Flu Soup Recipe

MommyJKM

DIS Veteran
My best friend's family have all been sick with the flu this week and she asked me to make my "family famous" Flu Tea Soup for them all. They all were better within a day! So I thought I'd share it with everyone - a lot of family members and friends ask me to make it when they have the flu because it genuinely works.

Here's to a Happy and Healthy 2016!

Joy’s Flu Tea Soup

6 cups water

10 lemons

2 onions (preferably red) chopped or sliced

2 cups honey

15 cloves garlic - about 2 heads so you don't have to peel the tiny pieces – peeled and cut into rough chop

2 tablespoons Fresh minced ginger - use a potato peeler to get the skin off. The piece you buy should be about the size of your ring and pinky finger combined

Zest the lemon skins into the water, cut lemons in half and squeeze juice into water (don’t worry about seeds getting in), cut lemons into quarters and place in water.

Bring water to a boil

Add raw onion, raw garlic, ginger and honey. Taste for flavor and add more honey if needed.

Return to a boil and simmer uncovered for 15-20mins until onion and garlic are soft and opaque.

Strain liquid into a bowl using a colander lined with paper towels to catch small pieces of onion/garlic/seeds (or use cheesecloth).

Should make 6 servings to drink once an hour, drink warm and save remaining “tea” in covered container.

*All volume of ingredients are a rough estimate, flavor for your own taste in order to drink happily

Garlic anti-viral, antibiotic, and antiseptic. Garlic oils that give garlic its unmistakable scent are deposited by the bloodstream into the respiratory tract and inhibit cough and cold microbes, as well as being effective decongestants.

Honey is a respiratory tonic, gently improving breathing and known to be antimicrobial to help the immune system fight infection.

Lemon juice reduces and thins mucus, which makes it easier to unclog a stuffed-up respiratory system. It also alters the body's pH, potentially making it less hospitable to viruses and bacteria

Onion – great for coughs and raw onion keeps the respiratory tract open.

Ginger – antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory. In addition to treating cold/flu, ginger is excellent for nausea and vomiting.

Thanks! We had flu shots but you never know if you're going to get sick anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter