• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fish Allergy and Akershus?

Jess

Earning My Ears
Hi! DS5 has a severe allergy to fish (and also peanuts, tree nuts...has had anaph. reactions...). We have a PS for the Akershus/Norway Princess Storybook Lunch for DD2 who is a Princess fan. Anyone have any experiences to share about this restaurant, which is supposedly heavy on fish dishes? On the restaurant forum, someone said there was actually not much in the way of fish offered at the buffet. The chef called and assured me there would be options for DS but I am still a little nervous. :confused3

Any insights would be most appreciated! :confused3

There are considerable fish items on the buffet at Akerhus. There are also other items. I would look at the items he can eat and then ask that he be served from a new untouched platter to avoid cross contamination. Since people are serving themselves utensils can easily go betwen fish and non-fish items.

True, true, true. I actually considered bringing in my own utensils for him! Many chefs have offered to get items directly from the kitchen so we don't risk any x-contam. Thanks for your suggestions!!

We just ate there (but it was for supper, not one of the Storybook Princess meals). It is possible that the Storybook Princess meals don't have much in the way of fish on the buffet. Since there are lots of kids, they may have more "child familiar" items on the buffet for those meals. But the supper buffet tables have lots of fish and the hot entrees included a salmon dish and a white fish dish.
The only buffet table I didn't see any fish on was the cheese table at the far right. All the other tables had fish (some had more than one kind of fish). There was a whole table of different types of herring.
And, as Talking Hands mentioned, because people are serving themselves, it's possible to have cross-contamination.

I would work with the chef ahead of time to "pre-order" what you want and skip any food from the buffet. My DS has severe allergies to milk, eggs, peanut & treenuts. At the time we didn't know about fish, since I'm allergic. They came up with a safe, if a bit bland meal for him, which they plated in the kitchen. They did a chicken breast and cleaned the grill or pan to avoid any contamination.

I must confess that when DS was young, but with a little sister who REALLY wanted to eat with the characters, that the whole buffet thing was really frazzled making all the special arrangements for food. The sit-down restuarants are MUCH easier.

I agree that a child with severe food allergies and a buffet could be big trouble.

It may be best to contact the restaurant ahead of time and have a single meal prepared with some of the child's favorites. Disposable plates and utensils would eliminate any chance of contamination.

Don't forget dessert. :earsboy:

You may want to call the restaurant directly with your questions. I have taken my peanut allergic DD5 to the Princess breakfast in the castle without any problems, twice. The chef, on both occasions has come out, spoken to me and said that all "safe" items will be prepared for my daughter in separate pans.

I have not taken her to any buffets, but it is my understanding that, providing the restaurant is informed of your allergy ahead of time, the chef will walk the buffet line with you, identify which foods are safe for you/your child, and prepare a fresh portion, in clean pans for you.

Have a safe trip!

Hope this info helps,
DVCDawn ::MinnieMo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter