Flu Vaccination - Yes or No?

Anyone else get sick the day after getting the flu shot? I do every year.

It's part of our health insurance available at work (next week I think.) So I'll be sick next week, then good the rest of the year.
Me, I got the flu shot and came down with a cold. It’s not a cause and effect, I understand, but it happened.

Plus the shot did not prevent me from getting the flu last year.

Plus the shot did not prevent me from getting the flu last year.
Last year's shot was only like 44% effective. It didn't have the actual flu virus in it that wound up being the predominate one. It's a guessing game, as they can only include 4 or 5 strains in the shot, and they have to guess which strains are going to be the problem ones over a year ahead of time.

Me, no as I have bad reactions to them and get sick every time. If I don't get one, the worst that happens is I get the flu.

My wife is a type 1 diabetic and a nurse so she has to.

My kids will get theirs so long as they have no adverse reactions.

My son and I got it. So did grandma. My hubby still needs to get it but he plans on it!

yes. Daughter has a heart defect. We are all required to get flu shots. I am also the anti-antivaxxer. If a legit vaccine exists, we will take it. I am all for protection. I never want to have to say "what if."

Hello fellow anti-antivaxxer! :cheer2:

Yes, getting the flu shot next week and taking my daughter tonight. I do it mostly to protect anyone around me who can't get the shot, or anyone who is more at risk of getting seriously ill if they get the flu. And if it keeps me from getting sick (or getting as sick) then Bonus!

Get it every year now. I got the flu back in 1988 and I'll tell you, I thought I was going to die. Took me 2+ weeks to get over it. I'd hate to get it again now that I'm in my 60's as it was rough enough in my 30"s. My wife got it in the late 1990's and wound up hospitalized.

I didn’t get one last year for the first time in 20 years. Of course I got the flu and I couldn’t believe how sick I was so I will definitely get one.

Terri

Nope. The last time we got the flu shot was 2009 and the shot didn't cover the right strain. We all got the H1N1 flu and my 4 year old and I both ended up with pneumonia. The shot is a waste.

Yes, based on the recommendations this year, I had my whole household get theirs last month, including me. I have to get vaccinated for work, but I got mine at WalMart before ours were even available at work (and had one of the nicest pharmacists I've ever encountered anywhere).

Many healthy people died from influenza last year and a large percentage had not been vaccinated. We know being vaccinated lessens sequelae if you do get it. A few years ago I cared for a previously healthy patient in his 50s who came very close to dying of influenza. What it did to his body was shocking and tragic - failed organs from sepsis and unable to walk, speak or swallow; not sure if those were recoverable. I was sad thinking of how he would be unable to work and how many obstacles he'd have to overcome, etc. He had not been vaccinated.

I read this morning that the US's first child has died of influenza. I believe I read in the last week or two, too, that at least one adult has died from it, as well. Once it hits your area, it leaves those not prepared very vulnerable.

In case anyone wanted to review this year's recommendations:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/that-time-of-year-again-2018-19-influenza-recommendations.3705006/

I get the flu shot every year now. Unfortunately last year I still got the influenza (was diagnosed with one of those gawd awful nose swabs at the ER last Dec). However it was not as bad as it was a few years ago when I didn't get the flu shot.

I have gotten a flu shot every year since I worked in an office (otherwise known as Germ Central). I was a floater, which meant that I worked at a different desk or area each day. One week, I sat at the desk of someone who was out with the flu and never gave a thought to wiping down the phone or the computer keyboard or her desk in general. The next week, I had the worst flu of my life, I mean it was at the very least the Martian Death Flu. I was sick for two weeks and felt weakened for another two. Never again will I miss a shot. See my sig? That's exactly what I looked like.

I'm in healthcare, so I get mine at work. DH can get his at work, but sometimes he gets lazy and misses the opportunity.
DD is at college, she gets hers at Walgreens (covered by our insurance). DS is in the military, I assume he will be getting one also.

I’ve never had one and neither have my three kids. My husband has had to get them through work because as part of his job he sometimes enters seniors homes and hey require it.

I never get sick. I’ve been at my job fours and come into contact with hundreds of people everyday and have three kids working and in school. I must have a good immune system because I have not had to use a sick day yet.

Question (and I haven't thought about this for years): Are routine childhood immunizations still offered at schools? I know that's where I got most of mine (in the 70's-80's in a remote, rural location). I honestly don't remember if DS had shots in school (he's 22). :confused3
Our schools offer a couple immunization clinics a year, but if you have insurance you are not eligible for the free shots. They will bill your insurance company for them. My daughter was due for a couple shots so I was going to take advantage, but found out our insurance was one of the few that didn't use the contracted immunization provider, so not covered there. We went to the doctor's office instead and our insurance company ended up paying around $400 for the series of 2 Meningitis B vaccines.

I'm planning to get one soon. Any health plan that is ACA compliant should be covering them 100% as preventive care. It's one of the few things not subject to our massive deductible, so I still go.

I suppose it's possible what I had a few weeks back might have been the flu already. I didn't get swabbed (since that would have been subject to the deductible). But I'll get the shot still, just in case.

Question (and I haven't thought about this for years): Are routine childhood immunizations still offered at schools? I know that's where I got most of mine (in the 70's-80's in a remote, rural location). I honestly don't remember if DS had shots in school (he's 22). :confused3

They are here in BC. At least in our area anyway.

To the flu vaccine question...the one year I got the shot was the only year I got sick so I don’t get it anymore. Maybe it was just a coincidence but I’ve been healthy without it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter