• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

FISH EXTENDERS

lovealldisney

Lover of all things Disney!
Hi all,
I'm participating in a fish extender adult only group. First time for me. My question is, do I give a gift for the entire party in the cabin or for each individual person? May I ask how much you spend per cabin?

Thanks so much

Hi all,
I'm participating in a fish extender adult only group. First time for me. My question is, do I give a gift for the entire party in the cabin or for each individual person? May I ask how much you spend per cabin?

Thanks so much

You will have to ask in your exchange cruise group how they are doing their exchange. They will tell you if it is a per person or stateroom exchange. They will also tell you if they require a price point to meet or not. I don’t like adding a price point for Fish Exchanges I run for my groups but some do add a minimum and maximum price points.

Usually it's one gift per cabin. $7 - 25 seems to be the high-low range for a small group (10 cabins or less). $10 - 15 is probably typical. This is based on my value estimates from my experience, not quoted minimums/maximums.

I varied my FE plan based on the ages of people in the cabins. Families with little little kids I steered more towards family gifts for everyone, while families with older kids I did more individualized gifts and a family gift.
I thought an age-appropriate Disney card game would be fun and they could play that on the cruise, or a Disney themed book for little ones would be great to read to them at bed time on the cruise.

I second the guidance of talking to your group leader and/or carefully reading the participation rules. We've had a couple of FE groups over the years that we put a lot of time and effort into only to get dollar store junk in return. We've also had some that have completely blown our minds. I still have a hand-turned wooden pen that one gentleman made - my favorite pen to this day.

Bottom line - be reasonable on the price, I think the suggestion above was good - and ask yourself, "how would I feel if I or my family got this?" And have fun with it! I love the groups where they ask what your favorite characters are - when someone gives you something with your character on it it's really nice!

It can be either whole-cabin or individuals, for some - they might not dictate. We participated in one that didn't dictate specifics in that area - we shared names/ages/favorite characters though, so some did individual gifts. Others did whole-cabin gifts, like the custom-painted picture frame we got from one. On that cruise, I did a whole-cabin gift b/c it was an assembly of small games meant to be shared (deck of cards with pad and pen, custom-DCL magnetic tic-tac-toe set, etc.) themed to DCL/Alaska. I should note that I knew all of the recipients were nuclear families; I wouldn't have done that if they were friends traveling together or the like, b/c it would have been awkward to divvy up.

unless you have been told these things, you do what you want.
FE is supposed to be fun, it's not a requirement that you spend X amount of $ or that you give X amount of gifts etc.

Just have fun with the gift exchange and enjoy your cruise.
this is just my opinion but if you're being told what to spend etc, then I'd get out of that group. I don't need that stress in my life when I'm cruising to have fun.

Awesome! We're in a 10 cabin exchange. Thank you for your help.
We have done it both ways! Per cabin or per person. Sometimes it goes unsaid and people do a mix of both. As a receiver we have received gifts that might have easily cost more than $10 per person and at times received items that cost less than $10 per cabin with four cruisers.

So it varies a lot. Ask if your group has specific guardrails and if not do what you think is best and can afford to do.

I second the guidance of talking to your group leader and/or carefully reading the participation rules. We've had a couple of FE groups over the years that we put a lot of time and effort into only to get dollar store junk in return. We've also had some that have completely blown our minds. I still have a hand-turned wooden pen that one gentleman made - my favorite pen to this day.

Bottom line - be reasonable on the price, I think the suggestion above was good - and ask yourself, "how would I feel if I or my family got this?" And have fun with it! I love the groups where they ask what your favorite characters are - when someone gives you something with your character on it it's really nice!
On the fe group where you put effort in and recieved dollar items, was it clearly stated what was expected?

Hello! For the fish extender groups, do you do one gift for the period of the cruise, or do you do a daily gift? I think I went a little overboard and bought something for every day/every person!

Hello! For the fish extender groups, do you do one gift for the period of the cruise, or do you do a daily gift? I think I went a little overboard and bought something for every day/every person!
Just once for the cruise, not everyday unless your specific group said they are doing it everyday. But the general rule is one and done.

I would like to do an adult only FE as there will be 6 of us adults going. We won’t be going till May 2025. I hope that can happen!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter