Flight of Passage: Overrated?

FOP is good, and it was great the first time I rode it. However, each time I ride, I get diminishing returns. I have ridden it over 5 times now. It's still a great ride and probably one of the best at WDW. For me though, Forbidden Journey is the best ride I have done. I have ridden it several times. Subsequent times were not as good as the first; however, each time I ride it, it is still incredibly exhilarating and takes my breath away. FOP is probably better than most of the other rides at Universal though. Gringott's is good but just a big disappointment. Glad I hadn't heard all of the hype before I rode it. I wish I had ridden it before Forbidden Journey, since nothing compares to that.

My boyfriend has a lazy eye, so any rides that rely on 3D effects fall flat. I loved FOP, but it didn’t do much for him. In that respect it’s really about perspective. :laughing:

Not overrated, but I was on it this past weekend and right before we got to the part with the elephant-like creatures, the whole ride shut down. Then the girl on the left-most bike vomited like crazy. Both incidents were related - the ride has sick sensors (if Mission Space did the same thing, that ride would be shutting down all the time!). Unfortunately, they shut down the entire ride for about an hour or so. I feel bad for that person - getting sick and then pissing off all the other guests who wanted to ride.

Not overrated, but I was on it this past weekend and right before we got to the part with the elephant-like creatures, the whole ride shut down. Then the girl on the left-most bike vomited like crazy. Both incidents were related - the ride has sick sensors (if Mission Space did the same thing, that ride would be shutting down all the time!). Unfortunately, they shut down the entire ride for about an hour or so. I feel bad for that person - getting sick and then pissing off all the other guests who wanted to ride.

Oh, man, that sucks!

FoP - I was underwhelmed by the video quality. Home televisions & mobile devices have spoiled. All that money, and it "looks" unclear. But it is still a good attraction, no doubt.

Rode it for the first time last trip. Was it awesome? Sure.

Was it markedly different from Soarin in Epcot or California Soarin in California Adventure? No. My opinion is that the only major change is that you're hunched over a barrel in FOB, whereas you're in a comfy ride seat with a lap bar for Soarin. At the end of the day, you're moving around in a seat in front of a big screen.

If we get a FP for it in the future, I'll definitely ride it again, and I'll enjoy it again. But, I think I was expecting some sort of life-changing experience based on how cast members and other folks talked about it. For me, it didn't happen. It's now on my list of "it'll be nice if we can ride it, but I'm not going to be disappointed if we can't."[/QUOTE

Completely agree here. Yes the technology was incredible. Yes I hope to ride it again sometime, but it's not the end all, be all that many have proclaimed it to be. Now that I've done it, I'll never stand-by to ride it again. Don't get me wrong, the display of new technology was really cool, but it didn't have nearly the entertainment value of many of the classic
Rode it for the first time last trip. Was it awesome? Sure.

Was it markedly different from Soarin in Epcot or California Soarin in California Adventure? No. My opinion is that the only major change is that you're hunched over a barrel in FOB, whereas you're in a comfy ride seat with a lap bar for Soarin. At the end of the day, you're moving around in a seat in front of a big screen.

If we get a FP for it in the future, I'll definitely ride it again, and I'll enjoy it again. But, I think I was expecting some sort of life-changing experience based on how cast members and other folks talked about it. For me, it didn't happen. It's now on my list of "it'll be nice if we can ride it, but I'm not going to be disappointed if we can't."

Agree 100% here. Now it's an incredible display of technology, but its overall entertainment value doesn't hold a candle to classic attractions like Splash Mountain. I was glad we rode it, and hope to ride it again, but if not, I really won't miss it.

Agree 100% here. Now it's an incredible display of technology, but its overall entertainment value doesn't hold a candle to classic attractions like Splash Mountain. I was glad we rode it, and hope to ride it again, but if not, I really won't miss it.
same here. I prefer classic attractions over FOP. it was an awesome ride but i can take it or leave it. I wouldnt be sad if I missed it next trip. But Splash, ya, thats a classic. i'd be ticked if i didnt ride it at least once during my trip.

I think, to me, this really depends on the kind of ride you like.

To be honest... I'm not a soarin fan *ducks people throwing their popcorn at me* I just find it... meh. I don't hate it, but I'm not going out of my way for it. So FOP to me was cool, it was fun to do, am I going to stress myself out if I don't get a fastpass next time? No. Nor will I wait for hours to ride it. If there was no line, would I get on it? Sure, it was neat and I am impressed with what they are doing creatively and tech wise, I just prefer to use my time in other ways.

To be honest... I'm not a soarin fan *ducks people throwing their popcorn at me*

Neither is the DIS team. They keep bringing up something I've never really noticed or paid attention to, and that's how unless you're sitting dead center, the video is skewered by the curvature of the screen and that's why you have an awkward-looking Eiffel Tower if you're sitting on the side.

I think my first and only experience with FoP was much like my first experience with Soarin'. I was bored, and couldn't figure out why people liked it so much. Never, at any point did I feel immersed in Soarin'. I have since adjusted where I sit and I now enjoy Soarin' a lot more. Perhaps I need to try FoP again? My boyfriend loved it, but I left severely underwhelmed. I felt like I was sitting on a bike watching a movie. I never felt like I was fully "in" the ride. One thing that I know took me out of it was how many scenes put you in/around splashing water and I'd brace for getting wet, and nothing. I'd be right back on a bike watching a screen again. Maybe an artificial breeze? Little water sprayers? Something? I don't know. I was bored. Honestly that's a relief for me, because getting FPs for that ride was a pain in the butt. I was so glad I didn't wait.

I do think it's overrated. At the end of the day it's a screen ride. A very good one, but a screen ride. To be honest for me, if the banshee you were riding didn't ''breathe', it'd be rated even lower.

I still like forbidden journey at ioa better because there are real elements to the ride, not just screens.

We had a lovely tour experience in AK a few weeks ago, where we got priority access to most rides in AK. I was so pumped to do FOP. I actually really liked the movie, too. I thought the ride was superb, and the theming of everything was amazing. It did not, however, live up to the hype I had built in my head. It never felt like I was really flying, which is what I had heard. I could always sense that I was on a simulation ride. I will absolutely do it again, but I didn’t think it was the best ride ever. Guardians at DCA, IMHO, is the best ride ever!! I’ve ridden it between 20-30 times and every time, I find it so fun and exhilarating!!

You know what ride gave me a lump in my throat? Hyperspace Mountain at DLR. OMG, the awesomeness of SM combined with the awesomeness of Star Wars almost made me die and go to Heaven. I haven’t been on FOP yet. Haven’t been able to get an FP and I ain’t waiting for hours either.

I had not seen the movie the ride is based on prior to riding, but I really enjoyed the ride and found it exciting and immersive!....I did cry as well; partially because my mother who loved Soarin best of all had just passed away, and I felt she would have loved this ride!...That said, I had Fastpasses.....Waiting 2 hours for a ride does taint the joy of it; you get a "that's it?" feeling waiting so long. I waited for N'avi, and felt like a moron after.

You know what ride gave me a lump in my throat? Hyperspace Mountain at DLR. OMG, the awesomeness of SM combined with the awesomeness of Star Wars almost made me die and go to Heaven. I haven’t been on FOP yet. Haven’t been able to get an FP and I ain’t waiting for hours either.

I agree but I’ve found Hyperspace isn’t perceived as highly as FoP, especially from the hardcore Disney fans. Everyone I know personally loves Hyperspace.

This.

I've never experienced that kind of *awe* on a ride before. Soarin' came closest, but FoP brought actual tears. Not running-down-my-face tears, but definitely a lump in the throat. Such a beautiful experience.
Exactly this. When we got off and were back outside my 8 year old said she never heard me get so excited on a ride when I wasn't just screaming involuntarily out of fear. DH told his Disney geek coworker who wasn't able to get FPs the week before we went that it was the most amazing ride ever. Coworker went back last week and texted DH just before he rode, "If this doesn't live up to your hype, you'll never live it down." Next text was, "That was f'ing amazing."

I'm planning on riding this with someone who hates heights and has somewhat motion sickness. If they hate the ride and close their eyes is it totally doable?
I wouldn't think of riding Soarin with him due to the height. TIA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter