First visit to Disneyland advice...

I think you’ve been given some great advice from the previous posters. I’d like to add my take on DL hotels. We stayed at the Grand several years ago. While the common areas are great (stop in and have a drink or listen to the live piano player for free), the rooms are fine but nothing special. And at around $500 a night, they should be a lot better than “fine.”

Agreed 1000%. The hotel was built in the Eisner era and rooms are sized accordingly. They’re tiny for what you pay.

Agreed 1000%. The hotel was built in the Eisner era and rooms are sized accordingly. They’re tiny for what you pay.

I wouldn't go so far as to call them tiny, but they're certainly not worth $600 a night (or whatever they charge now). Again, drop by the lobby/common areas if you have the time. Or stop by the bar. It's very nice, has Wi-Fi and actually very reasonable. It's very elegant and worth a try. When my mother visits, she needs a break from the constant noise of DL -- she finds it stressful. I always prescribe a dose of gin and tonic ;-).

I guess it depends on what type of Disney goer you are if two days is enough time. Because two days is more than enough time for me to see everything I want. Obviously not every single thing but there are some things I don't care to see. But if you are the type of person that likes to casually stroll around and shop and take your time 2 days might not be enough but if you are on a mission to try and see and do everything without wasting much time and taking advantage of all your fast passes and skipping some shows then its easily enough time. Like I said I usually go for one day and am able ride all of the major rides in both parks. But if you literally want to see every show and every ride that's a different story.

Thanks, everyone. We’ve never been to California before so we want to see more than just Disneyland, which is why we only have two days. I’m the type of person that runs around the place to do as much as I can in one day, so I’m pretty sure we’ll get to see the major things we want. One day I’ll book a trip for longer and take my time, but not this time! I’m very relieved that it’s not as crazy to plan in advance like WDW. I’ll be doing my research once my sixty day fass pass mark for my upcoming WDW trip has passed. Then I will concentrate on Disneyland. Thanks again!!!

Okay, next question: would it be better to go to DL the weekend before Easter or the weekend of Easter? It's basically either the Saturday and Sunday of the weekend before Easter or the Friday and Saturday of the weekend of Easter.

Okay, next question: would it be better to go to DL the weekend before Easter or the weekend of Easter? It's basically either the Saturday and Sunday of the weekend before Easter or the Friday and Saturday of the weekend of Easter.
I do not think it will matter very much or at all. Looks like Easter 2019 will be late - April 21. With it being that late then Easter weekend may be better? Not sure. But both will fall in Spring Break time which is pretty busy at DLR.

I do not think it will matter very much or at all. Looks like Easter 2019 will be late - April 21. With it being that late then Easter weekend may be better? Not sure. But both will fall in Spring Break time which is pretty busy at DLR.

Thank you! It looks like we are going to go the weekend of Easter. It will be crowded, but it’ll still be fun! As a teacher, I’ve gotten used to going to Disney when it’s packed!

Thanks, everyone. We’ve never been to California before so we want to see more than just Disneyland, which is why we only have two days. I’m the type of person that runs around the place to do as much as I can in one day, so I’m pretty sure we’ll get to see the major things we want. One day I’ll book a trip for longer and take my time, but not this time! I’m very relieved that it’s not as crazy to plan in advance like WDW. I’ll be doing my research once my sixty day fass pass mark for my upcoming WDW trip has passed. Then I will concentrate on Disneyland. Thanks again!!!

You should be fine then. Being it is your first time I would probably buy 1 day park ticket for both days. Just concentrate on doing everything you want in each park each day instead of worrying about trying to get over to the other park for a fastpass or another ride (which I'm guilty of doing). Being that I usually only go for one day and usually get to do all of the major attractions in both parks, 1 day at each park should give you plenty of time to do the major attractions and more. Just make sure you take full advantage of Maxpass and grab maxpass tickets as soon as they are available. ALso the first hour of park opening the lines are usually pretty dead so you can grab a maxpass then walk onto another major attraction. Sometimes they open the gates early too which helps so try to be in line at least 30 min early, and you will knock out a few major attraction within the first hour. Another option would be to buy a 1 day ticket for Disneyland and the 2nd day buy a park hopper, as DCA isn't as big and you might have time to go back to Disneyland to ride more of the rides there the 2nd day.

We stayed off site at an AirBnB three miles away. We were there for rope drop four out of four days and left after night time entertainment. We used the extra cash to do lots of other things. This was a party of nine (6 kids) that committed to getting out the door.

We stayed off site at an AirBnB three miles away. We were there for rope drop four out of four days and left after night time entertainment. We used the extra cash to do lots of other things. This was a party of nine (6 kids) that committed to getting out the door.

Funny you should mention this...I was just look at AirBnBs. So much cheaper!

16 time WDW visitor (from year the park opened thru last year). Went to DL this April for 3 days. You can do it in 2 depending upon crowds. Hopper a must, MP a must, must, must (I was reluctant at first, would never go without it and hope WDW gets something similar). Stayed off-site which was great but next time would do on-site as it's only 2 days so we could experience the hotels (have stayed at every WDW hotel). Frankly, except for missing EPCOT, we found DL to be as good if not better than WDW in many aspects. Granted we went during a slow time and can not imagine being there when it's crowded. If your a WDW vet you know the drill, arrive EARLY, break mid day, go back at night, use MP. Have fun you'll love it

16 time WDW visitor (from year the park opened thru last year). Went to DL this April for 3 days. You can do it in 2 depending upon crowds. Hopper a must, MP a must, must, must (I was reluctant at first, would never go without it and hope WDW gets something similar). Stayed off-site which was great but next time would do on-site as it's only 2 days so we could experience the hotels (have stayed at every WDW hotel). Frankly, except for missing EPCOT, we found DL to be as good if not better than WDW in many aspects. Granted we went during a slow time and can not imagine being there when it's crowded. If your a WDW vet you know the drill, arrive EARLY, break mid day, go back at night, use MP. Have fun you'll love it
It really depends on how you tour. DLR has some excellent night time shows that are better than WDW's. But WDW is catching up. World of Color (down right now) is the best show ever IMO, Paint the Night parade is the best parade ever, Fantasmic is better. The new DL fireworks show is IMO much weaker than the newish HEA at MK. The Frozen stage show at DCA is excellent and better than any of the WDW stage shows IMO. But I still love FOTLK. :)

Seeing the DLR shows takes time. We had four days in June with a 3 year old and needed every bit of that for her (plus a full EMH on 3 days) as she wanted to repeat certain favorite rides.

If you are focused on rides and, of those, focused on the headliners, yes two days enough just like four days is enough at WDW if you are mostly just focused on rides.

:wizard:

The first time I go, I’m going to be mostly focused on rides and catch nighttime fireworks/parades. I plan on being back at some point! :)

Thanks. We are only a party of two so we need smaller accommodations...but I’m pretty confident we will be using AirBnB!

We're looking at going next fall (2019), and it will be our family of 4, with possibly a few extra friends. I'd love to know of close by AirBnB leads you might have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter