Fish Extenders

k. I just wanted to hang it as a decoration. bummer. thanks for the info!
I’ve heard mixed response on this from people who have already sailed. Some people have been asked to bring theirs back in and hang it inside. Others were able to leave theirs to mark their cabins. The exchange pause is most definitely meant to keep people from being unnecessarily in the halls.
So if you put it up, there might be a request to hang it inside.

We were on the Fantasy 11/28-12/5. We hung a stocking as a decoration, and to help see our room from down the hall. Others did the same. Saw several FE hung also, as well as pin boards, and candy canes for the taking. Had pixie dust left in our stocking, though that is not why we hung it. Saw people exchange ornaments by hanging them on the hook or on a magnetic hook on the door. Recipe cards were left on the doors by magnets also. Everything was still up at the end of the week, no one was asked to remove anything as far as we saw.

We saw a couple hung on the Dream last week. It was a surprise, since we knew they are currently verboten... we figured someone didn't get the memo and they'd be taken down by their Cabin Steward before long... I didn't notice if they stayed up or not.

I saw photos of door decorations from a November Wonder cruise. Many of the doors had fish extenders next to them, some had them hanging on the door.

ok I feel dumb but what the heck is a fish extender....
WHAT IS A FISH EXTENDER? (FE)
Outside your room onboard is a message holder, in most cases it's shaped like a fish (but can be a starfish or sea horse):

629171 641705

The fish is there for Disney to place important communications to you such as excursion tickets and notes from the Cruise staff. It is like a mailbox for your room. A Fish Extender (FE) it is something that you hang off the fish, much like a pocketed organizer.

By hanging the Fish Extender off of the fish, the Cast Members can still use it for its original purpose.

Once a cruise meet thread is up and running, someone in the group will (should?) step up and say "I'll maintain the Fish Extender exchange list". That person is the center point for all those who want to participate in the exchange. The list can be as simple as DISnames/room number/number of guests or as involved as full names/room number/ages of guests/like & dislikes/allergies/favorite characters/whatever is deemed necessary to know assemble the gifts.

Then each room on the FE list (note this will not be everyone on the Cruise Meet thread for your specific cruise), makes a Fish Extender holder. THIS IS NOT A ONE ON ONE EXCHANGE, YOU ARE PART OF A GROUP. All the people in the exchange buy or make little items and place them in each other's fish extenders(either individual gifts or room gifts - whatever is decided by your group) to be delivered during the cruise).. It is great fun to come back and check the items you have received.

Attachments

• dream 2014 8559 room number sea horse 14219 P1020436 1500.jpg
    dream 2014 8559 room number sea horse 14219 P1020436 1500.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:
I wouldn't have known they were even not possibly allowed, if I hadn't seen it here on the board.

I wouldn't have known they were even not possibly allowed, if I hadn't seen it here on the board.
If you have a cruise booked, you get multiple emails that give you information about all the changes and links to more information with changes and it's listed there. So if you're not sailing soon, you wouldn't necessarily know.

If you have a cruise booked, you get multiple emails that give you information about all the changes and links to more information with changes and it's listed there. So if you're not sailing soon, you wouldn't necessarily know.

And if you are, by “not knowing other than here” you outed yourself as not reading the emails thoroughly.

Honestly you should never just skim them, but especially now with things changing.

Ha! Outed myself - didn't realize it was that serious. I wasn't griping or anything. I haven't seen an email. I am cruising soon. BUT I'm horrible at keeping up with emails so that is ENTIRELY possible! :P

We saw about a dozen being used on our deck on our Dec 5th Fantasy cruise - some with the traditional extenders, others with just bags and stuff. Pretty obviously they were not being told to bring them in. Lots of doors decorated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter