Fishing in the Canals at Fort Wilderness?

scanne

<font color=blue>OK, I must have really small ears
My dad loves to fish and the last time we went to WDW we took him on a fishing excursion on Bay Lake. He loved it, but it is a bit costly and he wants to know if you can fish anywhere else in WDW for a bit less money.

I was looking at my Birnbaum's book and it says that there is fishing in the canals at Fort Wilderness. Does anyone know what this costs? On Deb's site it says it's free, but do you have to rent a boat, rod and reel and buy some bait? Can you bring your own rod and reel from home? This is something my dad would love to do when the rest of us go to Blizzard Beach.

Any info would be so helpful! Thanks!!!!!!!

I'm going to move this to our Disney camping board. The experts there can tell you all about the canal fishing stuff :)

Yes, you can fish (catch and release only) in the canals for free. You can bring you own gear or rent gear from the bike barn. The canal behind the 1500-1800 loops where the pet walking area is a good place. There is a lot of room in the clear and the bugs are not to bad.

I believe (perhaps another FW lover can set this straight) that you can fish at the beach/marina area for free as well.)

- lori

We were there in December, last year. We had asked for a preferred loop and I knew from a FW map that loop 200 backed up to the canals so that is what I had asked for. My DH and DS wanted to fish and I thought it would be convenient to have the canal close to the campsite. We were very close to the canal, but I guess because of the drought FL was experiencing, the water level was low and the canals did not look that appealing! :eek: Very green! On Monday afternoon...the rains came....1/2 Tues....3/4 day Thurs....1/2 day Friday. :rolleyes: All the rain, "woke" the mosquitos and we got infested! :( I called the front desk and they were able to treat the water, but not the inside of our camper. We got eatten up pretty bad. :mad: The next time, I'm going to pass on the canals and tell them to fish at Bay Lake. You can fish there once you are well past the beach chairs. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter