Flight and Carry on Advice Needed :)

apxstitch

Mouseketeer
I'm flying on Westjet and am only taking a carry on case. I was hoping to pack my Loungefly backpack into the carry on and take a smaller crossbody bag as my personal item. Will I have any issues doing this with security? My mind says no because I will just be using my backpack as another "packing cube" inside my carry on but I don't want to cause any issues. Is Westjet very firm about no backpacks as the personal item along with a carry on case? I was hoping to take my carry on case and my Loungefly backpack instead of the crossbody bag.

Are the Deep Relief Warming patches allowed through the TSA check? Or is it considered a liquid?

I'm so excited to be going on my 2nd solo trip!

It should be fine. I always have a bag inside my carry on. Once onboard I will take the bag out with things I need during the flight and put the carryon bag inside the overhead bin. Instead of a cross body bag, I have my waist pouch on me the whole time. But I usually fly with Air Canada.

I’ve never flown West Jet, but you shouldn’t hav a problem putting back pack inside your carry on.

I flew Westjet in November with a carry on roller case and a backpack style purse. I had fit 2 packing cubes in the backpack plus a crossbody that held travel docs and a bag of liquids. I was travelling with my husband and he used one of my very large totes (more packing cubes lol) as a personal item.
This was our third fight that year travelling the same way. No one cared.

you're confusing security with airline carry on restrictions, airport security/TSA don't give a hoot how many items you have, we went thru with, 2 roller suitcases, a large laptop briefcase, my full sized backpack, a bag full of medications, my smaller park backpack, our jackets - we easily filled 7 or 8 bins and they didn't bat an eye. We got to the other side of security and rearranged everything to meet WestJet's requirements with the knowledge that they repeatedly beg for people to gate check bags but fully prepared for that to not happen. When it was time to board we tied our jackets around our waists, I hung my neck pillow to the outside of my backpack and stuck my earphones around my neck, stuffed my smaller backpack into the full sized one and just walked onto the plane, no questions asked. Got into my seat, used my jacket for a lumbar support, pulled my smaller backpack out (it had everything I needed for the flight in it)kicked the larger one under the seat, put the smaller one on top and gave it a kick under. Everything fit perfectly and when we got to Orlando I just reversed the process so I exited the plane with just the 2 allowed bags.

WestJet 100% allows a full sized backpack, so long as it fits under the seat they don't care what type of bag it is. I would actually recommend separating your bags to go thru security so it's easier for the agents to see everything.
have a great trip!

you're confusing security with airline carry on restrictions, airport security/TSA don't give a hoot how many items you have, we went thru with, 2 roller suitcases, a large laptop briefcase, my full sized backpack, a bag full of medications, my smaller park backpack, our jackets - we easily filled 7 or 8 bins and they didn't bat an eye. We got to the other side of security and rearranged everything to meet WestJet's requirements with the knowledge that they repeatedly beg for people to gate check bags but fully prepared for that to not happen. When it was time to board we tied our jackets around our waists, I hung my neck pillow to the outside of my backpack and stuck my earphones around my neck, stuffed my smaller backpack into the full sized one and just walked onto the plane, no questions asked. Got into my seat, used my jacket for a lumbar support, pulled my smaller backpack out (it had everything I needed for the flight in it)kicked the larger one under the seat, put the smaller one on top and gave it a kick under. Everything fit perfectly and when we got to Orlando I just reversed the process so I exited the plane with just the 2 allowed bags.

WestJet 100% allows a full sized backpack, so long as it fits under the seat they don't care what type of bag it is. I would actually recommend separating your bags to go thru security so it's easier for the agents to see everything.
have a great trip!
Thanks for this, it's my first time travelling with only the carry on case, I've always checked bags before. No one will question me if I take my Loungefly backpack as my personal item? It's the bag I really want to have in the parks. I will then leave the crossbody bag at home.

I usually travel with only carryon, one suitcase each for my son and I, a backpack for him and an underseat case for me. He manages a suitcase and I can handle the rest :) We use a lot of those plastic bins at security lol.

Are the Deep Relief Warming patches allowed through the TSA check? Or is it considered a liquid?
I've taken Salonpas without any problem so possibly the same. I also have the tiny jar of Tiger Balm ointment as a back up for sore muscles.

I've flown to WDW carry on only the past few years and 4 additional things to keep in mind:
  • everyone and their granny is doing the same thing to beat checked luggage fees so overhead bin storage is limited. If you haven't already paid for your seat, and if you select your seat 24 hrs before flight like I do, consider picking a seat toward the back of the plane so you can be in the earlier wave to board to increase your chances of having bin space for your wheeled suitcase. No one wants to be beside the toilets, but toward the back of the cabin gives you a head start boarding and having enough space to stow that carry on;
  • check the allowed dimensions esp of your wheeled carry on on your airline's site. I max out the dimensions with my case but also tend to overstuff it so it's one chubby bag. I try to purge a few things out of it before leaving for the airport, but I also know I'm pushing the limit. While I'm probably not fooling anyone, I use the cinch straps on the bag to slim it as much as I can or use a big luggage strap to compress it. I also try not to camp out within easy sightline of the check in desk at my gate. No point in drawing attention to the bag before you board;
  • although it's becoming a bit of a social joke online, consider hovering a respectful distance back from the boarding line rather than sitting down until your group is called. I try to position myself just off to the side of the boarding sign so I can get into the first part of my boarding group. I never cut the line or butt in, but am close enough to get in with the first travelers in my group. This again improves my chance of having enough overhead bin size for my rolling carry on; and
  • snap a luggage lock onto a zipper and make sure to have the key packed in your personal item. Boarding crew will eye up carry ons and pull some rolling luggage to the side as passengers board and require it to be put in the hold last minute. Better to be prepared with a luggage lock than not. I don't actually lock my carry on esp before security but I do have a lock that's easy to find if my carry on is snagged.
Just a few extra strategies to keep in mind when flying carry on only. Enjoy your vacation. Safe travels.

I've taken Salonpas without any problem so possibly the same. I also have the tiny jar of Tiger Balm ointment as a back up for sore muscles.

I've flown to WDW carry on only the past few years and 4 additional things to keep in mind:
  • everyone and their granny is doing the same thing to beat checked luggage fees so overhead bin storage is limited. If you haven't already paid for your seat, and if you select your seat 24 hrs before flight like I do, consider picking a seat toward the back of the plane so you can be in the earlier wave to board to increase your chances of having bin space for your wheeled suitcase. No one wants to be beside the toilets, but toward the back of the cabin gives you a head start boarding and having enough space to stow that carry on;
  • check the allowed dimensions esp of your wheeled carry on on your airline's site. I max out the dimensions with my case but also tend to overstuff it so it's one chubby bag. I try to purge a few things out of it before leaving for the airport, but I also know I'm pushing the limit. While I'm probably not fooling anyone, I use the cinch straps on the bag to slim it as much as I can or use a big luggage strap to compress it. I also try not to camp out within easy sightline of the check in desk at my gate. No point in drawing attention to the bag before you board;
  • although it's becoming a bit of a social joke online, consider hovering a respectful distance back from the boarding line rather than sitting down until your group is called. I try to position myself just off to the side of the boarding sign so I can get into the first part of my boarding group. I never cut the line or butt in, but am close enough to get in with the first travelers in my group. This again improves my chance of having enough overhead bin size for my rolling carry on; and
  • snap a luggage lock onto a zipper and make sure to have the key packed in your personal item. Boarding crew will eye up carry ons and pull some rolling luggage to the side as passengers board and require it to be put in the hold last minute. Better to be prepared with a luggage lock than not. I don't actually lock my carry on esp before security but I do have a lock that's easy to find if my carry on is snagged.
Just a few extra strategies to keep in mind when flying carry on only. Enjoy your vacation. Safe travels.
Thanks for the awesome tips! I am seated towards the back of the plane so that is good news. I will get a lock today just in case it's taken away. I'm so excited now!

And a roller carry on case? I will have both with me.

While I wish WestJet and other airlines would enforce carryon restrictions more consistently, since I see lots of people on every flight home from MCO with a roller bag, a bulging knapsack, a purse or laptop bag, a lightsaber AND multiple shopping bags full of their Disney swag...the actual rule is that you can carry on a roller bag that goes in the overhead plus a personal item (which can be a knapsack) that fits under the seat.

Info and sizes are here:
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel-info/baggage/carry-on

And a roller carry on case? I will have both with me.

Yes. The rule is one carry on and one personal item - as long as the roller fits the size allowance and goes up top and you actually put the backpack under the seat in front of you you’ll be fine. My dad travels hundreds of hours a year on business and also takes a roller and a full size backpack on every flight and is fine.

I never really thought about all my little tricks re carry-ons before but you just listed most of them. I have flown on WestJet, Air Canada and Delta in the last few years using a full sized backpack (not overly stuffed) and a carry-on suticase without issue. Once, in Toronto, the gate agent told me I had to stash my small purse as I was only allowed 2 items. No problem , just threw it in my backpack then took it out again once on the plane.

I always laugh when the gate agents make the announcement about 2 items only and then some non-English speaking group of people walk right past them with 4 or 5 grocery type bags of purchases. The agents try to stop them but then just give up and let them go.

You're allowed one carry on and one personal item. Typically, things like a reasonably sized purse or camera bag are deemed as "personal items". They don't care what's in the bag (other than liquids and prohibited items obviously). But, no, if you were planning to walk onto the plane with a carry on bag plus a backpack, they would definitely consider that as two carry on bags, not a carry on and a personal item unless the backpack is inside the carry on.

I always laugh when the gate agents make the announcement about 2 items only and then some non-English speaking group of people walk right past them with 4 or 5 grocery type bags of purchases. The agents try to stop them but then just give up and let them go.

I use a backpack as my carry on and a cross body purse as a personal item. DH uses a backpack as a carry on and a cross body bag as a personal item or his camera bag instead. On our return flight earlier this week, AC was tagging carry on luggage and we were told if there was no tag, you couldn't take it on board as carry on and they were reviewing everyone's bags for size and number. And they were enforcing it; some people tried arguing that they'd done this before but the check in and gate agents weren't having it. I saw a few people doing the content shift game at check in. There were also announcements for our flight and others that the flight was full, not enough room for all carry on bags and anyone in Zones 4-6 would have their carry on bags reviewed and anything deemed too big would have to be gate checked if they didn't get enough volunteers even if they'd been previously deemed OK and/or tagged.

We've seen it swing back and forth over the years from turning a blind eye to people bringing on multiple bags I'd classify as luggage to being very strict to the point of making you place your bag into a sizer and weighing it. Problem is, you never know when the pendulum will swing and you'll get caught so I always plan for one purse and one carry on/backpack.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter