Florida has gators and California has raccoons

Are you positive it was a raccoon? Perhaps it was a mountain lion :headache:

Raccoons are common throughout California, so an occasional sighting in the parks should be expected.
Disney likely removes raccoons that attempt to make the parks a permanent home, since they can be quite destructive and can bite.

Raccoons are nowhere near as dangerous as gators. I'll take anything Californian over the wildlife in Florida any day.

I dunno. For the most part alligators don't attack anything particularly large.

California has mountain lions and bears, which can theoretically stalk and chase down a human on land. An alligator is not going to be able to outrun a human.

And I have seen some particularly nasty raccoons. They will also attack in packs, with some reports of over a dozen attacking together.

OMG!!!! Here I was thinking they were nice :(

I see them often in my rural neighborhood. Raccoons are *rarely* aggressive to people...if you leave them alone. There's a young one that will stroll right by me as I work in my garden, with an air that makes me want to say "Morning, Ralph."...and I half-expect a "Morning, Sam." in reply. :listen:

Raccoons can be agressive like any other animal. However if you see one in the daytime that is out near people and seems to be aggressive without being provoked be weary there is a good chance that this behavior is being caused by rabies, normally they try to stay away from people.

A racccoon managed to corner my sister during the day on our long porch. There wasn't a break or stairs on that side she was only 6 or 7 and between the high rail and the porch being raised it was too high for her to climb up and jump. My Dad was able to climb up a bit and lift her over so everyone could get inside.

The biggest animal I saw in the parks that wasn't put there on purpose by the park managers was a bunny that was enjoying some of the flower and garden festival flowers one spring.

I've also seen raccoons in my urban neighborhood. They were living in the storm water system underground; they would come out of the curb/street side drain in the evenings to look for food. As others have said, as long as you leave them alone they'll generally leave you alone. I've not seen raccoons in DLR; mostly I've seen ducks, Canadian Geese, birds, mice/rats (not just Mickey), and cats!

I see raccons everynow and then in california. I have never seen one in Disneyland or around, but it wouldn't surprise me or catch me off guard. Some will run as soon as you see them others will make you run lol Mountain lion sightings are becoming more usual in the bay area or at least at the hiking parks Sometimes goign out in to the neighborhoods

We saw a couple of racoons the other evening on the Jungle Cruise! They were in one of the displays and the skipper used her flashlight so we could see them better.

I live in a country setting and we have racoons all around us. They've never caused us any problems and as others have said, they stay away from people for the most part. They can be mean if you have pets, as our dog got into a scuffle with one one night and the racoon was definitely the winner. I can see them in the evening sometimes because we have a creek and they come there to wash their food. They sometimes make very eerie noises something like screaming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter