Florida is hurting our wdw workers and lots of other people

In this case it does seem that it could have been capped at 100% of prior employment. I am sure there were political reasons that was not added to the bill.
There are political reasons attached to every bill...about every subject.

But there is some okay economics to it as well. Unemployment is limited. In Florida, it's limited to 12 weeks. Other states probably have different timelines because the standards are set by the state, not the federal government. So if a recipient receives more for 12 weeks and then nothing, the $600 will help offset that.

IF they ever even see the money. Plus what PPs have already stated as well.
I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying here. Are you implying the business owner won't use the loans to pay wages? Do you think an employer owes it to their employees to lay them off instead of keeping them on payroll if their wages aren't more than unemployment+$600? The relief program isn't meant to be a cash-grab for workers who are legitimately still employed. I agree with this business owner's comment: "On what planet...". :sad2:

There are political reasons attached to every bill...about every subject.

But there is some okay economics to it as well. Unemployment is limited. In Florida, it's limited to 12 weeks. Other states probably have different timelines because the standards are set by the state, not the federal government. So if a recipient receives more for 12 weeks and then nothing, the $600 will help offset that.
You can still cap it at 100% even if the up to $600 extends beyond the states unemployment.

For example in Florida's case it is the $275 from the state + up to $600, total not to exceed 100% of prior employment. Then for the next 4 weeks up to $600 not to exceed 100% of prior employment.

I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying here. Are you implying the business owner won't use the loans to pay wages? Do you think an employer owes it to their employees to lay them off instead of keeping them on payroll if their wages aren't more than unemployment+$600? The relief program isn't meant to be a cash-grab for workers who are legitimately still employed. I agree with this business owner's comment: "On what planet...". :sad2:

most people I know filed 4 weeks ago and haven’t seen a penny let alone the extra $600. Unemployment claims are taking forever.

most people I know filed 4 weeks ago and haven’t seen a penny let alone the extra $600. Unemployment claims are taking forever.
This employer wants to pay them now. They don’t want paid. It sounded like you were saying she wouldn’t pay them. They want to sit home and collect unemployment instead of collecting pay. Once this is over there will be plenty of people looking for work. I would be firing the ones that are so upset about being paid.

I wasn’t replying to the link. I was replying to the statement about unemployed people making more than they did working. Which they quoted someone who had quoted me. There was a lot of quoting going on. Lol

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but I know people that I know for a fact applied knowing 100% they were not eligible. They said, "I know...but maybe I'll get the $600!" :rolleyes:

They got denied, but the bad thing is they also tied up the computer systems so that legitimate, eligible people could not apply.
Actually what I suspected seems to be true: the system for processing was nowhere near up to the challenge and most of the problems existed before the current and unprecedented usage. In order to cut taxes after the 2008 recession, it was scaled back and benefits lowered. The current governor has admitted the flaws, and in his defense, the scale back was not done on his watch:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/23/us/florida-coronavirus-unemployment.html
I'm sorry some of your acquaintances are trying to game the system; we all have known people like that in our lives at times.

Do you think an employer owes it to their employees to lay them off instead of keeping them on payroll if their wages aren't more than unemployment+$600?
I may be mistaken, but I think that is one reason WDW cited for laying people off.

Most states (if not all) will no longer pay unemployment benefits if you turn down an employment opportunity (within certain parameters). So, if you are laid off, collect, then offered your job back, you are only eligible for unemployment for the period between the date you were let go and the job offer was extended again. This requires the employer to notify the state that they attempted to rehire the employee, but the employee refused.

Since the employer pays a percentage of the unemployment benefits, you can bet that they will notify the state.

There have been millions on new unemployment applications filed. The staffing and computers in the state unemployment offices were never designed to process that many applications in a short period of time.

I don't see a solution other then time. The states could not afford to pay to staff the office for years in anticipation of this scenario. Lots and lots of people would be sitting around doing nothing.

Well if hospitals were wrong not to have stockpiled and paid for ventilators and PPE well in excess of their historical need, then states that ignored long needed improvements to their systems are also wrong.

No one should make more on unemployment. It makes no sense for that to happen.

Without the extra, temporary $600, no one does. Ironically it’s workers in those states with the worst exist social safety nets that get the most benefit from this additional payment.

Well if hospitals were wrong not to have stockpiled and paid for ventilators and PPE well in excess of their historical need, then states that ignored long needed improvements to their systems are also wrong.

This is epic. It would have been extremely wasteful to maintain a staff for the past 100 years to be prepared for this influx of unemployment claims.

That does not mean that it is not hard on those waiting for their unemployment.

The state probably has an under-powered computer system to match the puny UE payments; makes sense when you think on it.
NYS' unemployment website crashed in the beginning when the first stage of the statewide shutdown started. Had to implement filing by letter (A-F Mon; G- J Tues, etc), and hire about 1000 workers to take phone calls and process them. At the same time an order went out that people could not be evicted for non-payment or have their utilities (including internet) shut off. I think things are going smoother now but sorry other states didn't learn the lessons and prepare in advance.
Florida's unemployment system/website was a disaster before any of this started, on purpose. If you can't get it to work, you can't apply for unemployment.

Without the extra, temporary $600, no one does. Ironically it’s workers in those states with the worst exist social safety nets that get the most benefit from this additional payment.

Definitely true in Florida. No way to live on the $275 per week our state unemployment provides. If you are lucky, that might pay the rent or mortgage, but there wouldn’t be anything left for food and other necessary bills. If you defer the rent or mortgage, then you don’t have anything left to save up for when those payments come due. Don’t forget that $275 is before taxes as well . . .We need that extra $600 very much, especially families with children.

Staff - absolutely. But having a scalable IT infrastructure is cost effective. Where they really failed their people is in their technology, not their staffing.
I would be willing to bet that there is an IT manager somewhere in Florida just in a continuous "I told you so" loop. In the private sector it is almost impossible to get the funding to replace decades old systems that still more or less work. In government it is impossible.

I would be willing to bet that there is an IT manager somewhere in Florida just in a continuous "I told you so" loop. In the private sector it is almost impossible to get the funding to replace decades old systems that still more or less work. In government it is impossible.

Folks like small government. This is small unemployment office and resources.

Folks like small government. This is small unemployment office and resources.
From the call out for Cobol programmers across the country it is more then just small government at play. It is an across the board lack of digital infrastructure upgrades by many states, for decades.

When your system is mainframe based you cannot take advantage of the horizontal scalability benefits of Azure, GCP or AWS.

It would be a multi year project to recreate the current mainframe based unemployment systems in a modern architecture. An expensive multi year project.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter