• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flu Vaccination - Yes or No?

Not for me. Got the flu shot once and it will be a never again for me. I'll spare you the details. I'm up to date on my tetanus/whopping cough which most adults are not. So for me, it's lots of hand washing, H2O, healthy diet, gloves in public, & vitamin C for me.

Research elderberry & its flu-fighting properties.

We took elderberry all last flu season &, thankfully, did not get the flu. I don't know if that was just coincidental or not... but there are some scientific studies out there that support the use of elderberry.

Last year, we didn't get flu shots, but, this year, in addition to our flu shots, we plan to take elderberry again. If I couldn't have the flu shot, I'd definitely be taking elderberry. If you can find elderberry syrup made w/ local honey, it's even better.

I will look into this- thanks!

If you’re afraid of needles then ask around for Flu Mist. It’s back this year.

Were with your friend never get the shot don't believe in it and we all never had the flu....DD's are school aged well now one DD is in college, wife and I deal with general public for our jobs so we
are out there in the public. My advice is to wash your hands (don't tell me you do because at the airports or in Disney restrooms I see tons of people never washing their hands) and don't put them in your mouth.

This is bad advise because the flu is an aerosolized virus. When someone who has the flu coughs they spray the flu into the air. This means you can catch the flu by breathing in those droplets. You should practice good hygiene but that’s not enough to complete prevent yourself from catching the flu.

The best guide to the flu in the US is the CDC guide: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/index.htm

It details all of the versions of the vaccine offered this year, how bad they think the flu will be, etc.

This is bad advise because the flu is an aerosolized virus. When someone who has the flu coughs they spray the flu into the air. This means you can catch the flu by breathing in those droplets. You should practice good hygiene but that’s not enough to complete prevent yourself from catching the flu.

The best guide to the flu in the US is the CDC guide: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/index.htm

It details all of the versions of the vaccine offered this year, how bad they think the flu will be, etc.
::yes:: Agree that hand-washing, while important, is much more effective in avoiding gastrointestinal bacteria and viruses than the flu.

The kids and I had not gotten the flu shot in six years. We have not had the flu. We even traveled for nine weeks across the US during the height of the flu season last year. However we took lots of natural preventative stuff. This year we are flying in November and visiting my parents who are in their 70s, so we all got the vaccine. Here’s hoping for the best!

I do respect your opinion and if you want to get a flu shot by all means do it but don't say my advice is bad just because you don't agree with it. Understand that there are 144 strains of the flu and the vaccine only covers 3 to 4 of the most "common" ones to humans that the CDC thinks will be common for the up coming flu season. The only way the vaccine works is if the strain is the same exact as the vaccine that you were given. Its not an exact science and every year as the flu season progresses we hear about how a new strain is out there and the flu shot everyone was given is not effective...example last winter. For those who think there is no side effect, here is what the CDC states on their website:
Do flu vaccines cause any side effects?
Like any medical product, vaccines can cause side effects. Side effects of the flu vaccine are generally mild and go away on their own within a few days.

Common side effects from the flu shot include:
  • Soreness, redness, and/or swelling from the shot
  • Headache
  • Fever
  • Nausea
  • Muscle aches
The flu shot, like other injections, can occasionally cause fainting.

So again I'm in my 50's and have never had the flu shot or the flu, deal with the general public everyday for my job so its either I'm one lucky S++B or you guys have weak immune systems and/or just around people who are always sick.

I would love to say no thank you to the vaccine but my employers require it if I want to keep my job. My husband and kids do not get it. I agree with the people touting the elderberry immune boost. Last year one of my daughters had a virus and it lasted just a couple days with elderberry syrup and lozenges. I just sent my college freshman a supply of elderberry gummies to help her get rid of an awful cold. I also sent her an essential oil diffuser and some theives oil. Lots of new trends to try and kick illnesses. I hope everyone avoids the flu this year, whether you got the shot or not!

I do respect your opinion and if you want to get a flu shot by all means do it but don't say my advice is bad just because you don't agree with it. Understand that there are 144 strains of the flu and the vaccine only covers 3 to 4 of the most "common" ones to humans that the CDC thinks will be common for the up coming flu season. The only way the vaccine works is if the strain is the same exact as the vaccine that you were given. Its not an exact science and every year as the flu season progresses we hear about how a new strain is out there and the flu shot everyone was given is not effective...example last winter. For those who think there is no side effect, here is what the CDC states on their website:
Do flu vaccines cause any side effects?
Like any medical product, vaccines can cause side effects. Side effects of the flu vaccine are generally mild and go away on their own within a few days.

Common side effects from the flu shot include:
  • Soreness, redness, and/or swelling from the shot
  • Headache
  • Fever
  • Nausea
  • Muscle aches
The flu shot, like other injections, can occasionally cause fainting.

So again I'm in my 50's and have never had the flu shot or the flu, deal with the general public everyday for my job so its either I'm one lucky S++B or you guys have weak immune systems and/or just around people who are always sick.

You are welcome to your own opinion, but not your own facts. Instead of reiterating them, I'll refer you back to the many posts on this thread that explain why "only" including a few strains still makes it worthwhile. I will also note that the side effects listed are, for most people, nothing more than an inconvenience that is worth it considering the number of people who legitimately cannot get vaccinated.

You are welcome to your own opinion, but not your own facts. Instead of reiterating them, I'll refer you back to the many posts on this thread that explain why "only" including a few strains still makes it worthwhile. I will also note that the side effects listed are, for most people, nothing more than an inconvenience that is worth it considering the number of people who legitimately cannot get vaccinated.

Their not my "opinions" all the facts that I stated on my post come off the CDC's website. Reading past the first page on CDC's website would educate people on the flu and the vaccine. If you read it correctly the CDC "recommends"
an annual flu vaccine its not mandatory. If the vaccine was perfect it would be mandatory but its not. People recommend things all the time but that doesn't mean its right or just. I never said in any of my posts for people not to get a flu vaccine its just not for us.

Their not my "opinions" all the facts that I stated on my post come off the CDC's website. Reading past the first page on CDC's website would educate people on the flu and the vaccine. If you read it correctly the CDC "recommends"
an annual flu vaccine its not mandatory. If the vaccine was perfect it would be mandatory but its not. People recommend things all the time but that doesn't mean its right or just. I never said in any of my posts for people not to get a flu vaccine its just not for us.

You're arguing points that don't have anything to do with your opinion. Nobody said that there aren't side effects. Nobody said that the shot is mandatory or that it's 100% effective. You don't bolster your opinion when you make up things and use unrelated facts to attempt to debate those or other points. I'm done discussing this with someone so uninformed.

I do respect your opinion and if you want to get a flu shot by all means do it but don't say my advice is bad just because you don't agree with it..

My assertion that hand washing isn't enough isn't an opinion; it's fact. According to the CDC's website:

"People with flu can spread it to others up to about 6 feet away. Most experts think that flu viruses spread mainly by droplets made when people with flu cough, sneeze or talk. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. Less often, a person might get flu by touching a surface or object that has flu virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes."

You cherry picked from the CDC website but apparently, you didn't read the entire website about the flu. Spreading incorrect medical information is dangerous and harmful.

Yes, we get flu shots most years. I have access to a free flu shot through work, but I choose not to get it at work because I like to get mine with my kids, set a good example for them, you know? But it's such a pain to get flu shots for kids, the only place I can take my youngest is her PCP because no one else wants to give a young kid a shot. I called 2 different urgent cares on Friday after work, both give flu shots but one said they didn't have any kids' shots, the other one said that they don't give flu shots to kids my daughter's age. So I have to go to the PCP the one night that they have their flu shot clinic and wait for a long time in a waiting room crowded with scared, crying kids.

Research elderberry & its flu-fighting properties.

We took elderberry all last flu season &, thankfully, did not get the flu. I don't know if that was just coincidental or not... but there are some scientific studies out there that support the use of elderberry.

Last year, we didn't get flu shots, but, this year, in addition to our flu shots, we plan to take elderberry again. If I couldn't have the flu shot, I'd definitely be taking elderberry. If you can find elderberry syrup made w/ local honey, it's even better.
I have asthma too, and I found out that I'm not supposed to take elderberry. I can't speak for Mermaid 02, but I am on an asthma controller med plus an inhaled steroid, the controller meds suppress the immune system (because asthma is an immune reaction) so things like elderberry that are supposed to boost immunity don't work on those of us with asthma because we don't want our immune reactions to be stronger. I bought elderberry last year a few months before our Disney World trip in March because it was a bad flu season and I was worried about one of us getting sick before or during vacation and then I wasn't able to take any, i just gave it to my kids. I think it must have worked well for them, I don't remember them getting sick as often last winter.

Yes we get one every year. I "try" to get my kids to get one too. DS 22 is NOT a fan of needles so he is a hard sell. DD20 gets hers yearly. We have Kaiser and they have nurses set up at stations near the doors at all their facilities, at least those near us, so you can get one free and no appt needed. I have severe lung disease so need to get one for myself but my job requires it as well.

DH went ahead and got one today. He's got a surgery coming up on Tuesday and apparently when they called with the pre-op preparation instructions, they said he "had" to have one prior to being checked into the hospital. I'm not sure how imperative it actually is; if they would turn him away with out it. He's taking his documentation with him just in case. :scratchin (Point of interest - he says his arm doesn't hurt. We'll see as time goes on. Mine was the most sore on the morning of the 2nd day.)

I will look into this- thanks!
If you take a daily asthma controller medication your doctor may advise against elderberry and other immune supporting remedies. I have asthma flares frequently and my doctor told me not to take elderberry.

A little OT, but I'm interested in elderberry. I got a nasty cold after travelling a month ago and just can't kick the chest and sinus congestion. I think trying elderberry is a great option since I'm totally over taking decongestants. Will anybody recommend a favorite brand?

I have asthma too, and I found out that I'm not supposed to take elderberry. I can't speak for Mermaid 02, but I am on an asthma controller med plus an inhaled steroid, the controller meds suppress the immune system (because asthma is an immune reaction) so things like elderberry that are supposed to boost immunity don't work on those of us with asthma because we don't want our immune reactions to be stronger. I bought elderberry last year a few months before our Disney World trip in March because it was a bad flu season and I was worried about one of us getting sick before or during vacation and then I wasn't able to take any, i just gave it to my kids. I think it must have worked well for them, I don't remember them getting sick as often last winter.

That's interesting! I did not know... thank you for the additional information!

A little OT, but I'm interested in elderberry. I got a nasty cold after travelling a month ago and just can't kick the chest and sinus congestion. I think trying elderberry is a great option since I'm totally over taking decongestants. Will anybody recommend a favorite brand?

This is what we use:

https://www.amazon.com/Sambucus-Elderberry-Supplements-Vegetarian-Packaging/dp/B00MJ7VL1O/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1540083888&sr=1-4&keywords=elderberry+gummies

However, during the height of flu season, I also buy homemade elderberry syrup from a lady in our community. She makes hers w/ black elderberries & local honey. The local honey is supposed to be particularly beneficial.

I've heard that making elderberry syrup is pretty easy, & I've thought about trying to make my own. It's easier, though, to just buy it!

Yes, we get flu shots most years. I have access to a free flu shot through work, but I choose not to get it at work because I like to get mine with my kids, set a good example for them, you know? But it's such a pain to get flu shots for kids, the only place I can take my youngest is her PCP because no one else wants to give a young kid a shot. I called 2 different urgent cares on Friday after work, both give flu shots but one said they didn't have any kids' shots, the other one said that they don't give flu shots to kids my daughter's age. So I have to go to the PCP the one night that they have their flu shot clinic and wait for a long time in a waiting room crowded with scared, crying kids.

I love that you do it together! I always end up doing DDs at the pediatrician (because they get it done so fast and are used to dealing with kids) & I end up getting mine elsewhere. Last year I taped it on my phone as I got the shot so I could show her I get mine too. I don't know of it helped or not. :rotfl2:

I don’t get it for free, but it’s only around $10. I hadn’t had it until a couple of years ago when my mum started working at a pharmacy that offers them (funnily enough we had both previously worked in a pharmacy together and our boss never even encouraged us to get them!). It’s quick, easy and relatively painless and a good idea to help protect those whose immune systems are compromised. Last year a lot of people here died from the flu, including young, healthy people, so it’s now a must for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter