Flu Updates - What's going on in your area?

We are in Orange County where flu has hit HARD! My son has been sick since last Thursday. The whole 9: fever, cough, sore throat, vomiting, diarrhea, nasal congestion, fatigue, lack of appetite. I am 99% sure it is flu. I finally took him in today because he has had a fever for 6 days now. Doctor asked if he got the flu shot and I said no. She then said, "it's only about 30% effective this year anyway, so it's not a big deal." She did advise me to bring him back next week to get it so he doesn't get sick with flu again this season. She didn't bother testing him at this point but said there are MANY viruses going around now in addition to flu, so he may not have flu specifically. His lungs were clear but she gave me a Rx to fill if his fever spikes again today (at the office it was 98.0, but the nurse was new and ran the temporal scanner over his forehead super fast, so I don't think that was accurate). Of course now he is sleeping again and his fever is back over 100. So I'll be filling his Rx because I'm not messing around with a secondary infection.

Interestingly, I DID get the flu shot this year. On Saturday night, I awoke at 1am unable to breathe! I could not take a deep breath without severe pain and a feeling like I needed to cough violently. I freaked out and tried to get past it for 30 min before I woke my husband and told him something was wrong. I felt fine otherwise, no fever or anything. I ended up going to the ER because I have never felt that way before and I was worried. After ruling out a heart issue and pulmonary embolism, they gave me a steroid breathing treatment, suspecting bronchospasm due to an inhaled irritant or sudden mucous build up. It helped and I went home. Sunday, I felt awful. Body aches, headache, continued shortness of breath and chest pain, slight fever (99). Yesterday, I started coughing up thick mucous, but was able to take a deep breath again. Today, I feel about 95% fine. I have a coughing spell every once in awhile that brings up gunk. No more body aches or headache. No further symptoms. Based on this trajectory, I suspect my son DOES have the flu and I also caught it, but because I got the shot, I got much milder symptoms.

I've only had a total of six kids out of school this week (I teach 100). I am hearing more are out at the elementary level. I personally know more people who have the flu before than any other year. Myself and my kids have had really bad colds that last forever to get rid of.

It's in our area bad right now NW. We got the flu last year bad (had flu shot for the first time), tested positive. Where everyone we knew dodged the flu last year. So last year, DD was urgent care for extremely high fever of 103/104 we couldn't break. Had to alternate motrin and tylenol every 2 hours for a 12 year old. I ended up with pneumonia and was sick for a total of 3 months with 2 urgent care visits/breathing treatments/steroids/inhaler/meds. I read online it's the same virus as last year's. The last time the flu gave me asthma & pneumonia was in 1998. 2017 was way worse for me.

We did get the virus that goes straight to your chest this season. It's low grade fever of 99, very short lived sore throat (like hours). Feels like a kitty sitting on your chest. Nasty cough/stuffy/running nose. We immediately did vicks chest/neck rub, cold mist machine, Dayquil/Nyquil, lots and lots & lots of fluids, and we have a window cracked for fresh air. We seem to be okay. DS has it now where Me, DH, and DD already got it.

We are in Orange County where flu has hit HARD! My son has been sick since last Thursday. The whole 9: fever, cough, sore throat, vomiting, diarrhea, nasal congestion, fatigue, lack of appetite. I am 99% sure it is flu. I finally took him in today because he has had a fever for 6 days now. Doctor asked if he got the flu shot and I said no. She then said, "it's only about 30% effective this year anyway, so it's not a big deal." She did advise me to bring him back next week to get it so he doesn't get sick with flu again this season. She didn't bother testing him at this point but said there are MANY viruses going around now in addition to flu, so he may not have flu specifically. His lungs were clear but she gave me a Rx to fill if his fever spikes again today (at the office it was 98.0, but the nurse was new and ran the temporal scanner over his forehead super fast, so I don't think that was accurate). Of course now he is sleeping again and his fever is back over 100. So I'll be filling his Rx because I'm not messing around with a secondary infection.

Interestingly, I DID get the flu shot this year. On Saturday night, I awoke at 1am unable to breathe! I could not take a deep breath without severe pain and a feeling like I needed to cough violently. I freaked out and tried to get past it for 30 min before I woke my husband and told him something was wrong. I felt fine otherwise, no fever or anything. I ended up going to the ER because I have never felt that way before and I was worried. After ruling out a heart issue and pulmonary embolism, they gave me a steroid breathing treatment, suspecting bronchospasm due to an inhaled irritant or sudden mucous build up. It helped and I went home. Sunday, I felt awful. Body aches, headache, continued shortness of breath and chest pain, slight fever (99). Yesterday, I started coughing up thick mucous, but was able to take a deep breath again. Today, I feel about 95% fine. I have a coughing spell every once in awhile that brings up gunk. No more body aches or headache. No further symptoms. Based on this trajectory, I suspect my son DOES have the flu and I also caught it, but because I got the shot, I got much milder symptoms.

That is what made me take DD to urgent care, sharp wheezing sounds & severe pain when trying to inhale, I'd never seen her that bad! Thankfully the inhaler has lessened that somewhat, but it is scary!

I think it's interesting the article said that those who contracted the strain last year should have some immunity, but not those who got last years vaccine. This is something I have always felt made sense and caused my hesitation with getting the flu vaccine.

I haven't seen flu activity here yet in my little circle.

This exactly.

It's in our area bad right now NW. We got the flu last year bad (had flu shot for the first time), tested positive. Where everyone we knew dodged the flu last year. So last year, DD was urgent care for extremely high fever of 103/104 we couldn't break. Had to alternate motrin and tylenol every 2 hours for a 12 year old. I ended up with pneumonia and was sick for a total of 3 months with 2 urgent care visits/breathing treatments/steroids/inhaler/meds. I read online it's the same virus as last year's. The last time the flu gave me asthma & pneumonia was in 1998. 2017 was way worse for me.

We did get the virus that goes straight to your chest this season. It's low grade fever of 99, very short lived sore throat (like hours). Feels like a kitty sitting on your chest. Nasty cough/stuffy/running nose. We immediately did vicks chest/neck rub, cold mist machine, Dayquil/Nyquil, lots and lots & lots of fluids, and we have a window cracked for fresh air. We seem to be okay. DS has it now where Me, DH, and DD already got it.
You also have immunity this year from last year.

I think it's interesting the article said that those who contracted the strain last year should have some immunity, but not those who got last years vaccine. This is something I have always felt made sense and caused my hesitation with getting the flu vaccine.

I haven't seen flu activity here yet in my little circle.

So we shouldn't get the flu shot, in the hopes of getting the flu, so that later... we won't get the flu?

We are traveling to DW next week and I read someone else’s thread where they were thinking of canceling. We have a little one too and I am so tempted to cancel. Several folks I know have also had the flu shot and many are still sick with the flu. I scanned this thread and it would be sooo scary if all of us fell sick away from home! Our little one also has food allergies. I get the flu shot every year and am sick every year. Not yet so far but I know I am going to be due to the plane ride if I go :(
You also have immunity this year from last year.

Yes. Though I think my immunity is low - to be getting the flu most years.
My doctor said it was the getting flu part not the shot that gave you immunity.

Yes. Though I think my immunity is low - to be getting the flu most years.
My doctor said it was the getting flu part not the shot that gave you immunity.
Yes, getting the flu gives you great immunity to the particular strain that you get.

The flu vaccine is supposed to give you some immunity to several strains. They have to try and predict which strains to put in there every year. This year I think they were off a bit on what prevalent strain was going to be. There can also be some mutations of the virus during production of the vaccine.

Australia had their flu season before us. I believe their winter was our summer. The prevalent strain in Australia was the H3N2.

Meanwhile, our flu vaccine was already in production for the 2017 flu season.

This has led to some confusion about how effective the flu vaccine is.

In Australia they said that the vaccine they had was only about 10% effective, but that vaccine had been made the year before.

We had the H3N2 as part of our vaccine this year so most experts are saying it should yield an appx 35% effectiveness against that particular strain.

We have to keep in mind that there are various strains out there.

The most serious one seems to be the H3N2.

Last edited:
We are traveling to DW next week and I read someone else’s thread where they were thinking of canceling. We have a little one too and I am so tempted to cancel. Several folks I know have also had the flu shot and many are still sick with the flu. I scanned this thread and it would be sooo scary if all of us fell sick away from home! Our little one also has food allergies. I get the flu shot every year and am sick every year. Not yet so far but I know I am going to be due to the plane ride if I go :(

There are lots of things you can do before getting on the plane to help yourself. First, I read that it's not necessarily a done deal that you will catch the flu on a plane. The air filtration actually provides protection versus being in, say, a regular room with someone. However, if you are seating within a few feet of a contagious person, that's not a good thing.

Take wipes with you and totally wipe down your seat tray and armrests. Make a VERY conscious effort to NOT touch your eyes, nose, or mouth during the flight. I recently read that pre-flight you should coat the inside of your nostrils with either Vaseline or Neosporin. This will keep your nasal passage moist and less likely to attract viruses into dry/porous nasal passages. Wash your hands as often as you can at the airport and when you deplane.

So we shouldn't get the flu shot, in the hopes of getting the flu, so that later... we won't get the flu?

Yes. If you get the flu you get to keep that life long immunity to that strain and similar strains. The flu shot protections last a few months. In the end, those who have contracted several flu viruses in their life may be in the best position to fight off deadly flu strains. It's all a game of weighing risks I guess. I usually opt out of the flu shot.

Update: We kept DS home from school today and probably for the rest of the week. He's very pale, stuffy nose, & coughing. Fever up to 100 and sore throat is back. We looked and it's not crazy red or puss back there. So seems to be cough related. The school is going to have a field day of course. They don't like kids missing days and refuse to believe the reason why. DD got it over Christmas break so she was able to rest. DS is now on bedrest.

Last edited:
It's bad here, but my circle of contacts is past it now; our kids all got sick just before Xmas, because most of them were in a holiday show together, and a couple of the cast members came in sick anyway. It spread like wildfire backstage though the 200 people involved in the show, and most of the kids got sick the day after the last show and recovered just in time for Xmas break to start. DD was ill for over a week, and DH got it, too, but not as severe. I got a scrip for Tamiflu and held it just in case, I started fieeling ill and took it starting 4 days before Christmas, so I dodged the bullet. (I'm allergic to flu vaccines.)

DD and I had the flu this past March as well, but this was undoubtedly a different strain. I'm a bit paranoid about flu now, because my eldest sister died of influenza a year ago; she had had the shot, but was still gone within 72 hours of developing symptoms. I've had it many times, but as I get older I take symptom evaluation much more seriously.

Update: We kept DS home from school today and probably for the rest of the week. He's very pale, stuffy nose, & coughing. Fever up to 100 and sore throat is back. We looked and it's not crazy red or ***** back there. So seems to be cough related. The school is going to have a field day of course. They don't like kids missing days and refuse to believe the reason why. DD got it over Christmas break so she was able to rest. DS is now on bedrest.
It's ridiculous that any school would question an absence this time of year. Almost irresponsible.

SF Bay Area here & it’s been bad here. My sister works in an Oakland hosp and they’re full! An other-wise healthy 40 year-old woman died from the flu in San Jose. A friend had her flu shot, & still got the flu. She was told it would have more severe if she hadn’t gotten the shot.

Most people I know have just been dealing with colds (including me).

My relative passed away from complications from the flu 2 weeks ago. I was a bit nervous when my son crawled into bed with me last night shivering and looking awful, but thankfully we got him in for a pediatrican visit today and it is just strep!
We all get the flu shot in my house. My foster son's social worker keeps canceling his physical appointments, so I need to just bring him to the pharmacy to get it (wasn't an option before, but he just turned 18 so now I can).

And now my oldest has a fever of 101+, has complained of a headache, barely ate anything, and has felt exhausted all day. Child took a nap. Can't remember the last time she did as she's 9.

And I'm terrified for my 5 week old. How in the world do I keep him from getting it if she has the flu? I keep disinfecting everything, wash my hands frequently, keep her away from him, etc. but you know how illness usually goes from family member to family member.

Notursula and Sleepy, so sorry about the passing of your relatives. That’s so sad. May they RIP.

And now my oldest has a fever of 101+, has complained of a headache, barely ate anything, and has felt exhausted all day. Child took a nap. Can't remember the last time she did as she's 9.

And I'm terrified for my 5 week old. How in the world do I keep him from getting it if she has the flu? I keep disinfecting everything, wash my hands frequently, keep her away from him, etc. but you know how illness usually goes from family member to family member.
Ugh. I would do teaching with your 9 year old and just say I know you're not feeling well and I promise I'll be here for you, but it's really important while you're sick that we try to not let the baby get sick since he's so young. Ask her to try to stay in her room as much as possible (make sure she's super comfortable in there and give her tissues, wipes, hand sanitizer, cough drops, visit her carefully yourself, have her wipe down any electronic devices with Lysol wipes daily, etc.) and clean the bathroom after she uses it, change the towel she uses frequently, don't touch her dirty clothes, let her shower daily if she's up to it and put on fresh clothes, etc. That might be your best bet, to continue to keep them apart. As much as I'm sure your DD loves the baby, I'd probably ask that she doesn't touch her right now, but you can let them see eachother from a distance as long as your DD isn't sneezing, coughing, blowing nose, etc. (See video of sneeze posted a couple of pages back.) It sounds extreme, but if you want to keep your baby from catching it, it may be necessary. But with all that said, I believe the baby should still have some of your immunity, correct? This is such a tough time of year for families with young children.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter