Flight of Passage + People of Size = Disappointing

We are missing a BIG point here. OPs BF did ride already. Second CM was more cautious. He KNEW he COULD fit, but they can't verify that. So what if someone does the rest seat, has a cm try the leg thing, and then when they get to board, next cm says no-go.
Universal experiences the same thing with the Harry Potter rides. Just because one test seat/cm says you will fit does NOT mean the actual loader seat/cm will say the same thing (and vice versa).
You are going to tell me I was good to ride in the morning but now "my legs swelled" and I cant ride? No way that is going to fly in my book.

Maybe recheck your book? May I ask why you think someone's legs wouldn't swell after potentially walking miles in a single day?

What roller coaster is that? Who are they?

Was referring to RNRoller coaster at DHS.

I see what you mean, but I see that going over like a lead balloon. The response would be, "then what's the point of riding?" and CMs would be going round and round in circles with people all the time. A CM couldn't exactly say to someone "there really isn't, now, without the movement to accompany what you're seeing"

Can't speak for anyone else, but would be happy to experience 80-90% of the ride experience in order to get on the latest and greatest. I own the movie in 3D and love the Banshee scenes, actually thought to myself this would make a great ride when it first came out.

I'm going down in late August and trying fervently to lose enough weight to get on, in that sense it's a great incentive, but due to mobility issues it's been slower going than I would like, know long term it's probably the best way. Problem is the FP dilemma, whether to risk wasting one and not getting on or having a lengthy wait for the river ride. As you probably figured, I am a big fan of the movie. May just try for the river ride FP for my first day and try and grab FOP FP for a later day in the trip, can always rearrange if I can't fit. Going in with the attitude that I probably won't make it and will be pleasantly surprised if I do; do have a big belly and large calves, not a good combination for those restraints.

Not to be snarky, but who measures their calves? I don't think I ever have.

Not snarky at all. Those of us who ride do! I have to have custom riding boots because my calves are large from riding a LOT and they're also longer than average even though I'm 5'8". So I'm worried about this ride too!

FYI: the first time I rode I did close my eyes at some spots but STILL got the dropping feeling (now i know why after watching the room video). So you will still get that feeling but you wont get the visuals
I was specifically talking about if they installed stationary seats (since several posters said the ride vehicle movement closely follows the video and decreases incidence of nausea, so a stationary seat might increase the incidence).

Not snarky at all. Those of us who ride do! I have to have custom riding boots because my calves are large from riding a LOT and they're also longer than average even though I'm 5'8". So I'm worried about this ride too!

I swear I learn new things on the internet all the time. :)

So bikers measure their calves for the boots they wear. Makes total sense, but not something that I would have thought of myself. Thanks.

I swear I learn new things on the internet all the time. :)

So bikers measure their calves for the boots they wear. Makes total sense, but not something that I would have thought of myself. Thanks.

I also measure my calves. I'm a competitive powerlifter and wear neoprene knee sleeves when I compete. Calf size determines sleeve size. :-)

I also measure my calves. I'm a competitive powerlifter and wear neoprene knee sleeves when I compete. Calf size determines sleeve size. :-)

Another reason to measure one's calves! Somebody up thread also mentioned it for running sleeves. I wouldn't have thought...

Having also been on the skinny end of the spectrum, I think the comments toward smaller people are most often meant as compliments, especially when said directly to the person. (Obviously that's not always the case. I did find out that people were accusing me of being anorexic behind my back, even I've never had what's even approached an eating disorder, which clearly wasn't meant to be complimentary.) The same cannot be said for larger people. I have a few family members who are quite heavy, and the comments they endure make anything I've *ever* heard said about a thin person pale in comparison.

I have a lot of anxieties, and would personally feel extremely self conscious if a CM asked me to try out any test seat. It would be especially bad if the seat were in a conspicuous location. I'm sure they could find a place for a test seat that is out of the way so that people aren't "on display" and so the seat isn't in the way of pictures, and include signage so people know the test seat is available.

Also, if they included stationary seats for those who can't use the ride vehicle for whatever reason, couldn't they just tell people to close their eyes if they become nauseated?

Are you guys sure that people are actually making comments about you (or others) trying out the seat? Perhaps they were laughing at something else, and because you are already self conscious, you just assumed it was you? I've done that before. :)

I just have never seen strangers (adults) just outright making fun of other strangers, at a family place no less, unless they were really drunk. I live in a big city, take public transportation twice a day, see people of all shapes and sizes, have people I care about who are all shapes and sizes. Everywhere we go (like parks, zoos, shopping, etc.) is crowded. I have seen fights or skirmishes between people (not often), but not just people making fun of random people out loud for them to hear.
Now I've heard men make vulgar comments about me (or others, even to my mom:scared1: ) in front of strangers, so I understand that it's embarrassing, but somehow they thought they were being complimentary. But this sounds like people being cruel for sport. Were they kids/teenagers who don't know better?

I can only assume the people who are doing this aren't used to seeing all types of people? :confused3

Last edited:
I assumed zuzu03 was referring to equestrian riding boots. My horsey girl knows her calf size.

Are you guys sure that people are actually making comments about you (or others) trying out the seat? Perhaps they were laughing at something else, and because you are already self conscious, you just assumed it was you? I've done that before. :)

I just have never seen strangers (adults) just outright making fun of other strangers, at a family place no less, unless they were really drunk. I live in a big city, take public transportation twice a day, see people of all shapes and sizes, have people I care about who are all shapes and sizes. Everywhere we go (like parks, zoos, shopping, etc.) is crowded. I have seen fights or skirmishes between people (not often), but not just people making fun of random people out loud for them to hear.
Now I've heard men make vulgar comments about me (or others, even to my mom:scared1: ) in front of strangers, so I understand that it's embarrassing, but somehow they thought they were being complimentary. But this sounds like people being cruel for sport. Were they kids/teenagers who don't know better?

I can only assume the people who are doing this aren't used to seeing all types of people? :confused3

Unfortunately, there is some percentage of the population that believes it's OK to insult and demean people who are overweight. I've been overweight my entire adult life. I've had people openly mock me, call me "Miss XXL" to my face, leave nasty notes on my windshield, comment on the food I'm eating in a restaurant... I could go on for paragraphs. I finally decided to embrace my body and my appearance. Now I put on a singlet, step on a platform in front of hundreds of people, put a barbell on my back and lift heavy weight -- I'm proud of my strength, my body and the athlete I've become.

You must be average size.

Unfortunately, there is some percentage of the population that believes it's OK to insult and demean people who are overweight. I've been overweight my entire adult life. I've had people openly mock me, call me "Miss XXL" to my face, leave nasty notes on my windshield, comment on the food I'm eating in a restaurant... I could go on for paragraphs. I finally decided to embrace my body and my appearance. Now I put on a singlet, step on a platform in front of hundreds of people, put a barbell on my back and lift heavy weight -- I'm proud of my strength, my body and the athlete I've become.

That's absolutely horrifying. Sorry that happens to you. :sad1:

You must be average size.

Yes I am.

I truly have never seen this type of stuff happening. Of course I know people will say mean things to people when they think no one else can hear or they won't be caught, but to do it so publicly - I can't believe no one tells those people to shut up! With that, I will leave this thread as I shouldn't discuss something I have not experienced.

Last edited:

See my post a few pages back here about my experiences rising Living with the Land a few years ago (as just one example!) I'm really not understanding people on this thread telling fat people to doubt our own experiences.... trust us. If you don't live in our type of body, don't try to tell people who do what our experiences really are.

Please. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter