• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fishing and Crabbing at and around Hilton Head?

jenhelgren

DIS Veteran
Is the fishing and crabbing at the resort seasonal or can something be caught year round? Is a fishing license required for the pier on Disney property? I saw that the resort sells crabbing nets and rents poles but couldn't find any reviews about the actual fishing. We are from the Midwest so my son would not have a clue how/where to fish, but he does have a travel pole that I know we will be bringing with :)

Any fishing or crabbing equipment/technique advice for the resort or close by is much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

You can buy a fishing license at the Walmart on the island, it's like $10. If I remember correctly, you don't need one if you're fishing off of Disney(private) property. I don't fish, my son does, and he caught a few pretty big fish at the end of the property. He filleted it up and it was very good! Don't ask me what kind it was, I don't remember! This was in August.

13882226_10100462963559436_6636376532976008097_n.jpg 13939453_10100462964013526_4900550015392328731_n.jpg
We are from the midwest also. Another option is to charter a fishing trip. We have fished for catfish, northern, walleye etc but shark and redfish were new to us. The guide was excellent. All catch and release but my grandson caught a shark that was bigger than he was. All in all we caught 15-20 fish in 2 hours.

You definitely do not have to buy a license if you fish off the pier at the resort. My DSs are big-time fishermen, both fishing for their colleges, and their favorite thing to do is fish from the pier and do a fishing charter. This is all they do when we are at Hilton Head. I just asked my older DS and he suggested using live bait that you can catch from the pier with a cast net. With the live bait, they have caught small sharks, bluefish, and flounder. They have also caught redfish and sea trout with live shrimp. As far as crabbing, they use cut-up chicken breasts they buy from the nearby Kroger as bait in the crab nets. I'm not sure when you will be there. We are headed there in June. We can't wait! It's our favorite vacation spot. Have fun!

You definitely do not have to buy a license if you fish off the pier at the resort. My DSs are big-time fishermen, both fishing for their colleges, and their favorite thing to do is fish from the pier and do a fishing charter. This is all they do when we are at Hilton Head. I just asked my older DS and he suggested using live bait that you can catch from the pier with a cast net. With the live bait, they have caught small sharks, bluefish, and flounder. They have also caught redfish and sea trout with live shrimp. As far as crabbing, they use cut-up chicken breasts they buy from the nearby Kroger as bait in the crab nets. I'm not sure when you will be there. We are headed there in June. We can't wait! It's our favorite vacation spot. Have fun!

Thank you so much!! That is great information and enough to get my DS excited about HHI!!

Do your boys use the same charter every trip? There are so many to chose from--it was overwhelming looking through the pages and pages of companies we found!! We are planning a late spring trip and possibly a few more nights in October if we end up loving it as much as I think we will!! Any spring/fall specific advice or have all your trips been during the summer?

View attachment 308397 View attachment 308398
We are from the midwest also. Another option is to charter a fishing trip. We have fished for catfish, northern, walleye etc but shark and redfish were new to us. The guide was excellent. All catch and release but my grandson caught a shark that was bigger than he was. All in all we caught 15-20 fish in 2 hours.

Which charter service do you use? and what time of year did you visit?

My boys are also curious about what type of fish is in the 2nd photo--its is huge!!

Thank you so much!! That is great information and enough to get my DS excited about HHI!!

Do your boys use the same charter every trip? There are so many to chose from--it was overwhelming looking through the pages and pages of companies we found!! We are planning a late spring trip and possibly a few more nights in October if we end up loving it as much as I think we will!! Any spring/fall specific advice or have all your trips been during the summer?
We usually go in the summer, but we have been in the fall, too. We usually go with Captain Miles at the Shelter Cove Marina. What is nice about that is it's within walking distance of the resort. In fact, my DH called today to talk to him about our trip this summer. And yes, you will love it!

Be careful using a fresh water rig. The salt water will ruin it if you don't rinse it off with fresh water.

We were there in July the water was very warm. We used "Outside Hilton Head" I believe it is in shelter cove. They have a Facebook page and a website. The big fish was a 40 lb redfish. You can also do kayaking, paddle boarding and sailing.
Dennis Connor won the America's Cup with his sailing boat "The Stars and Stripes" It is moored on Hilton Head and can be chartered for a sailing adventure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter