First visit to Disneyland advice...

coolingjupiter

Mouseketeer
So, we are going to California for the first time ever in April (right around Easter). I have been an obsessive planner for Walt Disney World vacations the past few years and have really come to know the ins and outs of a WDW vacation. However, I know NOTHING about Disneyland planning. A few questions for anyone that may want to indulge me:

1.) What are the perks for staying at a Disneyland hotel? They appear to be very expensive! I understand that there are only three official hotels, so they come at a premium, but when I saw the prices I was blown away! Is it necessary to stay at one of these hotels? It doesn't look like you get access to fast passes early and I have no idea about ADRs. If I stay at another hotel, do they run shuttles to the parks?

2.) It appears that fast passes are obtained similar to the old way from WDW, i.e. you go to the attraction, insert your card, and get a fast pass to come back at a later time. Is this the case?

3.) We can only go two days...do we get a park hopper or just two day tickets?

4.) Like a crazy person, I was able to book my September 2018 WDW vacation back in the summer of 2017. But when I went to check prices for Disneyland hotels, I couldn't select past December. When can I book a vacation for April 2019? Or I am simply missing something?

As you can probably tell, I haven't done too much research on this yet and I know there are a bunch of resources I need to look into (including resources on this very board)...I just wanted to see if anyone had any quick information handy to get me started. TIA!

1) Early entry to the parks every day is one perk (alternating parks). I think you get priority access to reservations as well, but you can usually get the reservations you want if you book them 60 days in advance. Usually you don't even need to book that early. Some offsite hotels have shuttles, some are within walking distance, some use ART (local transportation), and some would either require you to drive and park or use uber/yellow cab. We've only stayed onsite a couple times and didn't fully use any perks so someone else might be better at explaining. If you have any budget concerns and plan to spend all day in the parks I would find a decent motel near the crosswalk on Harbor and spend all the savings on other things. If you have no budget concerns, I would stay onsite, just because you can.

2) Yes, unless you get Maxpass. If you have MP you can get FP on your phone instead of walking to the attraction. It is awesome. I highly recommend this. I would do this any day over staying on site.

3) That is a tough one. I would do PH just because I'd rather spend 1.5 days in DL and .5 days in DCA. If your interests are evenly split you might not want to spend the extra for PH.

4) I don't know when those dates are available, but if you are comparing to DL to WDW I get the general impression that you'll need to lower your expectations for when reservations and general information is available. For example, park hours are only released about 6 weeks in advance at DL and much much earlier at WDW.

Good Luck!

If staying on site then you get EMH wen offer same with MM everyday. Direct entrance in the park DCA priority, has its own security, last August took us less than 2 minutes getting to rope drop. There are a few more, but my experience with this is limited only staying at GCH.

First step is to get out of WDW planning mode. Disneyland requires far less planning, and the planning that IS required takes place in a much shorter timeframe. For example, you can book dining at 60 days, not the 180 for WDW.

It's far more relaxing!

I wouldnt even consider staying onsite at DL for the prices they charge. So many off site hotels are closer to the gates than the onsite ones and being that DL is surrounded but shops and hotels its a very different vibe staying there. I dont think you lose anything staying of site as you do at WDW. They are two very different beasts.

Two days will be a big rush to try and "do it all". I would be picking out what you want as priority and trying to get that done first. I think park hopper are a must as I like to change parks. The parks are side by side with literally a 2 min walk between the entrances.

DL is very different to WDW. It has a very different vibe.

First up, RP is still key to making the most of your time. Up early, through security (have breakfast at Earl of Sandwich - Yum!) and then into the gate line nice and early.

I'd second not staying onsite at DL, plenty of hotels in walking distance, you might not need a bus, but some do have them. I've always been able to book an offsite hotel pretty far in advance. I stress to much though, there are a lot very close by.

If you havent already, download the MDE app and create an account. You can manage everything from there. I think I also read somewhere that advanced quick service dining ordering was coming as well, don't rely on my memory, check that one out! LOL.

MaxPass, is awesome, $10 pp per day is great value not to have to waste time walking to get FP. DL has less photo opps than WDW, which is something to note. Also, if you park hop, and you should they are so close - only about 200 metres separates the two gates (sorry, not sure in feet) you can book FP for one park while still in the other. For example we booked RSR passes while having an early lunch in DL and then wandered over to ride.

Yes to park hop for all the reasons I've just mentioned.

Generally I don't do dining events, but given my time again, I'd book a desert party for WOC to secure a good spot as it's a fabulous show.

Have a great trip.

This thread has lots of good information: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets.
Take a look at this thread, too: https://www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-dlr-area-hotel-for-you.3656512/.
This link can help you with DLR menus and ballpark budgeting (round up!): http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/dining/menus.cfm.
As the pp said, dining reservations are much more relaxed at DLR. Very few things require reservations at the 60 day mark. If you know for certain that you want to dine at a particular TS location (e.g. Blue Bayou in DL) or that you want certain dining packages (e.g. F! Dining Packages), then go ahead and book them early. But you can do this online or by phone, and you don't have to wait by the phone in the middle of the night. Some things do book quickly, like certain holiday meals or the Afternoon Tea at Steakhouse 55, so do book early for those.

This is from another WDW vet's thread, but the links will give you lots of good information for your trip planning. Read through them, then ask any further questions here!

I think you’ve been given some great advice from the previous posters. I’d like to add my take on DL hotels. We stayed at the Grand several years ago. While the common areas are great (stop in and have a drink or listen to the live piano player for free), the rooms are fine but nothing special. And at around $500 a night, they should be a lot better than “fine.”

I think you’ve been given some great advice from the previous posters. I’d like to add my take on DL hotels. We stayed at the Grand several years ago. While the common areas are great (stop in and have a drink or listen to the live piano player for free), the rooms are fine but nothing special. And at around $500 a night, they should be a lot better than “fine.”

Completely agree with this. We've stayed at the GCH and enjoyed it every time, but for those prices (even with an AP discount), I know I could get more off site. For example, we did a multi-night, multi-room stay at the Candy Cane Inn last year that saved us over $600 a night (in premium rooms) compared to the GCH (in standard rooms). The CCI was great, and we had a great time spending that extra money inside the parks, not on the hotel. The on site early hour perk is nice, but MaxPass more than helps us make up for that.

I personally will avoid staying off property when at all possible because my family of toddlers hits the park hard in the morning. We are at the gate 30 minutes before extra magic hour everyday for 5 days and that’s our prime park time.

If the price is turning you off or if you won’t use the early access then I agree with everyone else. Don’t bother.

Two days is plenty of time. I can finish everything I want in a day in both parks and the second day is for stuff you missed or want to ride again. I always get a park hopper but I usually only go for one day. Buying one park ticket a day and experiencing both on separate days is totally fine, however it is really convenient to go to both parks at your convenience since its literally a 2 minute walk. However it would be more expensive. It sucks they charge $10 for maxpass but it's totally worth it so you don't have to run around grabbing fast passes. I'd also recommend staying offsite. A lot of cheaper options that are just as close.

...If you havent already, download the MDE app and create an account. You can manage everything from there. I think I also read somewhere that advanced quick service dining ordering was coming as well, don't rely on my memory, check that one out!..

There is no MDE at DLR. There is the free Disneyland App -- and do download this! (Make sure your smart phone can handle the latest version -- some guests with older phones have reported problems with this.) Mobile ordering rolled out at DLR earlier this year. It works great!

As previously stated....check out the links above....they have the most complete info. With 2 days you will "get a taste" of Disneyland Resort. It is by NO means enough or plenty of time. We go for 4 days and do not get to do or see everything we intend to. There are so many little things and details to take in.
YES, get a park hopper!
If you stay offsite, stay in close walking distance... (Harbor Blvd. between HoJo and Candy Cane Inn). You do not want to be messing around with shuttles! I agree with pp about Candy Cane Inn...it is great! It is close walking distance (not immediately at the crosswalk) but less than 10 minutes on the same side of the street as the esplanade. AND they have their own shuttle that is timely and prompt, if you like (can be especially nice at night!) Otherwise, close to the crosswalk that leads to the esplanade (BWPPI).

We went on our most recent trip in May, had 5 day hoppers and still didn't do everything. We did use MaxPass and ride the headliners lots. I think amount of days depends on if you like to experience things you like multiple times, or just hit the highlights once.

We stay offsite as we don't spend much time at the hotel- generally just to sleep

Staying off site is a waste of time for us. Get so much more done at a more relaxing pace then the other hotels. We learned our lesson over the years. Kids are gone so we do it for us. There are much more expensive hotels in the US than the DLR ones.

I agree with you. We still have kids, but they love staying on site, and would rather just go for a week and stay at the GCH than go for a couple of days at the GCH in fall and a week at a hotel on Harbor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter