Flight of Passage and fear of heights

Buttercup2009

Mouseketeer
I am really wanting to ride FOP but I have a terrible fear of heights. I have ridden soarin twice and both times had a near panic attack, but it was mainly because I hated the feeling of my feet dangling and I didn't feel secure, like I could fall out of my chair. It also freaked me out because we were literally high up off the ground. I'm thinking I might feel more secure on FOP because of the better restraints and having my feet firmly planted on something. I've read that there are 3 levels of ride vehicles though, and I'm worried that the height of the ride vehicles will trigger a panic attack. Is the lowest level very high off the ground?

I have heard some people compare it to harry potter forbidden journey. I can ride that no problem since I'm securely locked in and I actually love the ride. Any insight from those that have similar experiences as mine is much appreciated!

You will not know what level you are on. It isn't like Soarin' in that way. You will feel much like the way you would in Star Tours, if that makes sense (basically as if you are in a small theater room). The movie itself has some dips and dives, would you expect that to cause a problem?

I don't think the dips and dives would bother me much unless it makes me feel like I'm going to fall off. Star Tours doesn't bother me at all, but I don't feel like I'm dangling on the edge of a cliff on Star Tours and that's how I imagine it to feel on the FOP ride vehicles since they are high off the ground. I can kind of picture it with your description that I wouldn't know what level I am on. I haven't thought of it that way before.

I don't remember my legs being dangled in FOP. Your basically riding a motorcycle contraption thing and it felt very secure. Not once did I feel like I'm falling out.

My mom who is deathly afraid of heights tried it and she loved it. Lol.

I haven't ridden it so I can't comment on the seating or the actual ride itself...

But if you're afraid visuals may trigger you there's video of the flight on YouTube if that will help. Obviously spoilers tho...

Also in this video skip to 13:20 and they'll show how you load & explain a little about safety restraints/how the ride works... don't watch from beginning if you don't want queue/pre show spoilers!

Hope these are helpful.

You're well secured in the restraint. There is definitely the "illusion" of height, but you could always close your eyes if that bothers you.

(The ride instructs you to keep both hands on the handlebars at all times, but I often had to fix my glasses with one hand - and I still felt fairly secure. Soarin, on the other hand, I can only recently ride without grasping the handholds - though I actually love the dangly-foot feeling, especially in the river scene. RIP river scene, lol.)

I don't think the dips and dives would bother me much unless it makes me feel like I'm going to fall off. Star Tours doesn't bother me at all, but I don't feel like I'm dangling on the edge of a cliff on Star Tours and that's how I imagine it to feel on the FOP ride vehicles since they are high off the ground. I can kind of picture it with your description that I wouldn't know what level I am on. I haven't thought of it that way before.

The second and third levels are elevated, and you can see the height if you look around. The ride itself does have some 'flying down straight from a cliff' scenes, so be prepared. I had my eyes closed for about a quarter of the show - I too have a fear of heights, and drops.

I'm doing a little high-jacking of the thread -- which was really helpful. We're going in December and I cannot wait to experience FOP. My mom is 78 is a bit claustrophobic, and has had heart issues. Is this ride not recommended for those with heart concerns?

Thank you

I am really wanting to ride FOP but I have a terrible fear of heights. I have ridden soarin twice and both times had a near panic attack, but it was mainly because I hated the feeling of my feet dangling and I didn't feel secure, like I could fall out of my chair. It also freaked me out because we were literally high up off the ground. I'm thinking I might feel more secure on FOP because of the better restraints and having my feet firmly planted on something. I've read that there are 3 levels of ride vehicles though, and I'm worried that the height of the ride vehicles will trigger a panic attack. Is the lowest level very high off the ground?

I have heard some people compare it to harry potter forbidden journey. I can ride that no problem since I'm securely locked in and I actually love the ride. Any insight from those that have similar experiences as mine is much appreciated!
FJ alays makes me sick. This was very smooth and I was fine on it.. Its the best ride in WDW IMHO

I rode 2x last week. I don't remember any stairs so I must have been the 1st level. In soar In I don't look down most of the ride and hold on for dear life. I felt secure on FOP. First time I rode I looked straight ahead and started counting to ease my fears. There were 1 or 2 parts that scared me a lot. Again, I looked straight ahead. That helps with the fear of heights. I did feel secure the whole ride. It really is an amazing ride.

I rode 2x last week. I don't remember any stairs so I must have been the 1st level. In soar In I don't look down most of the ride and hold on for dear life. I felt secure on FOP. First time I rode I looked straight ahead and started counting to ease my fears. There were 1 or 2 parts that scared me a lot. Again, I looked straight ahead. That helps with the fear of heights. I did feel secure the whole ride. It really is an amazing ride.
Were those the drops off the mountain? I never rode it, but that's my biggest fear with this one. But I'm a total baby, I didn't even have enough bravery for Seven Dwarf Mine Train last time. Lol.

Were those the drops off the mountain? I never rode it, but that's my biggest fear with this one. But I'm a total baby, I didn't even have enough bravery for Seven Dwarf Mine Train last time. Lol.

Ride spoiler ahead! So feel free to skip over.

The stampede part is what did me in! I didn't look down on the drops either but I think only 1 was bad.

Ride spoiler ahead! So feel free to skip over.

The stampede part is what did me in! I didn't look down on the drops either but I think only 1 was bad.
"Stampede", I don't know what this is, but it was worst then the drops???:(, I might chicken out.

If you close your eyes, will that make the motion worse? What could you do if you are feeling queasy. I can do Soarin but have looked down a few times when feeling uneasy. I don't want to miss out! I have not done Star Tours for comparison.

If you close your eyes, will that make the motion worse? What could you do if you are feeling queasy. I can do Soarin but have looked down a few times when feeling uneasy. I don't want to miss out! I have not done Star Tours for comparison.
I didn't close my eyes but I wouldn't think so. It's the visuals that cause the falling feeling. I

I also don't like heights, but now have done FOP 3 times. I do not ride Everest, Space Mtn., Mission Space, RNRC, TOT. I do enjoy BTMRR, SDMT, and even Splash. Basically, I'm a ride wimp haha.

Things I like about FOP that make it enjoyable: my feet are always on the floor. We have been on multiple "levels" but all have felt the same. When I look down, my feet are on the floor. When I look back, I see my stuff in their cubbies behind me. I can talk to my family members next to me. When my "banshee" is about to dive off a cliff or something, I just close my eyes and it's not a problem at all.

I told myself, and then my kids.. that it's about a 3 minute ride. If you don't like it, you never have to do it again. My DD has some sensory issues and still loved the experience, which says a lot.

I hope you try it and enjoy it! Let us know how it goes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter