Flex Pass Superthread: Disneyland Resort Introduces New Annual Passport that Combines Value and Flexibility

Just to make sure I have this right. This next Friday/Saturday, March 6th or 7th, I’d like to upgrade my 5 day park hopper to a flex pass. If I do it on Saturday mid day (which is now blocked out) I can’t get back in correct? Has anyone seen Sunday’s recently blocked out? Also, how late is the ticket booth outside the park open until? Thank you!

If they're really strict, you will not be allowed into Disneyland but can make a same day reservation for DCA. When I purchased my flex pass earlier this year, Disneyland had no more reservations but the CM went to the back and got me a "both parks" reservation. It's not guaranteed but when you purchase or upgrade to an annual pass, the CM will usually give you a reservation or a block out day pass for the day.

Just to make sure I have this right. This next Friday/Saturday, March 6th or 7th, I’d like to upgrade my 5 day park hopper to a flex pass. If I do it on Saturday mid day (which is now blocked out) I can’t get back in correct? Has anyone seen Sunday’s recently blocked out? Also, how late is the ticket booth outside the park open until? Thank you!

We just recently upgraded ours in January and we were not able to upgrade and get back into the park. Also, they told us they closed the booths at the same time that Disneyland closed. We had to come out an hour before closing to make sure we got it done before the parks closed.

If my old pass expires 3/7 and I renew it, can I enter the parks on my old pass on 3/7? Or will the renewal take effect 3/7? If I go from Sig to Flex, the there are no reservations for the Flex pass on 3/7.

If my old pass expires 3/7 and I renew it, can I enter the parks on my old pass on 3/7? Or will the renewal take effect 3/7? If I go from Sig to Flex, the there are no reservations for the Flex pass on 3/7.
Your old AP is valid until the last park closes on 3/7.

Your new Flex AP becomes valid and active on 3/8.

Is anybody tracking how many days have been blocked out for the Flex Pass in Disneyland? The next 4 Saturdays are unavailable for Disneyland, but still good to go for DCA.
Has DCA ever been block out? With the Food & Wine Festival 2020 I thought we might see a blockout for DCA.
I know Saturdays are known to be a busy day, but even the Deluxe Pass is block out the last three weekends in March.
I am an "Out of State" Flex Pass AP. Is the Flex Pass for "locals" or "out of State APs"? Maybe it is just for us Disers that are planners.

Last edited:
It is dynamic. Let me give an example. I was thinking if I should go on 01/18/2020-01/20/2020 (the long weekend after ROTR opening). I went back and forth if I should drive there (6 hours' drive), and the availability of those days were different each time I checked. I guess it is like fastpass at WDW, if you try hard enough, you might be able to grab a last-minute slot.

Is anybody tracking how many days have been blocked out for the Flex Pass in Disneyland? The next 4 Saturdays are unavailable for Disneyland, but still good to go for DCA.

Has DCA ever been block out? With the Food & Wine Festival 2020 I thought we might see a blockout for DCA.
I know Saturdays are known to be a busy day, but even the Deluxe Pass is block out the last three weekends in March.
I am an "Out of State" Flex Pass AP. Is the Flex Pass for "locals" or "out of State APs"? Maybe it is just for us Disers that are planners.
There have been some dates where CA Adventure was fully booked. One I remember was the Sunday following New Year's Day. It was the 2nd to last day of the Festival Of Holidays. There were also at least a couple of Sundays during Halloween Time that filled up. Probably because of people who had tickets for Oogie's Bash that wanted to be in the park the whole day. But for the most part, it hasn't been difficult getting into CA Adventure. There was one weekend day where I couldn't get into DL, so I just spent a few hours at CA Adventure.

We just recently upgraded ours in January and we were not able to upgrade and get back into the park. Also, they told us they closed the booths at the same time that Disneyland closed. We had to come out an hour before closing to make sure we got it done before the parks closed.
There is almost always one booth open until an hour after the latest park closing. This has always been the case, barring some unusual circumstance. I don't know why the CM told you that -- and you've been told other wrong information lately, like the CM who told you that you couldn't get a BG inside DCA after already having scanned into DL -- so you seem to be having a run of weird luck with CMs lately. As the saying goes, "Ask 10 CMs, get 10 different answers!" So, when in doubt, look for a lead or a supervisor. And double check the answer here!

We're looking at becoming out of country flex pass AP. And since I am a teacher we would only be coming on holidays and weekends... which of course makes us nervous.

But we are planners, and right now I think - I hope - that is the deciding characteristic of this pass.

We have had the Flex pass since October (upgraded tickets after our Halloween time trip as days were getting booked up then), and we live in Texas. It has worked out well for us so far (we came again in January on opening weekend for ROTR and were able to get reservations), but it is always a gamble because we pretty much have to make flights before we know if we have our days reserved for sure (we always come on the weekends, and often long or holiday weekends).

We are now having a little pickle, as we plan to be there a few days during Spring Break (mid March) and again Easter weekend. Since those are less than 30 days apart, we can’t make Easter weekend until we finish at least one day of Spring Break. It will be around 25 days out from Easter weekend, and I don’t think that Saturday will last (at least at both parks) for 5 days. The Saturdays in March booked up pretty much the first day, for DL.

So if you don’t plan on doing trips within 30 days of each other than both need reservations, it is a lot better on your stress level!!

Correct you won’t be able to get back in if you can’t get a same-day reservation (unless the CM gives you a block out pass, which is pixie dust and not typical). I think they stay open one hour after park closing, but I’m not 100% sure on that.

I actually think it's becoming more typical. I've been reading a LOT of reports from people (mostly on FB) getting courtesy passes, and I got a courtesy pass when I went over Christmas, which was *completely* blocked (no reservations allowed). I think that they're starting to fall in line with the way other pass upgrades are handled.

Ok, so I tried searching this and cannot find anything, so here it goes:

We will have 2 day, one park per day tickets without maxpass. We plan to purchsed MP both days we are in the parks.
If we upgrade to a Flex AP on our last day, will they apply the price of the ticket and the MP we paid for the 2 days towards the price of the Flex AP as a down payment? Or just the price of the ticket?

I have read that the day you upgrade, you need to make a reservation and that Disney will not always give you a reservation. We plan on inquiring at the ticket booths after *hopefully* getting a BG at DL in the morning of our last day. If they will not give us a reservation, then we would probably wait until later in the day. How likely do you think DL reservations will be full on Monday, June 8th?

Apologies if I missed this question being asked a ton. I did not think we would do this at all and DH just mentioned the possibility of this happening. TIA! :goodvibes

Ok, so I tried searching this and cannot find anything, so here it goes:

We will have 2 day, one park per day tickets without maxpass. We plan to purchsed MP both days we are in the parks.
If we upgrade to a Flex AP on our last day, will they apply the price of the ticket and the MP we paid for the 2 days towards the price of the Flex AP as a down payment? Or just the price of the ticket?

I have read that the day you upgrade, you need to make a reservation and that Disney will not always give you a reservation. We plan on inquiring at the ticket booths after *hopefully* getting a BG at DL in the morning of our last day. If they will not give us a reservation, then we would probably wait until later in the day. How likely do you think DL reservations will be full on Monday, June 8th?

Apologies if I missed this question being asked a ton. I did not think we would do this at all and DH just mentioned the possibility of this happening. TIA! :goodvibes
Crystal, Some people have had the value of MP (which was added daily to the ticket, rather than being bought at the time of ticket purchase) applied to their AP upgrade, but I think they had to buy MP for the AP (are you planning on adding MP to your AP?). But, some people have not been given that value. I think it depends on the CM. Everyone who did get the value of it had to do the upgrade at the ticket booth, as the app will not apply the max pass cost purchased day by day to the upgrade price.

I think Mondays have almost never been fully reserved that I can recall, so I think you will be safe in June. You can watch it in the app in the weeks leading up to the trip to see if it ever seems booked. If it is booked, you can either wait until the end of the day to upgrade or ask about a block out ticket. I will say that the process at the booth takes a long time (for reasons that were unclear to me even as I stood there and watched her do it for 45 minutes!!). And the lines can be long any time of day, so I would not want to wait in that line to see if a block out pass is available, be told no, and then have to wait in the line all over again at the end of the day to upgrade. So my advice would be to watch the reservations calendar carefully that day, and if it looks open, then venture to the booth in the morning (one OP did say that reservations were available on her upgrade day, but there was a glitch and it wouldn't let her book so the CM gave her a block out pass; just be prepared for that possibility also). If reservations are already booked that day, you might want to wait until end of day to upgrade to save the possibility of 2 trips to GS in one day.

One other thought, if you haven't already bought your tickets, can you buy them with MP already added? That way the full value will be applied for sure?

It is good to think through all of this ahead of time!! Have fun!!!

Crystal, Some people have had the value of MP (which was added daily to the ticket, rather than being bought at the time of ticket purchase) applied to their AP upgrade, but I think they had to buy MP for the AP (are you planning on adding MP to your AP?). But, some people have not been given that value. I think it depends on the CM. Everyone who did get the value of it had to do the upgrade at the ticket booth, as the app will not apply the max pass cost purchased day by day to the upgrade price.

I think Mondays have almost never been fully reserved that I can recall, so I think you will be safe in June. You can watch it in the app in the weeks leading up to the trip to see if it ever seems booked. If it is booked, you can either wait until the end of the day to upgrade or ask about a block out ticket. I will say that the process at the booth takes a long time (for reasons that were unclear to me even as I stood there and watched her do it for 45 minutes!!). And the lines can be long any time of day, so I would not want to wait in that line to see if a block out pass is available, be told no, and then have to wait in the line all over again at the end of the day to upgrade. So my advice would be to watch the reservations calendar carefully that day, and if it looks open, then venture to the booth in the morning (one OP did say that reservations were available on her upgrade day, but there was a glitch and it wouldn't let her book so the CM gave her a block out pass; just be prepared for that possibility also). If reservations are already booked that day, you might want to wait until end of day to upgrade to save the possibility of 2 trips to GS in one day.

One other thought, if you haven't already bought your tickets, can you buy them with MP already added? That way the full value will be applied for sure?

It is good to think through all of this ahead of time!! Have fun!!!
Hi Michelle! Thanks for the reply! Yes, we plan on adding MP to the Flex AP. Unfortunately, we already bought the tickets through UT at the old rate. At the time, we did not think we were going to get MP because of the increase in price. I don't think my DH and I were on the same page about all that. Although I love MP, I feel that $20 is too much...but DH thinks it is still worth it.

Thanks for the heads up about the process taking a long time. I wonder why!?! We have done this before years ago when we upgraded to APs and it didn't take long at all! Interesting for sure. I don't want to have to stand in line multiple times for this....something to think about!

Good to know about Mondays as well. If it was later in June I would be more concerned about Mondays being fully reserved. I think most schools are still in session when we are going. For some reason, my kids get out really early now!

Now we have a couple months to sort all this out and decide what we want to do! So appreciate your tips and advice as always. Thank you!

So I have my Deluxe AP that I renewed in Jan...can I switch to Flex Pass now or do I have to wait for my renewal??? I'm going in April and I hate that Saturdays are blocked which is the day I arrive. I was thinking of switching passes but not sure if its worth it. I could just go to Knotts Berry Farms on Saturday and just do DL on Sun-Tue with my pass...just thinking out aloud about my choices...LOL!!!

So I have my Deluxe AP that I renewed in Jan...can I switch to Flex Pass now or do I have to wait for my renewal??? I'm going in April and I hate that Saturdays are blocked which is the day I arrive. I was thinking of switching passes but not sure if its worth it. I could just go to Knotts Berry Farms on Saturday and just do DL on Sun-Tue with my pass...just thinking out aloud about my choices...LOL!!!
I believe you can upgrade or downgrade at any time, but your pass expiration will remain the same. Saturdays in March booked up fast for Flex, so if you do this I’d book the Saturday you want right at 30 days when the window opens.

Last edited:
I believe you can upgrade or downgrade at anytime, but your pass expiration will remain the same. Saturdays in March booked up fast for Flex, so if you do this I’d book the Saturday you want right at 30 days when the window opens.

Ahhh...good to know...what's the best way to switch AP's: in person, over the phone or the via the app??

Just checked and "both parks" reservations have opened up for Saturday 3/21 and 3/28. Go, go, go!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter