and be in line for the park about 30 minutes before they open as you can get a lot of big rides done in a short amount of time before it gets busy. I'm almost positive only certain parts of downtown Disney will be closed. It's the restaurants they are closing to build a hotel. Also just making sure you know that the Mickey Ferris Wheel is in California Adventure so make sure you are buying a park hopper to go to both parks. Also if you have a park hopper you can go to California Adventure after Disneyland closes for the Halloween Party.

Santa Monica is a long drive to Disneyland. I would seriously reconsider staying there the night before you drive to Disneyland. Especially in rush hour traffic in the morning. You really should try to stay in Anaheim or somewhere close to it in Orange county. Ideally you want to stay in Anaheim, less than one mile to Disneyland's front gate on South Harbor Blvd. You could also look for hotels in Orange, Garden Grove Fullerton, Anaheim Hills or Huntington Beach but it will be a drive or Uber to the park but a MUCH better drive than the journey from Santa Monica during morning traffic.

Hi, I will be travelling from Ireland to California in September for a 2 week road trip with my boyfriend. We will be spending one day in Disneyland (September 21st) and I have a couple of Qs:

- I understand that the park opens at 9am, when does the car park open and when should we be aiming to arrive into the car park? We will be driving from Santa Monica that morning

- I would like make dinner reservations, as we only have one day what is your absolute cannot miss dining experience in Disney?

- There is a Halloween Party that night which we won't be attending, what time will the park close for regular ticket holders?

- I've heard Downtown Disney will be closed on this date, is that true or only certain parts will be closed?

So excited! I've been to Disneyland Paris lots of times and to WDW once when I was 11. I'm 26 now, can't wait to see the Mickey Ferris wheel!

So, the park closes at 4 for regular ticket holders. If you're doing fastpass you can go to CA Adventure for Dinner, but if not, then you will not be able to make dinner reservations for that night in the parks unless you attend the party.
The park will likely open at 10 am.

I have not heard anything about Downtown Disney being closed completely on that day, but many things are permanently closed, closed for renovation, or only semi-operating while parts are under construction.

Blue Bayou is probably the best option for the ambiance alone. It's a cool experience. Unless you know someone who can get you into Club 33 of course....Try and be in line for the park about 30 minutes before they open as you can get a lot of big rides done in a short amount of time before it gets busy. I'm almost positive only certain parts of downtown Disney will be closed. It's the restaurants they are closing to build a hotel. Also just making sure you know that the Mickey Ferris Wheel is in California Adventure so make sure you are buying a park hopper to go to both parks. Also if you have a park hopper you can go to California Adventure after Disneyland closes for the Halloween Party.
Blue Bayou that night will only be open for reservations for the Halloween Party, per Disney's announcement yesterday.

We never park in the parking garage but I know it usually opens at 7:30 but that may be on the days the parks open at 8. You might find an answer on here or you could probably google it or call them.

Did you want to eat IN the parks or outside? Are you only going to Disneyland or to both parks? In Disneyland there is Blue Bayou which is mixed from people about the food. I personally think it is good but it is expensive but the ambiance can't be missed. That is the one inside pirates of the carribean. If you don't want to spend quite that much there is also Cafe Orleans which is decent. At DCA Carthay Circle is also excellent but again pricey.

I haven't been to a party in a few years but I believe it closes at 7 for regular park goers. I am sure someone else can answer exactly but again something you could also google or call if you don't get the answer. I think there is a big thread on here as well all about the halloween time activities.

There is quite a bit of the farther end that is closed down by the Disneyland hotel but there will still be parts open. The parts closer to the parks and esp the World of Disney store will be open and some of the other shops and restaurants.

Are you buying a hopper ticket? I would def do that if you are going on a halloween party day so that once you have to leave Disneyland you can hop to DCA to finish your day. My advice too is to get there at least a half hour before opening and do Max pass. That will help you be able to get in most of your rides. If you go to DL first and then hop to CA I would do single rider for cars since the fp's will most likely be gone by then. You can do that with the incredicoaster as well. You may get guardians but if not you may have to wait in the line.

Good luck and have a great time!
It closes at 4 for regular ticket holders.

Please also note, Mickey Ferris Wheel is only located in Disney California Adventure which you only have access to if you buy a park hopper.

I agree with others that you should try to time it to stay the night before at a motel/hotel within walking distance to Disneyland. Traffic in Southern California can be a nightmare, and you don't want to add extra stress the morning of your only day at the parks. Morning hours are crucial for optimizing your times as crowds will be lowest. There are a lot of budget friendly places near the park. You will thank yourself later for having the ability of walking instead of fighting your way through traffic, getting to the parking garage, getting a spot, and taking the tram (or bus if you park in the Toy Story lot).

I completely agree with this. If you can come down the night before and stay at one of the hotels on harbor, preferrably within walking distance, not only will you not need to pay to park but you can get there early to get in line.

ok good to know. I thought it used to be 7 or maybe that was at DW LOL. I haven't been to one of the parties since 13
Oh whoops I misread. So on party nights, if the party starts at 6, they start ushering you out at 5:30, and if it's 7, about 6:30. Toontoown closes at either 5 or 6 accordingly. I thought it was being asked what time the party guests start coming in!

Either way, Blue Bayou won't be taking reservations most likely within an hour to 90 minutes of party start time, so likely no dinner those days.

I agree with others that you should try to time it to stay the night before at a motel/hotel within walking distance to Disneyland. Traffic in Southern California can be a nightmare, and you don't want to add extra stress the morning of your only day at the parks. Morning hours are crucial for optimizing your times as crowds will be lowest. There are a lot of budget friendly places near the park. You will thank yourself later for having the ability of walking instead of fighting your way through traffic, getting to the parking garage, getting a spot, and taking the tram (or bus if you park in the Toy Story lot).
I like, tenth this lol.

From start to finish with parking, tram/bus, walking to the gate, picking up your tickets if you didn't buy them digitally, and the line to get in can take anywhere from 45-90 minutes, even on a nearly empty park day.

If you're coming from Ireland, will you have cellular data? WiFi is not park-wide, and it's spotty where it is accessible. MaxPass is mostly worthwhile if you have online access while you're in the parks, but it can still be helpful if you don't because your maximum wait time before you can pull another FP is 90 minutes rather than two hours.

A one day ticket should be purchased early direct from Disney.

Disneyland/DCA is a minimum 3 day park. So it will help you focus on the highlights you want to see in a day. Definitely stay at one of the m/hotels on harbor.

Is your itinerary flexible in any way? Is there any way you could move your DLR visit to Saturday, 9/22? That is not a MHP day, so you would have full park hours for both DL and DCA. There would be F! at night in DL and there should be PTN in DCA. And Saturdays have been pretty good overall crowd-wise. The above suggestions to spend the night before your DLR visit in Anaheim, preferably at a motel/hotel on Harbor Blvd. within close walking distance to the parks, are very good -- the earlier you can get to the gates, the more you'll get done in the parks. For just a one day visit, it seems that you'll spend a lot of money to see not as much as you could if you leave from Santa Monica and choose a MHP day, but don't want to attend the party. You might end up wasting a lot of time in traffic, be tired out already before you reach the parks, miss the low crowd hours in the early morning, definitely miss fireworks and Fantasmic! at DL, miss more park time by doing a TS meal (fun, but with only one day? and DLR has good CS food), etc. Just some things to think about...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter