• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First week of June Vs July

Julia S

Earning My Ears
Hi! What’s the difference between going the first week of June (May 31-June 7th, 2018) vs mid July as far as weather and crowds? It would be nice to go in July since the new toy story area will be open. Just wondering how much hotter and more crowded July is. Please help! :)

Hi! What’s the difference between going the first week of June (May 31-June 7th, 2018) vs mid July as far as weather and crowds? It would be nice to go in July since the new toy story area will be open. Just wondering how much hotter and more crowded July is. Please help! :)
Mid-July will probably be less crowded. We went to WDW in July of 2015 and 2016, and had great visits with minimal crowds.

Expect heat, naturally, and there will also likely be rain and/or lightning for a while each afternoon. The lightning closes down outdoor attractions and pools until they assess that the danger has passed. Schedule your outdoor rides for the morning (before noon) as much as possible, because morning is the least likely time of day for rain or lightning.

Last edited:
I will add that we coped with the heat by taking midday breaks, and doing active park touring mostly in the mornings and evenings. I also used a small UV umbrella as a parasol, and always wore sunglasses when it was bright out. I wore sturdy, waterproof Tevas sandals, so that wet feet from rainshowers wouldn't feel miserable. I kept myself hydrated, and didn't wear myself out carrying heavy bags of stuff around the parks all day.

Being prepared for the heat & sun and taking care of yourself in a hot climate makes as much of a difference to your comfort as being prepared for cold does in a cold climate.

I can't add anything about early June, but I did visit during Mid-July in 2017 and have a July trip planned for this summer as well. Crowd levels were some of the lowest that I've ever experienced last summer. I'm wondering if Toy Story Land will have an impact on crowds this summer though. I would agree with everything that the previous poster said. It is very hot, humid and usually stormy for a bit each day, but in my opinion, totally doable. Cooling towels helped my family tremendously. I also found that moisture wicking clothes are a must.

Thank you, everyone! Do you think the week of July 9 and the week of July 16 are basically the same?

July will be insane this year because of Toy Story Land. In terms of whether they’re about the same, but i’m planning on july being much more crowded which can actually make it feel hotter because the pools and parks will be more crowded.

Thank you, everyone! Do you think the week of July 9 and the week of July 16 are basically the same?

Yes, pretty much. Crowds aren't bad at all. It's hot, but you'd expect that with Florida in summer. T-storms will be hit or miss. You may go a week without a single one (they could happen overnight), you may go a week straight with one every day....it's pretty random. You may have a t-storm in MK while it's sunny in AK at the same time.

July is peak season for the South American Tour groups. That would be my only caution.

Early June will be a little better both from a heat and crowd level standpoint. You will not have the Toy Story Land craziness as it does not open until June 30th.

Another reason for looking at the 1st week of July with a somewhat jaded eye. The 4th of July helped some friend with a trip last year for the 1st and 2nd weeks of July and they told me the 2nd week was a LOT easier to do. The 4th was so crowded they left MK and went back to the GF and hid out.

I'm sure statistically, the first week of June wouldn't be as hot as July, but I will say that we did the first week of June a few years back and it was the hottest of all our trips. It was definitely hotter than the first week of July when we went last summer. I would say the temperature difference between the two are negligible. We certainly did not find the crowds last year to be burdensome in July. We were in Epcot on July 4th which allowed for crowds to spread out better than at MK. The rest of the week was very doable, crowd-wise. If we were going this year and were interested in Toy Story Land, I would have no qualms about going in July vs. June.

I would avoid July 4th for crowds at all costs.

We going in June this year and will miss Toy Story Land. It's a bummer, but the crowds will be insane in July!

I would avoid July 4th for crowds at all costs.

We going in June this year and will miss Toy Story Land. It's a bummer, but the crowds will be insane in July!

One thing nobody knows for sure is how Toy Story Land opening will effect things, so that's a wild card. Outside of that, I wouldn't say avoid July 4th at all costs. MK itself, in the evening, is nuts on July 4th, as well as the 3rd. Beyond that, it's really not bad at all.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter