• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fish Extenders-Be Honest

OH MY GOSH, I thought I was the only one feeling the exact same thing. I've been doing it since our PC cruise in 2005, it's inception. It crazy to read people complaining about what they get or what they spent over what they receive. Or the controversy over candy or alcohol or trinkets and on and on. It used to be so much fun and no worries about trying to top the next guy. It never was intended to be high end gift giving. It never was to be strictly Disney gifts or strictly crafts. It was never about one person in charge of calling the shots and letting you in the group or deleting you out if they so choose. It wasn't about having rules or leaders of the group making all the decisions like an HOA board. Now I'm reading about people taking charge of the FE groups that are not even on the cruise. Way, way too much control. Once people wanted it off the DISboards and onto FB in my eyes it went spiraling downhill. I have always LOVED doing the FE but we will not be participating the next two cruises. They say change is good but I don't see it in this regard.

I think there are a lot of us starting to feel this way about the FEs. While most participants have their hearts in the right place and their intentions are good, it's gotten a little crazy with people...not necessarily trying to "top" everyone else...but more just trying to come up with something new/unique that hasn't been given before. This has lead to the gifts getting more and more elaborate/fancy/etc. (which then usually means larger and more expensive). Which then leads to everyone else trying to match because they don't want to feel bad that the stuff they gave out was inadequate.

I can certainly understand the problems people have with the people who take charge of the lists and try to dictate all the rules. Some vague guidelines mostly aimed at keeping it under control are okay, but I don't like when the organizers or other participants start listing things they don't want given to them. That's kind of nervy and probably has been the worst development IMO.

Last edited:
We have participated in FEs for nearly every DCL cruise we have done and really enjoy it. We have had small groups (shorter cruise, meet thread only had a few families) and larger groups, both international sailings where we fly and Port Canaveral sailings where we drive. We prefer to NOT split into groups - we like to give to all who are participating. We also don't like "rules" with FEs such as deliver on specific days, cabin gifts, kids only, etc. - it's a GIFT from us to our fellow passengers / new friends so we like to pick what and how much to give and when to deliver and such. For some cruises, we've spent so much money on the cruise and excursions that we haven't had a lot of $$ for FE gifts, so we've done simple but thoughtful; for others, we've had more money to use for gifts or maybe there have been fewer cabins, so we've been able to do something different. Some cruises we've given handmade things; other cruises we have bought departure port specific things to give.

We have sailed on other cruise lines and I have to say it is a little sad to come back to the cabin and not find our happy FE hanging by the door.

We also like to have a reason to "walk the halls" by the cabins - we like to see the magnets and such and sometimes it feels a little creepy to just walk the halls with no purpose besides looking at cabin doors - but when we have a bag full of gifts to deliver, it feels better :)

On the next to the last day, we spread all the goodies out on the bed that we have received during a cruise and sort them into those things that we absolutely want to take home with us (pencils, postcards, notepads are all great to have for use at the office or for school work and make good reminders of the new friends and experiences we've had - DS was looking for a bookmark yesterday and we found one that someone had given us in 2010 - handmade/laminated that just had DISNEY FONT on it to say MAGIC 2010 - simple and useful). We make a pile of things that we can give our stateroom host such as candy, alcohol (we don't drink), other things that might be appreciated among cast members, and a pile of things that we might want to give someone when we get home (our kids are teens now but we have Disney loving friends with younger children, so pirate patches, bead necklaces, stickers, etc., go to them). We also had cabin neighbors with small children who we re-gifted some items too!

Some of our favorite FE gifts have been things that we have been able to actually use on the cruise. Waterless soap strips (needed them in Italy when there was no soap in a restroom - I passed out soap strips to all the other women who were also looking for soap because I had tossed them in my day bag after I got it out of the FE). A change purse that I still use, perfect for holding those foreign coins while traveling. Little bottles of hand sanitizer, safety pins, clothes pins (with some Disney ribbon hot-glued on to decorate), magnets for the door. Bandaids,

I only learned about the FE experience before our last cruise a few years ago now, and we didn't do it because I felt the same way that it sounds like a lot of work. Then after the cruise and seeing some of the great gifts that people shared I really wish we would've participated in it. My kids would've had a blast delivering the gifts to the rooms around the ship. And like others have said it's not about spending lots of money, some of the coolest gifts were the handmade ones... I would definitely give it a try to at least then know for sure you like it or hate it. Looking back I wish our family would've participated on our cruise and know who knows when we'll make it back on DCL again... Family is growing too big for the cost.. :S

I remember when it first got going that people didn't even label who it was from and certainly didn't keep track of who you did or did not receive from. There wasn't even "groups". You gave to who you wanted to and when you wanted to. It's sad when it's considered "pixie dust" and people feel the need to list what they do or do not want/like. When it comes to gift giving no one should dictate what should be given or considered proper. Just accept it all graciously. If you don't want or like it, keep it to yourself. Use your manners that your parents taught you. I say all this but I realize not all are like that but it only takes a few to spoil it for the nice guys.

We did the FE on our first cruise but that was 5 years ago. My son is now 16 so I'm wondering if it is just for smaller kids. Thinking maybe since it is a short cruise we don't want to bother with taking up time to deliver items and such. Not sure. Thoughts???

on our last cruise a couple weeks ago, two groups in our party were without kids. One was an older couple. The other was a mom and adult daughter. I can't speak for them as to the fun they had. They did participate and we enjoyed what they gave as gifts!!! :D

My husband and I sailed Alaska last September (our first Disney cruise...first ever cruise actually) and I decided to do the FE. We went without our 4 kids on this trip, but I thought if we did the FE it would give us some things to bring back to the kids that would be unique...plus I had a lot of fun getting gifts to hand out all over the ship. We got some unique gifts. Some of the gifts were things I wouldn't use. Most of it the kids loved and ended up enjoying. The best part of the whole experience, in my opinion, was the opportunity to meet people. Our FE group corresponded via a Facebook group page before our trip. We all got to know one another through that venue and we scheduled a meeting in one of the lounges on the ship to meet everyone face to face on an at sea day. During that meeting, my husband and I met a couple from Florida, and we became fast friends. The next day, we ran into them on the top deck on Tracy Arm day and they told us that they wanted to pay for us to go to Palo for dinner. They ended up adding us to their reservation that night and we got to experience a Palo dinner and were able to spend a couple of hours getting to know this wonderful couple better. We have since been in contact and have even met again while we took a recent trip to Florida. The FE gifts were silly and fun, but the best part of the whole idea was the privilege to meet new people and make new life-long friends! For this reason I will never hesitate to do the FE exchange again. :)

My husband and I are seniors and enjoy the FE fun. We did it on our PC cruise and are doing it again to Hawaii this year. It's not just for kids.

We loved each and every item we received in our FE. We got lots of candy, and that was very useful for the movies and shows. Our kids shared their candy with the friends they met in the clubs, so it was a nice ice breaker for them. We got items that were helpful while on the cruise, and some great hand crafted gifts that we use at home. We got a couple of activity sets that gave the kids something to do on the plane on the way home. We kept our exchange to 15 cabins. There was no complaining about what people got, most of us still keep in touch on our FE/Cruise meet page. It was a lovely experience for us.

This will be my first FE. I pretty much expect to receive items that are probably throwaways. But for me, I like to give rather than receive. So for me, it's fun just to come up with ideas for what to give the other guests. It probably is not worth it monetarily but I don't care, it's my daughter's first experience on a cruise ship (she is 3.5) and Disney related so I'm just hoping she has a blast.

We have done FE's. Yes, we did a lot of personalized gifts with a lot of thought. We got some cool stuff back, and some candy. We didn't bring my DS, so it was just us. And yes, it was a LOT of work. A LOT OF WORK and stress to make sure everything was right.

However, it was unique and fun and I plan to do it again. Some things are worth the work. It really was neat to come back to presents all the time.

This will be my first FE. I pretty much expect to receive items that are probably throwaways. But for me, I like to give rather than receive. So for me, it's fun just to come up with ideas for what to give the other guests. It probably is not worth it monetarily but I don't care, it's my daughter's first experience on a cruise ship (she is 3.5) and Disney related so I'm just hoping she has a blast.
This is my attitude as well. I am having fun with my 13 DD coming up with ideas, doing test runs etc. I also look forward to exploring the ship while being involved with the FEs. Its always better to give than to receive !!

I'm posting here partly to follow and partly because I really need to get to 10 posts so I can send a PM and join an FE group. We participated as part of a pixie dust group on our first cruise because I signed up too late. We still got some great stuff. My son's favorite gift was Mickey stickers.

Ok so I responded to this thread a while back saying I wouldn't be doing it, etc. Well I drank the kool aid and now I'm doing it for our upcoming cruise LOL Friends of ours just came back from their first disney cruise and had a blast - and received some amazing FE gifts. She also said they had so much fun delivering all their gifts, their kids (who are the same ages as ours) had fun receiving them and delivering them so in the end I figured why not? ;-)

We did not do FE gifts on our 4 day cruises but did it twice on our seven day cruises. It takes time to organize before the cruise but my daughter and I enjoyed delivering our gifts. Our gifts we received have been very nice. Last cruise we got a christmas ornament. I think it is fun to do and just enjoy it.

Thank you all so much for your posts. I have decided to dive in and do it!! Our cruise is only 7 weeks away and I am almost done with all the gifts so that helps my stress level. It may be a lot of work but I want my son to have the best experience possible so why not! I will report about it when I am done. I may have a different attitude after that :-)

Ok the FE was fantastic. Had a group of 15 cabins and it was perfect. You just have to be in the mindset that it isn't work. You are on vacation and it is fun. Also a great way to see other parts of the ship.

My opinion..........DD (adult) and I did it on a 7 day cruise.
It was a lot of work, a lot of packing and a lot of running around delivering.
Thought it would be fun.....I love giving things.
As to receiving....we received a couple nice things we brought back with us, a few things we left for the cabin steward and the rest went in the trash.
Didn't do it the next cruise....and now with another coming, I keep going back and forth. A lot of cons.....but I do like giving.

Hi,

We have jus booked our first ever Disney cruise (and first proper just the 3 of us family holiday!)
I've signed up to a fe group, mainly it's just because I love crafty things and think it will be exciting. Our son will be four then, what four year old doesn't love a surprise gift!

I do have some questions though:
Is it like secret gift giving or do you "sign" your gifts?
I've seen fe with personalised pockets, are you supposed to give a separate gift to each person in the room or just a group gift? If it's a group gift, how do you decide which pocket to put it in? Daft question, I know!
Love the idea of pixie dust, do you just randomly put things in fe's you see?

My better half isn't as excited about the gift making as me but he is happy I am excited and is giving helpful suggestions :)

It's supposed to be fun, not stressful. I enjoy thinking up and finding gifts for the FEs. I do it because I like giving gifts to people to help make their cruise more memorable and so they have something to remind them of their time onboard when they get home. Usually it is a dated magnet I create at Vistaprint or that I creat for each person that is personalized. I also try to give Disney themed items. One of my personal favorites to give is a Minnie Mouse nail file along with other Disney themed stuff. Be creative and have fun. I don't expect to get back. I have even ordered many extra magnets and put them on randome doors where people decorated their door but were not in our FE. This was especially fun to do on the Panama Canal cruise.
M y dd and I read your post and agree 100%!!! We love the making and giving!

And we love the random magnets -were so doing that on our 9/26 cruise ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter