Flexible side gigs?

Princesca

<3 Pink sugar heart attack! <3
We are making ends meet on just my salary, but if I could just bring in another $500-$1000 a month, I think we would be golden. I know it's probably a long shot but does anyone know any good ways to bring in extra income working from home? We have already budgeted and cut back everywhere we can cut back without significantly affecting our lives, and already try to sell things we don't need on online marketplaces. Something without set hours, like data entry, is probably the most viable option for us. Thank you!!

I did online transcription work with rev.com for a little while and really enjoyed it. I was able to pick the jobs I wanted to work on and only did it when I had some time and/or wanted a little extra cash. Side bonus was learning new stuff from the things I was transcribing. Something like that might work for you?
Can you tell me a little more about this? What kind of jobs did you get? Content? Like lots of colloquy (back and forth conversation), or more one person speaking? How long were they usually? I read the FAQ, other than a laptop/desktop computer, did you need any other special equipment? What exactly do you submit for the transcription example? And if you don’t mind me asking, how much would you make on a weekly basis versus how much worked? And why did you stop?
I was a freelance court reporter for 20 years, went from full time to part time over the years because of having kids, and then quit completely in 2020 because, obviously. Lol
Just haven’t been back for various reasons. Was thinking of getting just a part-time job somewhere close to me, but this might work? I had done a bit of audio transcription in my earlier years to know it could be a pain in the &#$ if you didn’t know who was speaking! Am curious if it is worth my sanity.
Thanks!

Interested to see what folks suggest. $500-$1,000 a month on a side gig is a lot of money.

I did online transcription work with rev.com for a little while and really enjoyed it. I was able to pick the jobs I wanted to work on and only did it when I had some time and/or wanted a little extra cash. Side bonus was learning new stuff from the things I was transcribing. Something like that might work for you?
Thanks for the tip, I submitted an application!

For anyone out there who is thinking about doing this, be aware that the turnaround time on your initial application is 4-12 weeks.

What exactly do you submit for the transcription example?

Its just three short prompts for paragraph writing. The topics were why are you interested in this job, where did you go on vacation recently, and what is a favorite hobby. I think the minimum writing per topic was 250 characters.

Can you tell me a little more about this? What kind of jobs did you get? Content? Like lots of colloquy (back and forth conversation), or more one person speaking? How long were they usually? I read the FAQ, other than a laptop/desktop computer, did you need any other special equipment? What exactly do you submit for the transcription example? And if you don’t mind me asking, how much would you make on a weekly basis versus how much worked? And why did you stop?
I was a freelance court reporter for 20 years, went from full time to part time over the years because of having kids, and then quit completely in 2020 because, obviously. Lol
Just haven’t been back for various reasons. Was thinking of getting just a part-time job somewhere close to me, but this might work? I had done a bit of audio transcription in my earlier years to know it could be a pain in the &#$ if you didn’t know who was speaking! Am curious if it is worth my sanity.
Thanks!

Have you considered going back to court reporting and doing audio transcription only (if possible)? I had some recordings transcribed by a local court reporting agency and it cost me (well, a client) about $1350 for 135 pages of transcripts. I would hope that half of that went to the court reporter, but I have no idea what the cut is for the company vs court reporter.

Are you a good salesperson? Years ago, I worked with Usborne Books. I don't really have the personality for home parties, but I loved setting up booths at craft fairs and stuff like that, so I concentrated on that side.

I used the job mostly to get free books for my (then young) DS, and kind of test the waters on going back to work, but the people I knew who did parties made decent money.

If you have enough familiarity with the rules (and/or are willing to study up), referreeing youth sports is very flexible and can be very lucrative.
I find exactly the opposite. It's flexible in days but not times. It's all either 5-8 pm or weekends. Sometimes less depending on what you're officiating. For me doing hockey, it's pretty much just weekends and whatever you get assigned.

My wife tried doing the audio transcription. Her test was to listen and transcribe a keynote speech, then they explained what they would pay for that.

I find exactly the opposite. It's flexible in days but not times. It's all either 5-8 pm or weekends. Sometimes less depending on what you're officiating. For me doing hockey, it's pretty much just weekends and whatever you get assigned.

My wife tried doing the audio transcription. Her test was to listen and transcribe a keynote speech, then they explained what they would pay for that.
True, it's nearly all evenings and weekends. I meant more that you can pick which games/tournaments you want, so you can make it work around your schedule (at least that's the case here with youth soccer, which my son and husband referee).

I know you mentioned working from home but have you considered doing part time work as a receptionist somewhere? For example at the local massage chain I go to, the receptionist told me she has a full time job and then part time in the evenings she works at the front desk. It's close to closing so she's mostly dealing with processing the last few appointments of the day, scheduling peoples' next appointments, things like that.

I know you mentioned working from home but have you considered doing part time work as a receptionist somewhere? For example at the local massage chain I go to, the receptionist told me she has a full time job and then part time in the evenings she works at the front desk. It's close to closing so she's mostly dealing with processing the last few appointments of the day, scheduling peoples' next appointments, things like that.
I have a toddler at home so I'm really looking for something I could do from like 8-11 or so when he's gone to bed.

I didn't think that kind of job even existed anymore with all that voice to text software out there. I guess they still need a proof reader since some of what the software "hears" isn't what was said.

eBay. I consistently make $500-$1,000/month reselling things I buy mostly at estate sales but also yard sales, occasionally thrift shops, and stuff I get for free. It’s super flexible.

Just yesterday I went to a garage sale in my development, paid $10 for a piece of Fenton glass, and sold it on eBay last night for $125. Most sales aren’t that fast or dramatic but I do routinely sell things for 5-10 times what I paid. Year to date I’m averaging about 4.6 times cost.

There are many places to find free items so you don’t even need any upfront money to get started.

eBay. I consistently make $500-$1,000/month reselling things I buy mostly at estate sales but also yard sales, occasionally thrift shops, and stuff I get for free. It’s super flexible.

Just yesterday I went to a garage sale in my development, paid $10 for a piece of Fenton glass, and sold it on eBay last night for $125. Most sales aren’t that fast or dramatic but I do routinely sell things for 5-10 times what I paid. Year to date I’m averaging about 4.6 times cost.

There are many places to find free items so you don’t even need any upfront money to get started.

This is a cool idea! I am a lover of vintage stuff and love thrifting so this really appeals to me. Do you have any good resources for how to identify what sells the best? Or should I buy what speaks to me?

Who do you use for shipping? I feel like shipping costs take away any profit and I'm afraid of things arriving broken. I have vintage Disney posters that I would like to sell but I can't figure out how to ship them (they have a flat cardboard backing, not rolled).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter