• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First trip with a toddler

We are Magic Key holders and usually go a few times a month with our 2.5 year old son.

My son’s favorite rides in Disneyland are Winnie the Pooh, Casey Jr, Carousel, Small World, etc. He doesn’t like Mr. Toad or Pinocchio - says they’re too scary. He is also obsessed with Tom Sawyer Island.

Go for Peter Pan and Dumbo first in the morning. They tend to get long lines and don’t have Genie+.

I would do your second morning at Disneyland. There’s just way more rides/attractions there for toddlers.

My son doesn’t really care much about the Cars rides (and he’s too small for RSR), but your son may be different if he’s really into Cars. His favorite rides at CA are Little Mermaid, Jessie’s carousel, the Ferris wheel, and Monsters Inc. He also loves running around the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail.

My son is a champion stroller napper so my husband and I use that time to rider swap the big rides. That way we don’t waste as much time doing that while our son is awake.

I second taking advantage of the baby centers. When my son was in diapers we preferred taking him there to change him since the bathrooms are generally loud and overwhelming. Even now that he’s potty trained we try to take him there to use the tiny toilets they have for small children, as he feels more comfortable using those.

Another thing that we loved when my guy was a toddler ... bring your Ergo or other soft carrier. If they do make it to stay up later it is MUCH easier to navigate the park for night time with a kid on your back then it is to try and move a stroller through crowds. I would also turn my little guy to facing out in front of me for parades so that he was up high enough to see.

Also, my daughter loves to just run around. We always try to find a place to let her run and play.

No one has mentioned the Animation Building in DCA. I know my daughter wouldn’t sit for the class, but there is a lot to look at in there!
Yes! We sat there for like an hour while she just watched the changing clips.
Another thing that we loved when my guy was a toddler ... bring your Ergo or other soft carrier. If they do make it to stay up later it is MUCH easier to navigate the park for night time with a kid on your back then it is to try and move a stroller through crowds. I would also turn my little guy to facing out in front of me for parades so that he was up high enough to see.
I wish mine still would have fit one. She kept wanting to be held when we'd leave the stroller in a different area and she's about 35 lbs.

It sounds like the big thing we need to reconsider is not getting park hoppers. It sounds like that may be a mistake. Is it fairly easy to change tickets to include park hoppers after I've already purchased them? Is that something I need to do before I make our park reservations or can I wait until it's closer to the trip to decide?

Also, just wanted to add that we are coming from Colorado so mornings will be easy for us. We are not likely to stay in the parks too late because everything will feel later for the toddler with the time change so nighttime shows are likely not going to happen during this trip. My partner and I will switch off evenings in the park while the other stays in the room with the toddler while he sleeps at night.
Park hoppers was great for us, because she actually got really overtired and hot one day, so once we got back to the hotel, I stayed with her while my husband went to a different park.
Also from CO, so waving hi!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter