• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flex Pass Superthread: Disneyland Resort Introduces New Annual Passport that Combines Value and Flexibility

@pharmama , sorry you went through this. Thanks for reporting!

We also had trouble with a mid-year expiration on the first Flex APs issued to us. Took awhile, at the ticket booth, to correct the problem ... but it was only one of about three different problems encountered in the upgrade. The upgrade process must be a royal pain to create so many repeatable mistakes!

We have 5 day hoppers we were originally planning to purchase MP for all at once, save the receipt, and upgrade to APs on the last day (and credit the MP toward MP for the AP). But since the flex pass has so much availability, I'm thinking of upgrading to APs on our first day (after we've used the magic morning). I still want MP and would rather just buy MP from the app that morning. A few people have said they won't credit MP when you buy from the app because you need a receipt. But I noticed I received an email receipt for each day I bought MP in december through the app. Do you think I could show my emailed receipt and get the credit? I'm trying to reduce the amount of time and number of trips I have to spend at the ticket booth!

Hmmmm, or what if I enter the park for magic morning and upgrade to the AP from the app and buy MP for the AP immediately? Would that work, upgrading to flex pass if I'm already in the park and don't have a current reservation for the day?

We just moved from Texas to San Diego and bought the Flex Pass for our family of 4 on Tuesday night and made reservations for Friday and Saturday. They told us we wouldn’t be able to make a reservation for Sunday until 7am Saturday morning, but my husband was up at 5 and made the Sunday reservation then. I think the real test for us will be if it’s decently easy to get reservations in the fall when the crowds increase. If the reservations become difficult to get, we’ll have to upgrade to one of the pricier passes.

We have 5 day hoppers we were originally planning to purchase MP for all at once, save the receipt, and upgrade to APs on the last day (and credit the MP toward MP for the AP). But since the flex pass has so much availability, I'm thinking of upgrading to APs on our first day (after we've used the magic morning). I still want MP and would rather just buy MP from the app that morning. A few people have said they won't credit MP when you buy from the app because you need a receipt. But I noticed I received an email receipt for each day I bought MP in december through the app. Do you think I could show my emailed receipt and get the credit? I'm trying to reduce the amount of time and number of trips I have to spend at the ticket booth!
This is a YMMV situation and you’re basically at the discretion of the CM you get at the ticket booth. I asked for and was given credit for 3 days of MP when I upgraded to Sig but it’s not a given. And they didn’t credit it on my pass purchase but rather refunded me for the MP purchases.

Hmmmm, or what if I enter the park for magic morning and upgrade to the AP from the app and buy MP for the AP immediately? Would that work, upgrading to flex pass if I'm already in the park and don't have a current reservation for the day?

I think this will work for MP but you will need to immediately book yourself a reservation for that day...and I wonder if you’ll have to scan back into the park on the new AP to book a MP? I’m not sure...There is one report here of difficulties with immediate bookings on the app but hopefully was an isolated event. I booked DD14 a reservation (though not for that day) immediately after I upgraded her in the app but she was done in the parks for the day so we didn’t do any same day (or MP) stuff.

We just moved from Texas to San Diego and bought the Flex Pass for our family of 4 on Tuesday night and made reservations for Friday and Saturday. They told us we wouldn’t be able to make a reservation for Sunday until 7am Saturday morning, but my husband was up at 5 and made the Sunday reservation then. I think the real test for us will be if it’s decently easy to get reservations in the fall when the crowds increase. If the reservations become difficult to get, we’ll have to upgrade to one of the pricier passes.
It makes sense that he was able to make another Saturday morning. Technically, you would've been able to make the Sunday reservation as soon as you scanned into the park on Friday.

It makes sense that he was able to make another Saturday morning. Technically, you would've been able to make the Sunday reservation as soon as you scanned into the park on Friday.

We were unable to make a reservation for Sunday anytime on Friday after entering the park at noon on Friday.. I tried all day. We had Friday and Saturday booked, and were wanting to make one for Sunday. They told us that we wouldn’t be able to make a reservation for Sunday until 7am Saturday morning. My husband made one for Sunday at 5am Saturday morning.... not sure what time it actually would’ve allowed us because I tried at 12:01am on Saturday and it still wouldn’t allow me to make the reservation for Sunday.

We were unable to make a reservation for Sunday anytime on Friday after entering the park at noon on Friday.. I tried all day. We had Friday and Saturday booked, and were wanting to make one for Sunday. They told us that we wouldn’t be able to make a reservation for Sunday until 7am Saturday morning. My husband made one for Sunday at 5am Saturday morning.... not sure what time it actually would’ve allowed us because I tried at 12:01am on Saturday and it still wouldn’t allow me to make the reservation for Sunday.
The inability to book Sunday on Friday, after scanning into a Park, is surprising. I would have agreed with @Jperiod, above, on this point.

I wonder if there is something in the fine print I overlooked regarding reservations for consecutive days? I've twice booked a new "2nd reservation" within moments of scanning a park gate on the "1st reservation" but these reservations were for a return more than a week away. Hmmmmmmmmm ....... ?

EDITED TO ADD: So I went back to the Flex Pass page and reviewed the section "How Reservations Work." I guess the line quoted below is at play? Perhaps that 1st reservation day really does need to "pass" before one can book the new 2nd reservation if one already had two days inside the current 30 day window? If so, I should have been prevented from my two prior experiences of booking a new 2nd soon after passing the turnstiles on the 1st. Hmm. Perhaps a rule that had been inconsistently enforced now shored up with recent software updates?

Flex Pass How Reservations Work said:
  • If you have 2 reservations during a 30-day window, you’ll have the opportunity to make another once your first reservation date has passed or if you cancel an existing reservation.

Last edited:

No. A single reservation for [Both Parks] uses just ONE of your two reservation days.

That is very interesting. I can't think of a reason to book a single park reservation instead of a both park reservation. In our case, even if we are spending the day at Disneyland, we almost always get at least one fastpass for a California Adventure ride (usually Radiator Springs Racers, but sometimes Soaring). Or, we may head over to CA for lunch, then return to Disneyland.

I just read the terms and conditions for the flex pass, and it says "if the reservation is for both parks, you only need to enter one to avoid being a no show". So, to keep all options open, I'd say pass holders should always book Both Park reservations, if available.

That is very interesting. I can't think of a reason to book a single park reservation instead of a both park reservation. In our case, even if we are spending the day at Disneyland, we almost always get at least one fastpass for a California Adventure ride (usually Radiator Springs Racers, but sometimes Soaring). Or, we may head over to CA for lunch, then return to Disneyland.

Generally speaking I agree but I think by offering the option of a single park or both parks they're giving the flexibility to still book one park when one is full for reservations- such as DL is showing for the 4th this week. DCA is still available for the 4th but DL (and therefore both parks) is showing as not available/full for reservations.

Generally speaking I agree but I think by offering the option of a single park or both parks they're giving the flexibility to still book one park when one is full for reservations

Excellent point.

It's amazing the changes that have taken place in the two months since I booked my mid-summer trip. I would follow a totally different strategy, were I booking my trip now. It now appears that Flex passes are the way to go. Of course, that could change, if Disney again revamps their annual passes, or if all advance Flex dates start getting snapped up 30 days ahead of time.

The inability to book Sunday on Friday, after scanning into a Park, is surprising. I would have agreed with @Jperiod, above, on this point.

I wonder if there is something in the fine print I overlooked regarding reservations for consecutive days? I've twice booked a new "2nd reservation" within moments of scanning a park gate on the "1st reservation" but these reservations were for a return more than a week away. Hmmmmmmmmm ....... ?

EDITED TO ADD: So I went back to the Flex Pass page and reviewed the section "How Reservations Work." I guess the line quoted below is at play? Perhaps that 1st reservation day really does need to "pass" before one can book the new 2nd reservation if one already had two days inside the current 30 day window? If so, I should have been prevented from my two prior experiences of booking a new 2nd soon after passing the turnstiles on the 1st. Hmm. Perhaps a rule that had been inconsistently enforced now shored up with recent software updates?

I’m confused. Does this mean it’s best to make a reservation one day at a time? Is it like booking a one way airline ticket instead of round trip? Let’s say I want to go on a Thursday and Friday, would I reserve Thursday and then go back in and book Friday? I don’t have the pass so I don’t know what it looks like to reserve but do they mean don’t book both days at the same time if want to book another after first day?

I’m confused. Does this mean it’s best to make a reservation one day at a time? Is it like booking a one way airline ticket instead of round trip? Let’s say I want to go on a Thursday and Friday, would I reserve Thursday and then go back in and book Friday? I don’t have the pass so I don’t know what it looks like to reserve but do they mean don’t book both days at the same time if want to book another after first day?
Each day you plan to enter a park is booked separately. Thus, booking Thursday and Friday are two separate booking actions and fill (consume) both of the two reservation slots offered to the Flex AP passholder.

Each day you plan to enter a park is booked separately. Thus, booking Thursday and Friday are two separate booking actions and fill (consume) both of the two reservation slots offered to the Flex AP passholder.

Thanks. So would we have to wait until end of day Friday to book Saturday?

Thanks. So would we have to wait until end of day Friday to book Saturday?
You may hold two reservations concurrently. If you wanted both Friday and Saturday, and each were available, you could and should book both individually (that is, book all of your party for Friday; loop back to start and then book all of your party for Saturday). The issue seems to be Sunday, which according to posts #343 and #346, above, seemed to be off-limits until Saturday morning ... or "after Friday had passed."

You may hold two reservations concurrently. If you wanted both Friday and Saturday, and each were available, you could and should book both individually (that is, book all of your party for Friday; loop back to start and then book all of your party for Saturday). The issue seems to be Sunday, which according to posts #343 and #346, above, seemed to be off-limits until Saturday morning ... or "after Friday had passed."

I meant if we originally have Thursday and Friday reserved but we also want to go Saturday, would we have to wait until both Thursday and Friday have passed before we can book Saturday? Or could we book Saturday on Thursday night?

I meant if we originally have Thursday and Friday reserved but we also want to go Saturday, would we have to wait until both Thursday and Friday have passed before we can book Saturday? Or could we book Saturday on Thursday night?
Prior to my recent involvement since post #343, I would have said you could book Saturday soon after entering a park on Thursday ... but it seems a safer answer is: Book Saturday starting Friday morning.

I'd start trying on Thursday, soon after entering the park .. and keep retesting as you find time through the day. Worst case: You book it Friday morning.

Again, I'm still surprised by the report of #343 and will be testing it myself later this week. We have Thurs and Fri already reserved. I'll see how early I could reserve Saturday ... although we have no plans to actually attend the parks on Saturday and I'll have to cancel any resulting Saturday reservation.

Prior to my recent involvement since post #343, I would have said you could book Saturday soon after entering a park on Thursday ... but it seems a safer answer is: Book Saturday starting Friday morning.

I'd start trying on Thursday, soon after entering the park .. and keep retesting as you find time through the day. Worst case: You book it Friday morning.

Again, I'm still surprised by the report of #343 and will be testing it myself later this week. We have Thurs and Fri already reserved. I'll see how early I could reserve Saturday ... although we have no plans to actually attend the parks on Saturday and I'll have to cancel any resulting Saturday reservation.

Thank you! If you have time to report back how that goes, I’d appreciate it

All I know is we were unable to book Sunday until sometime early Saturday morning. As posted above, even at 12:01am on Saturday we were still unable to book Sunday. And I tried ALL DAY Friday after scanning into the park. A cast member told us 7am Saturday, but that wasn’t correct either because my husband booked Sunday Saturday morning at 5am. 🤷‍♀️ We are going back in July for another long weekend, so we’ll try it again and see what happens. Who knows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter