Flight attendant won't give or serve water in water bottle?? anyone know why?

Princess2R

Mouseketeer
The last 2x i flew American, the flight attendant said they would not/could not give me a half filled water bottle (nor fill up my water container). I am wondering if this is some rule? I only had this problem recently.
They will only serve it in the cup.

why does everybody else get the full cans of whatever they are drinking but I can not just have a a quarter filling of water in the actual bottle that they would be pouring into a cup?

I was traveling with my toddler and just trying to be proactive about getting drinks spilled on me.

I will be prepared next time and buy myself a $4 water at the airport.

Last edited:
They probably don’t want to run the risk of touching surface to surface.

i always get a big bottle of Fiji or the other spring water at airports. It’s SO nice to not have to wait for the flight attendant.

For those less picky, just fill your water at the fountains at the airport.

They can't fill your bottle because it's a health code issue, if the neck of their bottle comes in contact with yours it could cross contaminate. Since they don't provide small bottles it's how they need to do it. However if they have a partial bottle that could fully empty into yours they could (might) do it for you.

On a side note they won't give you a full can of soda without popping top, because it could be used as a blunt object if it were thrown. How sad is it that somebody either did that or came up with that idea. But it's how it is.

I thought that they used tap water on planes which is why I always purchase a bottle in the airport. I heard there is a chance it is contaminated from the holding tank or whatever. Idk if that’s true but wherever I heard it seemed credible. I also am not a germaphobe but for some reason it stuck with me. I don’t know if it is all airlines or just some. But that could be why they don’t give you a bottle of water. Most places won’t refill a personal water bottle

I thought that they used tap water on planes which is why I always purchase a bottle in the airport. I heard there is a chance it is contaminated from the holding tank or whatever. Idk if that’s true but wherever I heard it seemed credible. I also am not a germaphobe but for some reason it stuck with me. I don’t know if it is all airlines or just some. But that could be why they don’t give you a bottle of water. Most places won’t refill a personal water bottle
I think it's the coffee that is made with water from the holding tank? On JetBlue they've always given me bottled water.

They can't fill your bottle because it's a health code issue, if the neck of their bottle comes in contact with yours it could cross contaminate. Since they don't provide small bottles it's how they need to do it. However if they have a partial bottle that could fully empty into yours they could (might) do it for you.
Same thing they do with your refillable Resort Mugs at the pool bars. Gladly give you a cup of soda for you to pour into your mug.

On a side note they won't give you a full can of soda without popping top, because it could be used as a blunt object if it were thrown. How sad is it that somebody either did that or came up with that idea. But it's how it is.
I think you meant a sharp object. It wouldn't do much damage if someone bashed you on the head with it.

I think you meant a sharp object. It wouldn't do much damage if someone bashed you on the head with it.
Nope, meant what I said. Had a flight attendant hand me a full can once, only to come back and ask me to please pop the top then explained the scenario to me. Seemed odd but she was insistent over the "safety concern" 🤷‍♂️

lol, blunt force trauma due to diet coke can. It would lose much of that force once it's popped open.

I think it's the coffee that is made with water from the holding tank? On JetBlue they've always given me bottled water.
JetBlue now only does cups of water as well, they claim it is for environmental reasons, as it reduces plastic use, but really it is a cost cutting measure.

Another reason they pop the top on the soda is many of them can spray more than you would expect if not carefully opened die to the air pressure and such. It is the reason that very few, if any, airlines server root beer in flight.

If someone threw an unopened coke can at you as hard as they could, it would definitely do some damage, especially if it hit you in the abdomen or back

Maybe southwest then - They pour drinks up front.
My water on SW this week was poured from single serve bottles. I could see them from where I was sitting. They also brought another bottle to the pax next to me. The lid was removed. I always thought the removed lid was the same reason they remove them at ballgames, to keep you from having a projectile and so the lids aren’t thrown as well. Picking the lids off the floor become a chore also.

I have on SW had them allow me to mix my own drinks. They brought the mini bottles with the lids on and said “here is your drink and here is an extra.” There were only about 10 people on the flight so perhaps they were less worried.

I have on SW had them allow me to mix my own drinks. They brought the mini bottles with the lids on and said “here is your drink and here is an extra.” There were only about 10 people on the flight so perhaps they were less worried.

I had that happen once. Another flight attendant saw and came over and told us we had to open the bottles as they aren't supposed to give them out unopened.

Nope, meant what I said. Had a flight attendant hand me a full can once, only to come back and ask me to please pop the top then explained the scenario to me. Seemed odd but she was insistent over the "safety concern" 🤷‍♂️
I get it -- you meant the can. I thought you meant flinging the tab like a Ninja shooting star. :)
Picking the lids off the floor become a chore also.
They can be dangerous on the floor, too. I'm unstable on me feet due to a disability, and I've skinned a knee more than once after stepping on an unseen water bottle cap at WDW.

Last edited:

I meant, the flight attendants wouldn't give me their bottle with some water in it instead of in the cup, even if it was less than half full.
I found this strange!
So she poured it for me, and threw away the bottle (that i had asked if i could just use instead)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter