flat panel tv

What size is it? 32"? 37"??

Either way, it's last years model.

It is the same make and model year as the ones in the Poly. I don't know if the size is the same though.

Nothing at all. It is explicitly a user-serviceable part.

You sure? I just checked my Samsung warrenty. It seems to imply ANY work done within the first year needs to be done by a qualified Samsung tech or it voids the warrenty (and the bulb is covered under that warrenty). That's in line with what the CS agent we spoke to back in January said, too. There isn't anything "additional" like a bulb "rider"...it's all covered under the complete manufacturer's warrenty., at least on our Samsung DLP.

Only if it was a bulb replacement warranty, and in that case it only would void the bulb replacement rider.

Again, I don't see the bulb replacement listed as a seperate warrenty...it's mentioned specifically in the complete 1 year manufactuer's warrenty. Maybe different manufacturers cover it differently. Either way, if a bulb failed "early", they'd need to hire a licensed tech. Sort of a hassle and one Disney could avoid.

That's a good point, and would apply to DLP. I'm not sure it applies to LCD projection.

Maybe not THOSE specific points/issues, but again, service in a resort setting, I'd assume, might be "harsher" than in consumer use. That increased "harshness" would probably balance out any decrease in use.

At 42" the break-even point is about six years. At 50" the break-even point is about eight years. At 60" the break-even point is about nine years. That's one of the most attractive aspects of projection HDTV: Projection television prices go up closer to linearly, while flat screen television prices go up closer to exponentially, as screen sizes get larger.

True. Disney is not putting in 50" inch sets, though, and probably wouldn't given the space constraints in most of their rooms. Notice I specifically mention "display size" in my point. Also, it's one reason why I said the tech probably wouldn't work in their resort settings, but is very good in a consumer setting (where larger screens are more the "norm").

The nice thing about LCDs, in commercial use, are that they are hang them and forget them. No added consumable use, no resources to "maintain" or service them. Hang and forget...and I think it's safe to assume those units will be in place longer than 6 years.

What size is it? 32"? 37"??

Either way, it's last years model.

It is the same make and model year as the ones in the Poly. I don't know if the size is the same though.

The LG in the AKV pics is either 37" or 42". It's hard, given the perspective, to tell exactly which one..but you can look at pics of the LG's from last year, on line, and tell it's one of those sizes.

You sure? I just checked my Samsung warrenty. It seems to imply ANY work done within the first year needs to be done by a qualified Samsung tech or it voids the warrenty (and the bulb is covered under that warrenty).
I'm absolutely positive. Changing the bulb is not technical service. Instructions for replacing the bulb are in Appendix A, complete with photos of each step of the process, so the customer can follow along as they're replacing the bulb.

Personally, I'd prefer LCD's - hang on wall, meaning more space in room potentially, no maintenance opposed to regular maintenance (by workers making increasingly higher salaries as time goes on), and DLP just doesn't look as good to me, especially from an angle.

I'm absolutely positive. Changing the bulb is not technical service. Instructions for replacing the bulb are in Appendix A, complete with photos of each step of the process, so the customer can follow along as they're replacing the bulb.

Just to be sure, I called Samsung CS to ask. Their response was that ANY work done to the set within the one year warranty period needed to be completed by a qualified technician...bulb replacement included. Now, maybe their reasons behind that are to ensure you're not taking advantage of the bulb piece of the warranty (and stockpiling bulbs for future use), but that's what he said.

That's 2 different members of their CS deparment, and the wording of the warranty itself, that seems to indicate otherwise. I know the info is in the appendix, but I'm wondering if they mean that to cover, strictly, bulb replacement after the warranty is expired.

In any event, given the info coming from the company, itself, I guess we'll just chalk it up to a lingering question.

Personally, I'd prefer LCD's - hang on wall, meaning more space in room potentially, no maintenance opposed to regular maintenance (by workers making increasingly higher salaries as time goes on), and DLP just doesn't look as good to me, especially from an angle.

There is the whole "some people see rainbows" thing for DLP's, too.

I've posted a message on AVS Forums to see if I can get a little clarity on this Samsung warranty issue. I probably won't post the results back in this thread (as we're really getting OT) so please send me a PM if you want me to send you the results of my inquiry.

Since i don't know what any of this techie stuff that is being thrown around I am outta this thread.

Just for the record I have a 48" Flat Screen HDTV that I bought.

The sales people spouted some of the stuff you guys are saying but I bought it because it looked cool. :rotfl2:

LOL...I think this is definately one of those conversations that don't work well, one post at a time.

I agree that they will have to replace them all to flat screens eventually. The sets over at SSR are just a couple years old, some less then a year. They won't be in the trash heap anytime soon. I know that the over the air stations will be all HD soon. But since Disney has its own resort system, I was just figuring they control its content. With that control, they could slow down its need to replace all the crt type sets with flat HD sets.

Absolutely, It costs A LOT of $$ to distribute High Def signal. It would be a major cost. Not to mention that there system is less than good to start with. I would imagine that the integrity of the infrastucture wouldn't even support HD without a major cleanup. I have worked in cable industry for 23 years. The HD upgrades weve done is not my dept, but I have to inspect installers work. And since HD the tolerances have become much more stringent.:happytv:

Just for the record I have a 48" Flat Screen HDTV that I bought.

The sales people spouted some of the stuff you guys are saying but I bought it because it looked cool. :rotfl2:
Our 32" model looks pretty cool too but the main reason we went to a flat screen TV is because of the size and weight. We had a 32-inch tube TV and it was huge and so heavy that I'm amazed DH and I didn't injure ourselves the few times we had to move it. When it died we decided no more big, hulking, heavy TVs. Our LCD TV is so light I can lift it by myself. And the family rooms looks so much nicer without that huge hulking thing in the corner of the room.

Prices of LCDs have come down substantially in the last couple of years. Given the size, weight and price factors, I can see why Disney decided to go with LCD TVs over other options. I especially like how it allowed them to go with a dresser rather than the standard large-TV armoire, making the room feel so much more open. And based on what you guys are saying about having to replace the bulbs in the DLP TVs, I'm glad they didn't choose that option.

Now that the AKV rooms have flat panel tv's, will it become standard in other dvc resorts?

More than likely. If for no other reason than the electrical savings. CRTs eat a lot more power than LCD.

Mike©

And cost a lot more to dispose of when they break or need to be replaced.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter