Florida is hurting our wdw workers and lots of other people

Heard news this AM here in FL. reporting that once fixed BACK CHECKS WILL BE PAID including $600.00 for PART TIMERS????

but then I didn't have Espresso yet so maybe :listen: wasn't working properly

The only thing new about this is the scale and the exposure. States routinely have but road block after road block after road block to discourage people from applying for benefits. Florida has always been a guilty party. And from what I've gathered, not enough people in Florida care enough to make sure something is done about it.
Some Floridians would probably find that offensive, but it is a fair statement.

Florida, through our elected legislators, has intentionally made the state an unattractive place to draw unemployment. That is not accidental.

The system overload due to volume is a different problem, and has been largely corrected.

I read a report yesterday that said that FL had processed less than 50,000 claims in the 4 weeks since mid-March. Now, I don't care how bad your system is, you have to want to not process claims to move that slowly.
The state probably has an under-powered computer system to match the puny UE payments; makes sense when you think on it.
NYS' unemployment website crashed in the beginning when the first stage of the statewide shutdown started. Had to implement filing by letter (A-F Mon; G- J Tues, etc), and hire about 1000 workers to take phone calls and process them. At the same time an order went out that people could not be evicted for non-payment or have their utilities (including internet) shut off. I think things are going smoother now but sorry other states didn't learn the lessons and prepare in advance.

Some Floridians would probably find that offensive, but it is a fair statement. Florida, through our elected legislators, has intentionally made the state an unattractive place to draw unemployment. That is not accidental.

The system overload due to volume is a different problem, and has been largely corrected.

I certainly will admit that rarely have I been accused of being more prudent than honest. :)

I grew up very poor. Below the poverty line most of my childhood. There was a time I made very little and was low income. If they’re getting more through unemployment than what they actually make for a few months who cares. I have zero envy. No way do I want to be in their shoes ever again. I know what it’s like to be a low income earner. It’s not fun and I wouldn’t trade my income now for 4 months of an extra $600 a week.

Last edited:
And not every person in Florida who has to file is going to be getting more than their paycheck. If I am furloughed, unemployment, including the extra 600, will make up about half of my normal check - if I can get registered and paid. Even if you reduce your expenses to the bare minimum of necessary utilities only, there’s still a chance you will end up on the street, if not now, then when all the deferred bills come due at once. Florida is also not the only state having issues. We are just in the bullseye, especially on a Florida theme park fan site.

I have only applied for unemployment once, when the company I worked for went out of business. I remember the scramble to keep the bills paid and food on the table. And that was at a time when there wasn’t a delay in getting registered or paid. I cannot imagine what families with children are going through right now, with nothing coming in while they wait for a check that may be half or less of what they were bringing home before. I don’t think anyone is going to be throwing a party with their unemployment check.

Half the people who file probably arent even eligible. But they filed anyways to see what they could get. Best case, they get some extra money, worst case they get denied.

Half the people who file probably arent even eligible. But they filed anyways to see what they could get. Best case, they get some extra money, worst case they get denied.
Sorry but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me but maybe FL's unemployment works differently than others. We've been "computer followed" for years and it wouldn't take long to figure out. At least not as long as needed to cut a check, LOL

Sorry but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me but maybe FL's unemployment works differently than others. We've been "computer followed" for years and it wouldn't take long to figure out. At least not as long as needed to cut a check, LOL

Based on the last time I collected, there was a delay of one week for them to verify the employment history I provided, and then once it was verified that I was entitled to the aid, the payments began. This could be contributing to the delay because it’s hard to verify employment history when the employers are shut down at the same time. So under normal circumstances it would be discovered pretty quickly that someone wasn’t entitled to payment. I don’t know how quickly it would happen today.

I have family members in Rhode Island who have had to file for unemployment. They applied one week and began receiving benefits including the $600 federal the next week. There is absolutely no reason for Florida to not get their crap together and get this done. My heart breaks for people who need this to feed their families. Inexcusable.

Somebody answered that above -- unemployment is insurance, and is pre-paid.

Right but no one wrecks 26 million cars at once! I have no idea what the actual percent they keep liquid is but Im sure unemployment, just like insurance, does not keep enough to cover all who pay into it. Or even a fraction for that matter.

Worst case is you receive money and get caught committing fraud.

I grew up very poor. Below the poverty line most of my childhood. There was a time I made very little and was low income. If they’re getting more through unemployment than what they actually make for a few months who cares. I have zero envy. No way do I want to be in their shoes ever again. I know what it’s like to be a low income earner. It’s not fun and I wouldn’t trade my income now for 4 months of an extra $600 a week.
No one should make more on unemployment. It makes no sense for that to happen.

Right but no one wrecks 26 million cars at once! I have no idea what the actual percent they keep liquid is but Im sure unemployment, just like insurance, does not keep enough to cover all who pay into it. Or even a fraction for that matter.
Apparently some states are already looking for money.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexan...aining-their-unemployment-funds/#3447b27e6842
Nearly 50% of states including California, New York and Massachusetts have drained almost half of their total trust fund reserve in funding unemployment payments for those out-of-work due to the coronaviru pandemic, per WSJ.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but I know people that I know for a fact applied knowing 100% they were not eligible. They said, "I know...but maybe I'll get the $600!" :rolleyes:

They got denied, but the bad thing is they also tied up the computer systems so that legitimate, eligible people could not apply.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but I know people that I know for a fact applied knowing 100% they were not eligible. They said, "I know...but maybe I'll get the $600!" :rolleyes:

They got denied, but the bad thing is they also tied up the computer systems so that legitimate, eligible people could not apply.
If you live in a state where PUA hasn’t been implemented yet, your application could be denied until your unemployment office is ready to start accepting claims from self-employed, freelance and gig workers. When your state does start accepting these claims, you might have to file a new claim, or your previously denied claim could be reviewed under the new rules.

In other words, millions of people do qualify for PUA ($600/mo) who do not qualify for state unemployment, but you still have to file through your state.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter