• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fixing Castaway Cay port access for ships

What suggestions would you encourage?

• Total voters
But if you have a fastpass for a ride that is inoperable, they give you a multiple experience fastpass to make up for it.

And if the ship can't dock in a port due to weather, they add additional activities to the schedule to give people things to do on the ship. When a port is missed due to mechanical issues with the ship, there usually is some financial renumeration.

And if parks are closed due to anticipated hurricanes, they give guests the option to reschedule and waive the cancellation fees,

If a cruise is cancelled due to hurricane, cruisers are able to reschedule and the cancellation fees are waived.

and they offered free extra nights to guests who were stuck at the resort when their departure flights were cancelled due to Irma.

I hadn't heard of free nights at the resorts. We were there during Irma, and I know they attempted to accommodate guests who were stuck. In general, you would have to have trip insurance to cover the cost of the extra nights. If they did give free nights at a resort, then that is way over and above what anyone should expect and was likely a very isolated situation. And being stuck in a hurricane without a place to stay is a very different situation than a cruise not docking at a specific port.

Even airlines which have dreadful customer service are required to rebook you or reimburse you for any cancellations due to weather, even for "nonrefundable" tickets.

And again, if a cruise is cancelled, you are able to cancel without the cancellation fees. They also often offer a discount for a rebooked cruise within a certain time period. But one port cancelled off a cruise is an entirely different situation. Missed ports are a part of cruising. You can't expect a refund on your cruise for missing a port.

In my view, good customer service means going beyond the bare minimum you have to do under the contract, and Disney is usually known for its phenomenal customer service. That's why it is so weird to me to see that they would not offer anything to customers to make up for a major disappointment like this.

They do offer extra. When there is a missed port, they add character dance parties and additional games and activities. But missed ports are just a part of cruising and it is unreasonable to expect any sort of refund when it occurs due to bad weather conditions. When they have to miss a port due to mechanical issues, they do usually offer an onboard credit and sometimes a discount off a future cruise.

I get it's disappointing to miss a port stop, especially if it's one you had been eagerly anticipating. But anything that occurs outdoors is subject to weather. Even if the ship docks, it's not always a wonderful beach experience -- it might be drizzling rain, or windy enough to make umbrellas useless and cause cancellation of some excursions, or strong currents causing water activities are curtailed.

That's why it is so weird to me to see that they would not offer anything to customers to make up for a major disappointment like this.

If "monetary" compensation is the only goal. But DCL ups their game when canceling a port stop, especially CC. So many CMs have on-island duties at CC that onboard is a skeleton crew and limited activities planned that day. If the CC stop is canceled, all those CMs aren't suddenly given the day off, they are shifted to onboard entertainment activities that get added to the schedule, just like a day at-sea. Look at Navigators and compare a CC day with an at-sea day to see how much extra is offered. I think DCL offers quite a bit of "compensation" for a canceled port stop but it is in the form of enhanced onboard offerings and not a cash hand-out. WDW doesn't offer cash hand-outs for weather issues; WDW offers FP for a different ride. I don't think a canceled port stop is anywhere comparable to hurricane impact at WDW.

Another analogy: a rainy night at a sporting event such as a baseball game. It's just that, a rainy night in the ball park. Wear your raincoat and bring your umbrella. Nobody gets free hot dogs while waiting through a rain delay. Nobody gets to say "oh it's raining, I'd rather go another time when the weather is nice, please exchange my ticket." No compensation unless the game is completely canceled. It may be delayed 3 hours and you had to take your kids home to bed, but no exchange on the tickets.

I would imagine DCL's policy is the same as all other cruise lines when it comes to mother nature. Wind happens, which for the purposes of ship driving, is converted into an equivalent current. If the ship's engines/thrusters can't overcome that current, it's time for a day at sea!

Needless to say, there was "bad weather," and the captain couldn't dock the boat at Castaway Cay... nor did he even try.

Castaway_Cay.JPG

If this was the memorial day cruise departing May 25th, 2018, I was on this cruise. the captain tried for almost an hour, at least 4 times going around and trying again. I was up on Deck 11 sitting behind Cabanas watching him as I was up for the 5K. He could not hold the position, the wind was pushing him off. He also came on and said even if he could dock that conditions were deteriorating. It was a pretty big storm.

I was severely disappointed as well as I promised my daughter a beach trip as our other 2 cruises were the rerouted bahamas to canada hurricane matthew crusie and norway/iceland. I applaud Disney for turning around in under an hour with new activities for the at sea day. I will say that the Dream feels packed when no one can really go up on the outdoor decks due to bad weather (as well as the kids clubs!!!). I akin this poster to the ones I saw at guest services on the hurricane matthew crusie complaining every day. Disney cannot control the weather. It is truly how you react to changes in life that is the path to happiness. I still had a great trip with my Aunt and DD8. probably will not however sail on the Dream again if they continue the 3/4/5 night cruises.

That is nuts to me. If a contract gives one party to the right to collect your money and unilaterally cancel without giving you anything in return, that is an illusory contract--meaning that the contract seems to promise something but in actuality promises nothing under certain circumstances--and it is unenforceable. That does not apply to Disney because they are still giving you other things (e.g., room, dinner, entertainment) so they are not giving you nothing, but in the case of your concerts, that policy is pretty suspect.

The policy is clearly stated when you buy the tickets, so you choose to abide by that when you buy the ticket. It is not unknown.

The same applies to shows with no late seating. When you purchase the tickets, you check that you have read and agree to the terms. If you are late, you are out of the ticket cost and no show. The only way you could *possibly* get a refund or a post-dated ticket is IF a star whose name is above the title is absent in an unannounced absence. If it was a planned thing (vacation...or Sunday matinees once Bette Middler gets back in Hello Dolly where it is pre-announced she will be out), no dice.

And DCL is giving you other things - they scramble to come up with activities, more greetings if possible, possibly a movie in the big theater, etc. So the “they give you nothing” argument doesn’t stand up.

Until they can control the weather, currents, and winds, ship is going to happen and sometimes you’re not going to be able to dock. And it’s not as simple as you might think to switch things around port-wise on the spur of the moment. They do the best they can.

ANY line can miss ANY port at any time for ANY reason. Port taxes and fees will be refunded, but beyond that they do not owe you anything extra.

And yes, I did experience it on RCCL in Alaska. Because of an accident that shut down the road between Anchorage and Seward and prevented RCCL busses from getting there until around 3am, we had to miss Hubbard Glacier. No compensation.

I would imagine DCL's policy is the same as all other cruise lines when it comes to mother nature. Wind happens, which for the purposes of ship driving, is converted into an equivalent current. If the ship's engines/thrusters can't overcome that current, it's time for a day at sea!

Exactly. Missing ports - even private islands or beaches - is not exclusive to Disney. It can and has happened to all lines.

I heard from a fellow passenger that the Captain receives monetary compensation for successfully docking at CC. Thus, he has every incentive to make it (safely) happen. I am sure, as others have mentioned, this decision is not made lightly and every attempt is made to secure everyone's "promised" day at CC. Does anyone know if the rumor I heard about compensation is true?

I heard from a fellow passenger that the Captain receives monetary compensation for successfully docking at CC. Thus, he has every incentive to make it (safely) happen. I am sure, as others have mentioned, this decision is not made lightly and every attempt is made to secure everyone's "promised" day at CC. Does anyone know if the rumor I heard about compensation is true?
And who was this "fellow passenger"? Anyone who would rightly be in the know about such things?

Interesting, though you could conclude that might encourage unsafe seamanship. And, since that's information we haven't heard before, expect to be challenged by some of the rumor police here!

Yikes, this is a genuine question. By fellow passenger, I mean just that. I am not sure how else to specify someone on the ship with me that I don't know (we were just chatting as we watched our kids play as the Captain made multiple attempts to dock at CC, and luckily did!).

You will see I have very few posts as I mostly browse for the information I need and rarely post for fear of being attacked like so many others! I truly didn't realize this question would put me in the hot seat! I genuinely was interested to know if this was true and assumed this board had knowledgeable (albeit sometimes nasty) people that would know if this was true or not.

If Disney (or any cruise line, actually) started offering compensation for missed ports, all it would do is drive up cruise fares for everyone, and I don't imagine anyone wants that! Missed ports are just a part of cruising. Weather can greatly impact a cruise, and the safety of the passengers should always come first. In fact, it doesn't even have to be weather. We missed half of our day at CC once due to a medical emergency that caused us to have to reroute to Nassau. Sometimes ships will elect to miss a port due to what they feel are unsafe conditions on land. Case in point - NCL has cancelled all stops to the island of Hawaii until further notice. Stuff happens.

As others have mentioned, there are travel insurance policies that will compensate you for missed ports. If you look for policies that are cruise specific, they often have that option. It is usually what we purchase when we take a cruise.

OP, all that being said, I understand your disappointment in missing CC. Hopefully you will give DCL or some other line another try. Cruising can be addictive! :flower1:

The policy is clearly stated when you buy the tickets, so you choose to abide by that when you buy the ticket. It is not unknown.

The same applies to shows with no late seating. When you purchase the tickets, you check that you have read and agree to the terms. If you are late, you are out of the ticket cost and no show. The only way you could *possibly* get a refund or a post-dated ticket is IF a star whose name is above the title is absent in an unannounced absence. If it was a planned thing (vacation...or Sunday matinees once Bette Middler gets back in Hello Dolly where it is pre-announced she will be out), no dice.

And DCL is giving you other things - they scramble to come up with activities, more greetings if possible, possibly a movie in the big theater, etc. So the “they give you nothing” argument doesn’t stand up.

Until they can control the weather, currents, and winds, ship is going to happen and sometimes you’re not going to be able to dock. And it’s not as simple as you might think to switch things around port-wise on the spur of the moment. They do the best they can.

ANY line can miss ANY port at any time for ANY reason. Port taxes and fees will be refunded, but beyond that they do not owe you anything extra.

And yes, I did experience it on RCCL in Alaska. Because of an accident that shut down the road between Anchorage and Seward and prevented RCCL busses from getting there until around 3am, we had to miss Hubbard Glacier. No compensation.

I was talking about the concert. I specifically said that I did not think that issue applied to DCL.

Yikes, this is a genuine question. By fellow passenger, I mean just that. I am not sure how else to specify someone on the ship with me that I don't know (we were just chatting as we watched our kids play as the Captain made multiple attempts to dock at CC, and luckily did!).

You will see I have very few posts as I mostly browse for the information I need and rarely post for fear of being attacked like so many others! I truly didn't realize this question would put me in the hot seat! I genuinely was interested to know if this was true and assumed this board had knowledgeable (albeit sometimes nasty) people that would know if this was true or not.
Sorry if my post made you feel "on the hot seat". I was just interested in the source. You'll find lots of opinions about "how things work" and, unless it's documented that the person giving that opinion actually has some authority or documentation for making claims, they may often be incorrect.

Please don't be frightened off. We're all here just help.

Not really a good analogy. At McDonald's they know right then what ingredients they have. On a cruise (particularly one that you've booked months ahead) there's no way of knowing what the weather/sea conditions are that could cancel that port. Not to mention political situations that can pop up at any time.

I think, for those people who are really worried about port cancellations, they should look into port cancellation insurance. There's already a thread running about that: https://www.disboards.com/threads/cruise-insurance-missed-ports.3686300/

Do you happen to know if port cancellation is included with the DCL-purchased insurance?:hyper2:

This fellow passenger didn't happen to be a WDW bus driver, were they?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter