Flight of Passage is Scary...

DW and I, both 60 yo, experienced FoP a few weeks ago. I suffer more from motion sickness than my DW does. She loved the US HP-FJ ride last year and rode it several times. I could barely make it thru the one time. So I was a bit hesitant to ride FoP, but wanted to at least try it.

I loved the ride. Little to no Motion Sickness and the effects are out of the world. Think Soaring x 100! My DW did suffer a little Motion Sickness, but we think that was more due to use just eating at Yak & Yeti and her still recovering from a cold. She wants to try it again.

The ride blows air on you as you fly and this is very refreshing, helping to overcome motion sickness 'sweats'. Additionally, the ride has several pauses in the flying where you can just immerse yourself in the views and catch your breath, unlike a lot of the US movie screen rides which are non-stop jarring in your face action.

I highly recommend everyone to try it at least once, and don't eat spicy food just prior to the ride.

I don't know about others - but having ridden Star Tours the whole 3D Glasses stuff made me pretty uneasy afterwards. I'm actually debating even visiting that ride again when we go this upcoming trip. I absolutely love coasters (CP right in my backyard) but that kind of just threw me off - and I'm 27

FOP similar with the glasses?

Different people find different things frightening. I worry about myself -- as I age .. I can't stand motion like I used to .. I spin around with my kids at home and am dizzy after a few rotations. Star Tours? If I go on it twice real quickly .. I need a break -- so I wonder how FOP will be.

As for being scared? I imagine my son (who will be 6 at next trip) will find it frightening. He didn't like Star Tours as it made his stomach "feel funny" and despite enjoying SDMT at 3 years old (in the dark) .. he had issues with it at 4 years old in the light . because he could see all the twists and turns and "see" the speed.

Still .. I will take him on it .. nothing like scarring my for life like my dad did to me dragging me (crying) onto BTMRR because he didn't want to go on it alone. Heh.

OP, I'm with you on this one:) I like thrill rides at Universal and Disney (but not the hulk or the other one).
But, I can't take Soarin either. I know, I know, it's a screen and you really aren't falling, but I feel like it. I quit riding Soarin and am absolutely happier without it. FOP wasn't even in my radar, because I know myself and I know I would not like the feeling it gives you.
So, it's not for everyone. I also cancelled my FOP fp in March, because my husband didn't want to use my band and ride it again.
So, you are not alone............................chickens unite!!!

I'm excited about it but dh already knows he will not ride it due to motion sickness. I sure hope my youngest daughter doesn't get scared... she hates any sort of roller coaster drops. Both girls love Star Tours and Soarin', so hopefully no issues.

I don't know about others - but having ridden Star Tours the whole 3D Glasses stuff made me pretty uneasy afterwards. I'm actually debating even visiting that ride again when we go this upcoming trip. I absolutely love coasters (CP right in my backyard) but that kind of just threw me off - and I'm 27

I hate Star Tours and even with Dramamine I can't stomach it. But I loved FOP! So you wear the 3D glasses but it's not at all as jarring as ST in my opinion of course.

I hate Star Tours and even with Dramamine I can't stomach it. But I loved FOP! So you wear the 3D glasses but it's not at all as jarring as ST in my opinion of course.
Yes. Star Tours makes me extremely nauseous, but FOP is no problem. I can ride every ride at Disney (now that I am almost 50) except Star Tours. I do it once a trip for my daughter and then we have to sit and watch a show so I can recover :sick:

Yes. Star Tours makes me extremely nauseous, but FOP is no problem. I can ride every ride at Disney (now that I am almost 50) except Star Tours. I do it once a trip for my daughter and then we have to sit and watch a show so I can recover :sick:

Ditto! No amount of meds can get me on Star Tours. So I just do the line with my friends or kids and then go wait in the store till its over! lol

My mom would completely agree with you. :) She kept her eyes closed the entire time I think.

So can I keep my glasses on to ride as I have pretty bad astigmatism as well?

Yes, you can keep your glasses on. I wanted to be able to enjoy the ride so much, and glad I went once. It's just the sudden swoops and fast scenery changes kept me from focusing fast enough, and just overwhelmed my vision.

Think I'll be the third chiming in with the same answer--Star Tours makes me queasy (I can do it a couple times throughout the day, but I have to really space it out), but FoP did not bother my stomach.

So glad to have found this thread. Forbidden Journey at Universal makes me ill. So do Star Tours, EE (the loop and the backward portion,) and Space Mountain. But I LOVE Soarin', absolutely no issues. Same with Dinosaur - not problem, love it!! So I am up in the air about FOP for our December trip. I REALLY want to try it, but also don't want to feel nauseous for an hour afterwards. Someone in this thread mentioned zofran, which my DD has for IBS. Anyone else tried that for rides?

So glad to have found this thread. Forbidden Journey at Universal makes me ill. So do Star Tours, EE (the loop and the backward portion,) and Space Mountain. But I LOVE Soarin', absolutely no issues. Same with Dinosaur - not problem, love it!! So I am up in the air about FOP for our December trip. I REALLY want to try it, but also don't want to feel nauseous for an hour afterwards. Someone in this thread mentioned zofran, which my DD has for IBS. Anyone else tried that for rides?

I took Bonine before riding Forbidden Journey. I didn’t take anything for FoP. I was fine both times.

This thread cracks me up. :teeth:( Mostly because some of you are saying "yes stay away...don't get FP for FOP) :rolleyes1

I have seen sooo many posts where people liked it so much they were brought to tears. (some were rather admittedly old too!)

Now someone is calling it frightening?!o_O

I just want to ask xoSonya.......if from the moment the ride started you had closed your eyes would you have felt okay? Was it the visual only..or the visual mixed with the "flying"?
FOP did not make me sick/ill. It SCARED me. Yes, it's a simulator, but a darn good one! It's extremely immersive and realistic. I didn't feel relaxed like I was gently, gliding thru the air. I felt like I was in a military jet performing combat missions or practicing high speed flying drills.

I closed my eyes often, but I had my eyes open long enough to know that FOP is intense.

I'm happy for everyone who likes FOP so much they can't wait to ride it again and again. I'm a one and done. My opinion of the attraction is as valid as the people saying that the ride is great fun. I wanted to give others, who might be curious, another perspective.

I'm in my late 40s, by the way.

I'm excited about it but dh already knows he will not ride it due to motion sickness. I sure hope my youngest daughter doesn't get scared... she hates any sort of roller coaster drops. Both girls love Star Tours and Soarin', so hopefully no issues.
I could be wrong, but if she hates rollercoaster drops be warned, FOP is a rollercoaster drop on steroids. At least with a rollercoaster you can see the track (except Space Mountain) and kind of get a sense how the drop will go and what will come next. With FOP, the drops come (at high rates of speed) and then you "flip in circles" and then you fly at high rates of speed and then you take a brief breather. Then you get attacked, by things in the water, then in the sky and then on the ground. Flying up and dropping down and getting bumped around. Yikes! I wish I had known. Seeing the YouTube videos doesn't give it justice.

You might want to ride it first without your daughter.

JMO, nothing scary about it to me, but because of my severe astigmatism, only was able to ride it once - was sort of 'out of it' (spacey) for 30 min. or so.
What about your astigmatism made it a problem? I've never heard that, but have an astigmatism and now am wondering if that's why some other rides bother me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter