• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flaming toasters

Regina

<font color=teal>Maybe I’ll “accidentally” drop a
So there we were, having breakfast at the Comfort Inn in Atlanta having been bumped from our connecting flight home. (NOTE TO SELF: Start packing undies in carry-on from this day forward.) :scared:

There's a guy toasting an English muffin while on his cell phone. Flames start shooting out, yet he remains on the phone. He pushed something, the flaming muffin pops up and he starts batting it with his free hand. Meanwhile, I'm looking at the sprinkler head and thinking "buddy, we don't have a change of clothes since our luggage is in NY and we're in GA. If I get wet, you'll need medical assistance to have your phone removed."

And no, he never as much as interrupted his call. :sad2:

LOL.....i just don't get it. What is so important that folks absolutely can't get off the phone? My DH refuses to even carry a cell phone. I mean, really is there such an emergency that you can't get off the phone while checking out at the grocery store- it's rude to the clerk. I hate that. Really, unless there is an emergency, you can hang up the phone for a few minutes. This annoys me to no end.

So there we were, having breakfast at the Comfort Inn in Atlanta having been bumped from our connecting flight home. (NOTE TO SELF: Start packing undies in carry-on from this day forward.) :scared:

There's a guy toasting an English muffin while on his cell phone. Flames start shooting out, yet he remains on the phone. He pushed something, the flaming muffin pops up and he starts batting it with his free hand. Meanwhile, I'm looking at the sprinkler head and thinking "buddy, we don't have a change of clothes since our luggage is in NY and we're in GA. If I get wet, you'll need medical assistance to have your phone removed."

And no, he never as much as interrupted his call. :sad2:

Regina, for years I traveled about 70% of the year for business. I have had luggage redirected to places you wouldn't imagine, been in 5 airports in one day and dealt with dolts like this at the continental breakfasts.

The things I always carry in my briefcase:
Pair of underwear (sometimes 2 depending on the # of connecting flights)
Passport
Earplanes
Candy bar
Book

Thank god I don't travel that much for business anymore, as I have gotten older I have been wanting to give people dope slaps!

I've travelled a lot in my life (im only 21...but we were in the military) and the number 1 thing my mother used to pack in our bags...was underwear. Iremember when we went to england. Me my dad and my sister were going to meet my mum and my older sister who had already gone over because my grandad was dieing (died three days after we arrived). We had a 12 hour flight delay because of a blizzard that randomly came through the night. (Wasnt snowing until we got to boston...nor was it forcasted to) And then the 7 hour flight! Then 7 hours waiting for our baggage because that had to come on the next flight. Then wait another 2 hours to get home...needless to say we needed our underwear in our carry on because that was just gross.

What I always carry in my carry on:
2 extra t-shirts. (usually one of those is a tank top because they are thinner)
3 extra underwear
2 extra socks
travel sized deodarant
Toothbrush
4 ibuprofen/tylenol and 2 daily vitamins in a sealed bag
book or word search puzzle
Cell charger
Laptop (its a laptop back pack)
And a sweater.(airports get cold)

There are certain levels of stupidity that are so outstanding, they deserve to be acknowledged. The flaming toaster definitely was one of them. ;)

Delta gave us overnight kits with toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, razor/shave cream, a packet of detergent and a T-shirt. I did have my little quart sized zip-loc bag with more "stuff" so we weren't overly stinky. :thumbsup2

We lived in the Atlanta area from '92 - '94. While we didn't get to see anything, it was interesting to see how the airport has changed since then.

it's like the guy who decided to text message as he was starting to pull away from the stop sign and pulled out right in front of me and DBF (doing the speed limit of 45mph) lets just say that guy is luck he doesn't have to have his phone surgically removed!!!

we were about two inches from plowing into this genius!!??:mad:
people your life is more important than that phone watch the road!!

I have an image of this gent walking funny as is phone is now in a different place :lmao:

Oh I can relate to this thread ... and I have stopped packing the emergency stuff in case you get delayed. Fortunately, my recent flights have been direct, non-stop ones but still the luggage can decide to visit someplace else.

As Regina said ... note to self.

As for the flaming muffin and the cell phone conversation. I'm not awake enough at breakfast to have a coherent conversation ;) but flames from toaster would get my attention.

I agree...I'm not always 100% with it at breakfast time enough to have a meaningful conversation-especially one in the lobby/breakfast area that probably everyone that wanted to could hear. Ask my nanny when she calls me in the morning on her way to work! :rotfl2: Sometimes she gets a "hello" and sometimes not so much. If something was flaming or moving that shouldn't be (thinking bugs/insects/critters), I'd like to think I'd be awake enough to realize that and take care of it without a cell phone plastered to my ear.

Obviously HE was a VERY important person, on a VERY important call....

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Kinda makes ya wanna drop that cell phone in the toaster, huh?!

:rolleyes:

forget the undies Regina.. sounds like you needed to get out that bathingsuit you so love ;)

I first read this thread and was taken back to the day I set fire to a toaster oven (in the fire hall - yes I love irony too!) but there was no cell phone involved.

Now I see the title to the thread and I can only picture a "themed" meeting of Toastmasters...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter