Flying fish new menu

francie

DIS Veteran
hi, has anyone tried the crispy oysters or the rack of lamb from the new flying fish menu?

Sorry it took me longer than I expected to finish this! Life got in the way. Final review!

Flying Fish

Everyone in my group really likes the Flying Fish, and we knew we wanted to end our trip with Illuminations, so we booked an early dinner here.

We started with some appetizers to share.

Chef's Daily Crudo Offering: Ahi Tuna, Caper, Blue Lavender, Black Cyprus Sea Salt $10

The tuna was incredibly fresh and the salt really made the flavors pop.

Crispy Virginia Oysters,
Flying Fish Roe, Sea Beans, Lotus Root $13

Fantastic! The oysters were perfectly fried, not at all greasy, and the sea beans added a saline snap that worked really well. I also want to mention that my nephew with the crustacean allergy loves fried oysters, and the chef agreed to make him his own plate that he cooked in a separate pan rather than in the fryer to avoid cross contamination. That was incredibly kind, as we did not ask him to do that. The (excellent) waiter overheard us talking about his love of oysters and took the initiative to see if the chef could accommodate him.

My nephew also had an Endive and Frisée Salad: Poached Pear, Varietal Oranges, Pistachio, Goat Cheese, Walnut Vinaigrette $12

After eating the oysters and salad he decided to skip a full entree and ordered a cheese plate for his entree $22:

Too much time has passed for me to remember what they were, but all were devoured.

On to the entrees. My niece ordered a steak: New York Strip Hickory Char-crust served with your choice of Asparagus, Mushrooms, Celeriac Risotto, and Grand Marnier-Black Truffle Sauce or Roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Haricot Vert, and Sauce Foyot $44

The waiter recommended that she get it with the house special spice coating. I think she would have preferred it without. I don't eat red meat so did not taste it, but I think it was a bit too peppery for her. The meat was perfectly cooked medium rare, and she ate quite a bit of it.

My sister ordered the Pumpkin Swordfish, Florida Coast served with your choice of Harvest Vegetable Mélange and Potato Beurre Blanc or Leek Fondue and Cassis-Red Wine Sauce $42

As you can see from the photo she chose the potato beurre blanc. I've had that treatment before and find it a little bland. She agreed. The vegetables were perfectly cooked, as was the fish (though the cut was thinner than she prefers).

My brother in law chose the Mahi-Mahi, Caribbean Seas served with your choice of Harvest Vegetable Mélange with a Potato Beurre Blanc or Leek Fondue with a Cassis-Red Wine Sauce $34

He also chose the potato buerre blanc, and enjoyed it much more than my sister. The mahi was delicious.

My husband also chose the mahi, but with the leek fondue and cassis red wine sauce

This is the same sauce and vegetable that used to come with the potato wrapped snapper. It's not on the menu, but it's important to note that the cassis red wine sauce is a veal based sauce, if that matters to you. I double checked that this was still the case since I don't eat veal, and it is still made that way. My husband enjoyed this immensely, and ate the entire plate!

My friend chose the Skuna Bay Salmon Antebellum White Grits, Shishito, Cilantro-Cumin Sauce $39

He loved this dish! The grits were incredibly rich and the salmon was perfectly cooked.

Finally, I chose the Hokkaido Scallop Garganelli Pasta Key West Pink Shrimp, Savory Tomato Sauce, Artichokes, Braised Fennel $48

This was perfection on a plate! As you can see I asked them to omit the shrimp in deference to my nephew's allergy. I did not miss them at all. The scallops were so sweet and tender, there was not an overwhelming amount of pasta, and the sauce was so delicious! I think it might have been a blend of tomatoes and roasted peppers. My husband nicked a scallop and some of the sauce and agreed that it might have been the best dish of the night.

On to dessert! Well, for two people, anyway. Only my niece and my friend thought they could manage a dessert.

My niece chose Blueberries, Limes, and Sea Shells: Mascarpone Cream, Blueberry-Lime Compote, Hibiscus Meringue, Rye Bourbon Caramel $9

It was devoured so quickly that I did not get a taste.

My friend went with the show-stopping Under the Sea: Valrhona Chocolate, Chocolate Coral Sponge, Pistachio Sand, Dehydrated Milk Foam, Tasting of Three Sea Salts $12

We were all wowed by the appearance of this dessert. It looks like a little coral reef! I thought the taste was out of this world, and I don't usually even like chocolate!

And with that, our visit to Disney concludes until next time. Thanks for reading along! :-)

I LOVED it when we went last July. But they have, since, taken the dish off of the menu. We ordered the lobster with Nero pasta. Apparently they don't serve it with lobster anymore. And that's too bad. It was INCREDIBLE!! We ordered the pork belly appetizer. OMG! It was delicious.

I had a drink (Maple Bacon Manhattan) and an appetizer (Pork Belly) at the bar and conversed with other guests and the bartender. One of the other patrons ordered the fried oysters, and he and the bartender raved about the dish. Said the oysters were creamy and delicious with a light and crispy coating. They looked crazy good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter