Flu Shot Woes

Hey all, I wanted to bring up one the DISboard's famous winter topics: The Flu Vaccine!

I'm not really posting to debate it as I think that's been beaten to death; however, just looking for your experiences with it.

I'm 55 years old and I've never had a flu shot, for various reasons. One, I feel that I am one of those *sensitive* people and I get side effects to everything, so I've never wanted to deal with it and, two, debatable, but I've never overly been convinced it works as well as other vaccines so in my internal benefit/analysis, I have skipped it. I've probably gotten the flu 3 times in my life with the most recent time being in 2016. I was sick for a while but it wasn't the worst thing I'd ever had.

With that said, I am going to Disney in about 2 weeks and will flying and then immersed in the petri dish of humanity for a week during the kick off of the flu season. Already where I live, they think we've had an early start to it so, with that on my mind, I took the plunge and while I was at Target Friday evening, I impulsively asked for a flu shot. One thing that boosted me on was that I got at TdAP shot this summer due to an injury (hadn't had one in 40 years) and I did really well with it--minimal pain, no side effects. For this flu vaccine, I think I did all the wrong things: I had on a tight, pullover that I couldn't roll the sleeve up so I had to pull the shirt down and offer up my shoulder/deltoid (apparently a no-no) and I think the the person giving the shot was higher than me. Honestly, I was so nervous I can't remember. The injection itself was painless and done. I was so proud of myself.

Of course, as the evening wore on, my arm got more sore, but that was expected. By Saturday morning, my arm was REALLY sore and I had joint/body aches pretty much all over. I didn't have a fever on Saturday morning, but by the afternoon, I was up around 99.7 and just feeling like poop. Arm *very* sore--started to fret over the location of the injection. Was it too high? Am I going to get one of those vaccine shoulder injuries (yes I needed some Xanax at this point).

It's now Sunday morning. I woke with a low-grade fever still (around 99.1 on waking and 99.7 in the middle of the night). Usually I'm well below 98.6 in the morning. My arm doesn't seem any worse today for pain, but I think it's a little warm, but not red or swollen.

I guess I'm a little surprised because "googling" says that I really should not have many side effects and, if so, it seems like today they'd be on their way out (I'll be at 48 hours post-shot around 4PM). I've talked to all my friends/parents who get them and no one seems to ever have anything happen so I'm feeling a bit unnerved. I do remember my coworker getting one last year at his physical, coming to work the next day and then having to leave because he felt so bad from his vaccine, but was totally fine the next day.

So, am I having a standard reaction? Anyone else have this or am I just going to be a weirdo as usual and, if so, maybe not do this again!
Vaccines, like any medication, can cause negative side effects in certain people. It's very individual, whether you have a bad reaction or not. Most don't, some do. I have a ton of immune system issues, so I now avoid getting the flu shot. My doctor gives me Tamiflu to take immediately if I ever feel the flu coming on (I've had it before so it's easy to tell: sudden feeling of illness and exhaustion, intense widespread body aches, chills, etc.) It works very well. Fortunately I've only had to take it once in about 3 years.

Last edited:
Well, I guess I overdid it today. Got home from going to a few stores and I was at 100.6. Finally just took some Motrin. I don't think I'm sick with something else. I really have no other symptoms.

Well, I guess I overdid it today. Got home from going to a few stores and I was at 100.6. Finally just took some Motrin. I don't think I'm sick with something else. I really have no other symptoms.
Time to take a nice afternoon nap. Christine. 😴💤
fyi: don't know if anyone else heard this, but I read somewhere that it takes 2 weeks for the vaccine to fully immunize your system
Yes, that is correct.

Reactions: shh
The pharmacist actually told me to try to tough it out without using pain relievers. She showed me a study where ibuprofen and acetaminaphin can dampen the body's immune response to a vaccine so she encouraged me to try to push through any side effects.
Wish the pharmacist mentioned that to me...I had no idea and took 1 ibuprofen twice that first day....

Wish the pharmacist mentioned that to me...I had no idea and took 1 ibuprofen twice that first day....

It seems to apply mainly to children (though I'm not sure if adults were studied or not) but it's not 100% conclusive. I remember hearing about this a few years back but didn't pay much attention since my kids were out of that phase, but I thought it interesting she brought it up.

Luckily, no issues with the flu shot. Maybe a sore arm, but as shots go, it's very mild for me. D/T my asthma history when I was a young adult, my doc offered me the pneumonia vaccine. Since I've never met a vax I didn't like, I went for it. Boy, oh boy! That was rough. While I knew that my body was doing it's job, it was pretty intense. Super sore arm, and the lymph nodes in my arm pit were painful. It lasted a couple of days, and then I was fine. If I didn't have a healthcare background and tended towards a nervous disposition, I would have definitely been scared. When it was my mom's turn, I at least had firsthand experience so she could know what to expect.

Since DH got his transplant, we all get the flu shot. The shot, not the nasal. Both DH and I had super sore arms, and about a week later, we both had a 24 bug (nausea, vomiting, hot flashes, chills, no fever though).

A few days ago, DSoiL#2 noticed a rash on his side, and it started become pustular (is that a word, lol) and hurting yesterday. So he goes to the ER (can't get in to his PCP). He has....shingles! Yep, at the grand old age of 27. He had chicken pox as a child, about age 2 (same as when DD#2 got them, which she promptly shared with me; about 2 weeks before the chicken pox vaccine became available to the public). He had his flu shot about 2 weeks before, nothing to do with shingles, obviously, other than timing. Poor guy.

Sometimes I feel a little under the weather and sometimes I don't but my arm always is sore for a few days....guaranteed for me anyway.

On a side note - I can't remember the last time I used a thermometer. I would have to dig very deep into the closet to check if one of us has a fever. I'm gonna guess that makes us either very lazy or very lucky healthwise.

On a side note - I can't remember the last time I used a thermometer. I would have to dig very deep into the closet to check if one of us has a fever. I'm gonna guess that makes us either very lazy or very lucky healthwise.

I don't have a thermometer either....keep forgetting to get one.

I had my flu shot on Thursday. I had a sore arm for about 24 - 36 hours, but otherwise felt fine. DH has no sore arm. I generally don’t get any reaction to vaccines. However I had the Shingrix vaccine last year and had a low grade fever for about 24 hours, my first reaction ever. Our last visit to WDW I got the worst cold, ending up with pneumonia!

I've got a few!! Whenever I feel "off" I'll check it and oftentimes there is a fever. So probably a lot more people get fevers with this but don't really check.

I had my flu shot on Thursday. I had a sore arm for about 24 - 36 hours, but otherwise felt fine. DH has no sore arm. I generally don’t get any reaction to vaccines. However I had the Shingrix vaccine last year and had a low grade fever for about 24 hours, my first reaction ever. Our last visit to WDW I got the worst cold, ending up with pneumonia!

There’s a shot for that too.

Got my fly shot yesterday and my arm hurt so much all day! Today is better, but still a little tender. No big deal.

First, good for you for getting the vaccine!! You are protecting yourself and vulnerable people around you. I give children flu vaccines weekly as part of my job and it’s not abnormal to have a fever after getting any vaccine. I always tell people that they may get a fever after a vaccine and to treat the fever with Tylenol, your arm may be sore for a few days, you may see redness or a little swelling at the injection site, all of these reactions are ok and not an unexpected reaction to a vaccine. It’s your body having an immune response to the vaccine, and it’s better than having the flu.
I get my flu vaccine every year and I find that I feel a little more tired than normal, and my arm is usually a little sore for a few days.
Good hand washing and flu shots are the best defence while travelling. I also bring antibacterial wipes and hand sanitizer while travelling.

Ramblingmad, I’ve had the pneumonia vaccine, but apparently it’s a different type of pneumonia.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter