Flight of Passage motion

I get queasy on motion simulators. I skip Star Tours (and almost everything at Universal). Soarin’ doesn’t bother me - I think because it doesn’t really move around.

I hated FOP. I got as nauseated as I have on any ride ever. The second half was torture.

Thanks for asking this question OP.

I get pretty motion sick, can't do Star Tours, Everest, Space Mountain, Mission Space, or anything that spins (tea cups). I'm fine on Soarin, and love it. I'm guessing based on some of these responses I'm going to have to skip FOP.

I'm VERY sensitive when it comes to motion. I've gotten motion sick in a car going down a straight road before (I wish I was kidding!). I was nervous about FOP when we rode for the first time in June, but I had NO issues! For comparison, I can do Star Tours once before I need to stop/take a break. I haven't tried Mission Space for fear of getting motion sick, but everything else is okay for me (in moderation).

To add my two cents ...

I rode FOP last week. I followed other people's advice and watched the lead rider for the first half of the ride and was fine, but then there's a lovely dark/night time scene (which was very pretty to look at and mostly stationary on the ride vehicle), and after that I had to close my eyes. I think it's a combination of the movement of the screen (there's a lot of swooping), the movement of the ride seat/vehicle (tipping back, forth, left and right) and the 3D. All that at once is a little much :)

For reference, I get slightly queasy on Star Tours and I'm fine on Soarin' (the only ride I simply cannot do is the Simpsons Ride at Universal).

In the end, I'd probably not ride FOP again. It's not totally because of the queasiness (I ride Star Tours multiple times on each trip, but just know to pace myself between rides), but it's partially because I'm just not that interested in Avatar (the movie bored me).

Hate to be repetitive, but I also don't want you to miss this amazing ride. I can not ride star tours or anything spinning. I love soarin' but do close my eyes during one part. Love Philharmagic, but have to close my eyes during the magic carpet scene. I get car sickness. FoP is so great. I was really nervous the first time. There is one scene I squint through, but other than that, keep your eyes on the guide and it's great! We have two Fast passes for our trip in September. So excited!

How is it compared to Forbidden Journey Harry Potter over at US/IOA?

I don't get motion sick, I rides coasters, etc... and Forbidden Journey made me absolutely green (this was before they tamed it down a bit) and I was sick to my stomach for several hours. FoP I can ride all day. My theory is that the ride "vehicle" makes all the difference, it seems the FJ vehicle was not programmed to work in the way physics and gravity naturally work, so it jerks you all over everywhere in an unnatural way. Disney's rides, including, FoP don't do that. They "make sense" to your brain, and because of FoP's theater and vehicle, there is no jerkiness at all. IMO, it's more comparable to Gringott's, but that's still not a great comparison.

Out of my family of 6, 3 get motion sickness. Two of them get it severely, like down for a few hours after riding Star Tours. All three were determined to ride FOP on our last trip and took meds prior and all of them did fine. It was a priority for them to ride it at least once to see for themselves and all three said they would ride again, but with the safety net of motion sickness meds again.

I say that if motion sickness meds help you, you have that as an extra precaution before riding. FOP is definitely a ride like no other and so visually stunning you should try it at least once.

I get motion sick at the drop of a hat. I wear a patch for motion sickness but can still have some minor issues. I like Soarin' but recently had issues on the newer version. I never had issues on the old version. I rode FOP for the first time last year. There were a few parts that made me a little queasy. I just focused on something else. I felt a little green when I got off but by the time the fresh air hit my face, I was perfectly fine. With all of that being said, I still ride the rides. I don't want to miss riding anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter