Flight of Passage - are the back and leg restraints uncomfortable? (Super tight/restrictive)

It was a little tight on my calves but it didn't feel enclosed at all. Don't forget there is a tester seat that they can try to at least get an idea of what it will be like. The cast member moves the back restraint up but I don't think they do/can engage the calf restraints on the tester.

I have never felt really restricted on the ride.
They have a simulated seat outside that you can try.
I've read about more people having motion sickness then trouble with the ride vehicle.

I have issues with restraints - I refuse to ride RNRC or Incredicoaster because if the ride stopped and I was trapped for any length of time with the restraint over my chest I would have a major panic attack.

I was very nervous about FOP, but it didn't bother me as much as I feared. The leg restraints were a non-issue, and I couldn't feel them at all unless I tried to feel them. I tried the trick of scooting forward, but the CM caught me and made it tighter. She said it had to touch me. I could definitely feel the back/tummy restraint and I got a little nervous before the movie started. It takes a bit to get everybody situated in all the rooms so if you are among the first to buckle in it can take more than a minute or two. At the end my restraints released right away, but DH's did not. The CM had to come and release him. That would have made me nervous also.

SDD is another coaster where the CM made my restraints tighter. We were just at DL and interestingly enough the CMs at Space Mountain (where someone broke out of the ride) left all the room in the world.

They have test seats partway through the queue. I wonder if it would be helpful for your friend to try it just to get a feel?

I have found that they are not pushing the restraints as tight against you now versus how they did the first few months the ride was open. One of my DDs is similar in age to the one mentioned by the OP and has a sensory processing disorder. She can ride FOP, but she does get a little nervous they will push the chest restraint too tight against her. However she knows what to expect and has been okay so far.

How are the leg restraints? I have a problem with leg cramps in my calf muscles. Can you straighten your legs at all? Thanks

They have test seats partway through the queue. I wonder if it would be helpful for your friend to try it just to get a feel?
We did this with DD8 in 2017 because she was worried about the restraints. CM was very understanding and showed her where the restraints would go before tightening. She felt comfortable with them since she knew what to expect.

the experience can really vary from person to person. I didn’t give the restraint a second thought, but my DD (she was 10 at the time, very small frame), said she could barely breath. She does not have sensory issues, but for some reason the restrain freaked her out. She still loved the ride and is up for doing it again. Just thought I would mention the perception of it can really vary from person to person!

How are the leg restraints? I have a problem with leg cramps in my calf muscles. Can you straighten your legs at all? Thanks
You knees are bent and you are essentially sat like you are riding a motorcycle. The restraints come behind your legs and there is no way to move your foot forward to straighten your leg. I hope that makes sense.

I am afraid that my review might be too late to help your friend, but I would like to post my expeience here in order to help other people who have sensory issues: I am skinny and petite and don’t have any sensory issues, but the restraints were too tight for me, so tight in fact that I felt I could barely breath. When I reported this issue to the cast member who was checking the restraints, he simply told me that if I could talk, I could breath, and that there was nothing he could do to help me. I then argued that there had to be some wiggle room and asked whether he could move the restraint just a couple of inches away from my back to make me feel more comfortable, but he refused to do so. I was very disappointed but luckily had time to leave the ride before it started. My daughters, who stayed and enjoyed the ride, told me that there was a a little girl next to them who was also having issues with the restraint. The little girl was complaining to her mother that the restraints were too tight and she also mentioned that she was having difficulty breathing. The mother dismissed her daughter’s concerns and told her daughter to just “tough it out.” The little girl ended up staying but seemed to be very upset when she left the ride. I have ridden this ride before without any problems so I’m hopeful that this excessive tightness had simply been caused by an overzealous cast member. But if someone has sensory issues, I think it is important to know that the restraint can end up being super tight!

I am afraid that my review might be too late to help your friend, but I would like to post my expeience here in order to help other people who have sensory issues: I am skinny and petite and don’t have any sensory issues, but the restraints were too tight for me, so tight in fact that I felt I could barely breath. When I reported this issue to the cast member who was checking the restraints, he simply told me that if I could talk, I could breath, and that there was nothing he could do to help me. I then argued that there had to be some wiggle room and asked whether he could move the restraint just a couple of inches away from my back to make me feel more comfortable, but he refused to do so. I was very disappointed but luckily had time to leave the ride before it started. My daughters, who stayed and enjoyed the ride, told me that there was a a little girl next to them who was also having issues with the restraint. The little girl was complaining to her mother that the restraints were too tight and she also mentioned that she was having difficulty breathing. The mother dismissed her daughter’s concerns and told her daughter to just “tough it out.” The little girl ended up staying but seemed to be very upset when she left the ride. I have ridden this ride before without any problems so I’m hopeful that this excessive tightness had simply been caused by an overzealous cast member. But if someone has sensory issues, I think it is important to know that the restraint can end up being super tight!
I sit up a little when the restrant close

I
Have asthma and some other breathing problems when I did this ride the first time I had no idea how tight they were I told my friend with me I can not breath she was like they are right on me too. I ended up passing out on the ride needless to
Say she now takes the I can not breath from me very serious

It may depend on your size. I'm 5'10" and have very large feet, and the combination of the two meant that I could just barely get my feet and legs to fit within the restraints so they could close--once I was in, I wasn't going to be able to shift my legs at all. In general I think they're designed so your legs are locked into a bent position, but it may not be quite as constrictive if you're more petite.

I sit up a little when the restrant close
I do this as well. I have ridden FOP several times and one time the restraint was very tight and made it difficult to take a deep breath in. There was a family near us and their little girl started freaking out when the restraints came up so they asked to leave the ride. The CM undid the restraints and re-did them quickly and left the room. I didn't have a chance to tell him it was too tight because I guess he was trying to make up for the delay of the family getting off. When the ride started and I found that if I lifted my rib cage up a little I wasn't so pressed into the front. Since then, I always make sure to leave a little room.
I don't have sensory issues but I am petite, so more of my upper abdomen and chest are positioned lower on the front piece of the ride that you're held against. I'm thinking that was the issue for me.

I do this as well. I have ridden FOP several times and one time the restraint was very tight and made it difficult to take a deep breath in. There was a family near us and their little girl started freaking out when the restraints came up so they asked to leave the ride. The CM undid the restraints and re-did them quickly and left the room. I didn't have a chance to tell him it was too tight because I guess he was trying to make up for the delay of the family getting off. When the ride started and I found that if I lifted my rib cage up a little I wasn't so pressed into the front. Since then, I always make sure to leave a little room.
I don't have sensory issues but I am petite, so more of my upper abdomen and chest are positioned lower on the front piece of the ride that you're held against. I'm thinking that was the issue for me.
Yep I am Petrie too ( so it hits me in the same place) on top of my asthma I have sensor problems my abdomen is one place no one can touch ( make going to the dr and finding pants really fun) needless to say the first time I read FOP was not a good time for me. Sitting up a little is the only way I can ride this ride. Oh and do not get me started on the vibration at the begging of the ride.

I’ve been on FOP probably 8 times now. I always leave about an inch between my chest and the pad in the front. Only once did an overzealous cast member make an issue of it. I was uncomfortable but obviously could breathe. That was when the ride first started so maybe they have calmed down since then. I was just there and had no problem. I don’t even remember leg restraints.

My 6 year old (at the time)went on it and when they pushed on his back they made it uncomfortably tight to where he didn't want to ever go on again. He may come around this year now that he's 8 and hopefully can push back a bit.
I'm a big guy, I find the restraints mildly uncomfortable but not terrible. Its not claustrophobic. I don't like tight spaces and crowds and sometimes being at Disney or a fair get to me. When I went in Mission Space I was seriously panicking and freaking out. It took a lot of effort to stay calm enough not to freak out my little guy, never going on that again.

I'd say they're rather tight but not bad (I'm average weight)

I am not super tall, right at 6' and my legs barely fit into the leg area... when the leg straps are in place, i can definitely feel the pressure on my legs.. Once the ride is activated, i don't really notice it but no doubt i would be in serious pain if i had to stay in that position for more than 10 or 15 minutes.

I don't particularly care for the back restraint, as if it is tight, it pushes your stomach into the front and then exacerbates my motion sickness. My solution to this is to puff out my stomach when it is being pushed on. Gives me about 1/2 an inch of clearance which isn't dangerous at all, but doesn't put pressure on my stomach. The legs restraints aren't an issue for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter