Flex Pass Superthread: Disneyland Resort Introduces New Annual Passport that Combines Value and Flexibility

I understand the basics of price bridging for tickets, but what is the reasoning behind waiting until your last day to upgrade? Wouldn't you miss out on using the AP discounts for your whole trip?
I think people might wait if it’s a busy time and they are worried about not getting the reservations they need. They might also have a magic morning that they want to use. 10% is nice, don’t get me wrong but it isn’t a huge discount.

They might also have a magic morning that they want to use.
Oh I forgot that magic mornings don't work on this AP. That makes sense.

I am already going next month and purchasing a 5 day PH. I'm also considering doing a 4 day trip next Halloween and it would make financial sense to bridge into a flex pass since both trips fall within a 12-month window. The issue is that my dates next year would absolutely be set so if for some reason I can't get reservations on those dates then I would be out the $$.

I understand the basics of price bridging for tickets, but what is the reasoning behind waiting until your last day to upgrade? Wouldn't you miss out on using the AP discounts for your whole trip?
I think because if it isn't a good to go day, I may not be able to get reservations for the rest of my trip. I wouldn't want to be locked out of getting to the parks. I also have a Disney Visa which gives me much of the same discounts as the Flex AP discounts (10% in select merchandise and dining).

Oh I forgot that magic mornings don't work on this AP. That makes sense.

I am already going next month and purchasing a 5 day PH. I'm also considering doing a 4 day trip next Halloween and it would make financial sense to bridge into a flex pass since both trips fall within a 12-month window. The issue is that my dates next year would absolutely be set so if for some reason I can't get reservations on those dates then I would be out the $$.
You could always upgrade to a pass that includes those dates if you actually can’t get the reservations when it comes time to make them. It’s a gamble.

I think because if it isn't a good to go day, I may not be able to get reservations for the rest of my trip. I wouldn't want to be locked out of getting to the parks. I also have a Disney Visa which gives me much of the same discounts as the Flex AP discounts (10% in select merchandise and dining).
Ah okay I hadn't thought of it that way! I just started looking into flex pass so this is all good info.

Magic morning is lost if you haven’t used it yet once you upgrade and to have your expiration date a few days later are two reasons I have thought of for any pass in addition to the the reasons mentioned that are Flex specific.

I think people might wait if it’s a busy time and they are worried about not getting the reservations they need. They might also have a magic morning that they want to use. 10% is nice, don’t get me wrong but it isn’t a huge discount.
Yes, this. We have five-day tickets that we plan to use for a Monday-Friday trip, and then upgrade as we leave the parks on Friday. I thought about upgrading earlier to get the discounts, but:

(1) We want a magic morning. No five-day passes, no magic morning;
(2) Friday is a reservation day. I'm taking zero chances that we get out there and then cant get a reservation; and
(3) The discount is not that impressive. If we spent $700 on food and say another $700 on merchandise (lightsaber! droid! beer flight!), that's only $140 in savings. It's just not worth losing magic morning AND the possibility of Friday altogether.

We are only doing one other trip during the year, another five-dayer. So it wouldn't be cost effective to upgrade to a higher level pass to recover Friday if we had to.

Magic morning is lost if you haven’t used it yet once you upgrade and to have your expiration date a few days later are two reasons I have thought of for any pass in addition to the the reasons mentioned that are Flex specific.

AFAIK your expiration date will not change regardless of when you upgrade. They always backdate the AP to the first day of entry on the ticket.

AFAIK your expiration date will not change regardless of when you upgrade. They always backdate the AP to the first day of entry on the ticket.
That actually makes sense. I guess for us it would be making sure MM is used and if we go to Flex making sure we don’t get blocked out during the rest of the trip.

We have flex passes and currently have reservations for Sat and Sunday October 5&6. I was under the impression that once we enter the park today, we should then be good to go on both parks for the day and be able to reserve Monday Oct 7. Last night at the ticket booth (there for something unrelated and double checked as this is our first time coming with a reservation) and the CM told me that I have to wait until Sunday morning to make my Monday reservation. Which is correct? I certainly don't want to somehow do something and be locked out of parks today.

We have flex passes and currently have reservations for Sat and Sunday October 5&6. I was under the impression that once we enter the park today, we should then be good to go on both parks for the day and be able to reserve Monday Oct 7. Last night at the ticket booth (there for something unrelated and double checked as this is our first time coming with a reservation) and the CM told me that I have to wait until Sunday morning to make my Monday reservation. Which is correct? I certainly don't want to somehow do something and be locked out of parks today.
I was under impression that that it was as you thought - booked Monday after Saturday entry. But, I read on Kenny's site that you can't make that Monday reservation until you enter on Sunday. I too am a little worried since I was looking for 3 days in a row. But, you will be able to get in DCA either way, since it's a green day.

Maybe the question should have been why does DL require a reservation on that random Monday in October, versus every other Monday in October which does not require a reservation for DL? I would have expected Monday 10/14 to perhaps require reservations since it is a holiday, but it is “good to go” for both parks.
That is exactly what I meant. What is special about October 7th as opposed to any other Monday in October?

Online reservations are finicky. Sometimes it lets you reserve another day as soon as you enter the park on your first day. Or it’ll let you reserve in the early hours of the next day (12-2am)

Go into the app or on the website. If it let’s you make a reservation, make a reservation. I’ve had no issues making a reservation for a third day as soon as I entered the park. I’ve done it twice.

I thought I read somewhere that there is a $20 discount on the Flex Pass but I don't see that specific pass listed on the DVC member benefits website. Has anyone successfully received the discount? Can you still do monthly payments if you take advantage of the discount?

The measly $20 discount is only available for the top 3 passes: Signature Plus, Signature, and Deluxe. You must purchase/renew at the ticket window to receive the discount. The monthly payments are still available after the discount/down payment (optional if renewing).

Agreed. $20 is a joke. Why even bother. It is almost an insult after you shelled out tens of thousands of dollars for a DVC contract.

I thought I read somewhere that there is a $20 discount on the Flex Pass but I don't see that specific pass listed on the DVC member benefits website. Has anyone successfully received the discount? Can you still do monthly payments if you take advantage of the discount?

I read the same report; it's a few pages back in this thread, I think.

It can't hurt to ask. It's possible the Flex pass is new and hasn't made it on the DVC Web site. Like a few things at the ticket booths, your mileage may vary.

Making "Reservations" has a side benefit: It puts an activity on your schedule that you are less likely to move.

I've held Flex Pass Reservations for this coming Friday since the 30-day window opened. Yesterday I received an invitation to help a friend on an errand that I would have normally accepted ... but this time? "Sorry, I already have plans on that date." Ah, a bright upside to booking Reservations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter