• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flying for the 1st time in years...Will I fit???

PrincessSarah314

Mouseketeer
I've heard the horror stories of being told to buy 2 seats etc.

I'm a size 28. Will I fit in 1 seat?

I'm going with my bf and really don't want either one of us to be embarassed if we run across the fat police.

Does anyone know how big the seats really are on an airplane?

What if the seatbelt doesn't fit?

I've only flown once in my life and it was years ago because I'm terrified of flying. This flight is stressful enough but my weight issues are definitely adding to my anxiety!!!

Yes--you will fit, but as you board the plane, quietly ask the attendant for a seatbelt extender. You may not need it, but it will make you more comfortable. S/he should be very discreet so you need not be embarrassed.

Seat sizes vary slightly by airline and plane. I can tell you that the actual seat part is usually around 18" wide because my wheelchair cushion generally fits it close to exactly. That doesn't mean if you're wider you won't fit, just that that's how much space you're 'supposed' to fit in. Some of it will depend on body shape.

As far as needing to pay for a second seat, I'm not going to say it won't happen because it definitely does happen and I don't have a clue at what size people tend to have problems.. I'd look through the websites of the airline you're flying if you've already booked or at the airlines you might fly with if you haven't booked yet. I think just about all of them do have a clause saying that they can require someone to pay for an extra seat if someone doesn't fit in one seat with the arms pulled down, but it's not consistently done as far as I know.

Other than asking for the seatbelt extender, I'd suggest trying to get a sense of what flights might be less full if you haven't already booked your tickets. Airlines aren't going to provide that info (since their goal is to fill all their flights as much as possible), but I suspect there are websites that track trends. That way you can maybe get a row that's just you and your bf with either no other seats or a seat between you or something.

Yes--you will fit, but as you board the plane, quietly ask the attendant for a seatbelt extender. You may not need it, but it will make you more comfortable. S/he should be very discreet so you need not be embarrassed.

Okay, I will definitely ask for a seatbelt extender. Is there a charge for those? Do all airlines have them for their passengers? Do they ever not have them or not have enough?

Seat sizes vary slightly by airline and plane. I can tell you that the actual seat part is usually around 18" wide because my wheelchair cushion generally fits it close to exactly. That doesn't mean if you're wider you won't fit, just that that's how much space you're 'supposed' to fit in. Some of it will depend on body shape.

As far as needing to pay for a second seat, I'm not going to say it won't happen because it definitely does happen and I don't have a clue at what size people tend to have problems.. I'd look through the websites of the airline you're flying if you've already booked or at the airlines you might fly with if you haven't booked yet. I think just about all of them do have a clause saying that they can require someone to pay for an extra seat if someone doesn't fit in one seat with the arms pulled down, but it's not consistently done as far as I know.

Other than asking for the seatbelt extender, I'd suggest trying to get a sense of what flights might be less full if you haven't already booked your tickets. Airlines aren't going to provide that info (since their goal is to fill all their flights as much as possible), but I suspect there are websites that track trends. That way you can maybe get a row that's just you and your bf with either no other seats or a seat between you or something.

I'm sure I'm probably wider than 18" but then again I'm bad at estimating things! :rotfl2:

I think we're going to try taking an early flight. The bf said he loves leaving early, getting to the airport around 4am for trips. Hopefully that means the flight won't be as full as one at say 4pm.:confused3

You will probaby fit. For precise dimensions, check out Seat Guru. If you have reservations, you can pick your airline and type of jet to get a chart showing which seats are better and which are worse. They will also give the width of the seats and the pitch (distance from the back of one seat to the back of the next).

If you don't have tickets yet, check out their comparison charts. It gives the width and pitch of seats on all the airlines/jets so you can look for the widest. American short haul jets tend to be around 17", with some as low as 16 1/2" and some up to 18". It may help you choose an airline.

One general rule -- you don't want the first row of seats behind a bulkhead. Since there is no seat back in front, the tray table folds down beside your seat and those seats are noticibly narrower. In some cases, that is true of exit row seats as well. Seat Guru will warn you about that.

I'll second the previous posts, especially the one about bulk head seats and the tray tables. I am size 22/24 and I can barely manage those tables that fold out of the arm rest. Also, the tables in the arm also mean that the arm rests are not moveable. On our last flight, (a few weeks ago) as soon as we got to our seats, we moved the arm rest back, which also makes napping against my hubby easier :love:. Depending on the size of your significant other (ie if both of you are "Winnie the Pooh" sized, you may need the second seat for comfort.

I would also suggest asking for preboarding if you feel especially self-concious. You'll be able to board in a smaller group and can be settled and get your belt extender without interrupting others.

My advice is to go ahead and get the extra seat. Most airlines will refund this after the flight if the flight is not full. One less thing to worry about.

When we debated seat widths and Moms comfort last year when we were taking her to visit her brother we came up with the lawn chair test.I use a narrow wheelchair so my chair width would not help deciding what would work for Mom.We measured lawn chairs at Target(some say on the lable the size but not all) then brought Mom over to see the narrowest she could fit into without discomfort.

When we debated seat widths and Moms comfort last year when we were taking her to visit her brother we came up with the lawn chair test.I use a narrow wheelchair so my chair width would not help deciding what would work for Mom.We measured lawn chairs at Target(some say on the lable the size but not all) then brought Mom over to see the narrowest she could fit into without discomfort.

That's really smart!

I just wanted her to not have to worry about it on the trip.Mom also has issues with chair being too low.I put a piece of duct tape on her rollator at the height of the lowest seat height she can get up from without help.

My DMIL needed a wide wheelchair, so you can imagine "regular" airline seats were uncomfortable. The only time it was "suggested" that she needed a 2nd seat was when she wore a billowing light-colored caftan. We seated her next to a skinny great-grand kid with the seat arm raised and a seatbelt extender, and everyone was comfortable. The flight attendants watched carefully to make sure we could seat three across then didn't say anything else.

You might want to wear something clingy like black spandex to "minimize" the appearance of your assets.

I am a size 26 and fit fine without the seatbelt extender. We like to fly Jet Blue. Also the arm rests between seats fold up and give you more spread room...you should be fine. Southwest is the airline that I have heard wants you to buy an extra seat and they charge you to pick your seat ahead of time. Also think aisle seat as you can lean over into the aisle.

We seated her next to a skinny great-grand kid with the seat arm raised and a seatbelt extender,

Be aware that arm rests are supposed to be down for take-off and landing. Also the airlines define fitting in your seat as being able to fit with the arm rests down. I suppose it depends on your flight attendant if this is enforced or not.

Foe example: here is United's "passengers requiring extra space policy":

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,52985,00.html

For the comfort and well-being of all customers aboard United flights, we have aligned with other major airlines' seating policies relating to passengers who:

* are unable to fit into a single seat in the ticketed cabin;
* are unable to properly buckle the seatbelt using a single seatbelt extender; and/or
* are unable to put the seat's armrests down when seated.

Also think aisle seat as you can lean over into the aisle.

And be bashed by every cart or person who walks by? If you are protuding into the aisle, I cannot imagine that a flight attendant is not going to do something about this, if only for the safety issue.

Southwest is the airline that I have heard wants you to buy an extra seat and they charge you to pick your seat ahead of time.

All airlines have a person of size policy, not just Southwest. Southwest Airlines doesn't assign any seats; they board in groups and it's first come, first served. You must be thinking of their program called Early Bird Check-in (EBCI), where you can pay $10 per ticket to have SWA check you in 36 hours before flight time. It is completely optional.

OP - Check your airline's web site for specific information about passengers of size; it's usually located in the "special needs" section. You might want to consider buying a business class seat if it is cheaper than 2 economy tickets.

Southwest is the airline that I have heard wants you to buy an extra seat and they charge you to pick your seat ahead of time.

If you buy a second seat then you'll pre-board since you're guaranteed seats together. No need to pay for EBCI if you're buying 2 seats under their guests of size policy.

You don't actually pick your seat ahead of time on SWA. They have open seating.

I am a size 26 and fit fine without the seatbelt extender. We like to fly Jet Blue. Also the arm rests between seats fold up and give you more spread room...you should be fine. Southwest is the airline that I have heard wants you to buy an extra seat and they charge you to pick your seat ahead of time. Also think aisle seat as you can lean over into the aisle.

Just be aware that many passengers will insist that the armrest between you and them be down. This advice is really only good if the person next to you is a relative/friend.

Just be aware that many passengers will insist that the armrest between you and them be down.

Please see my post (#16) above. It is a requirement not only that a passenger fits in the seat with the armrest down, the armrest must be down for takeoff and landing.

I got a question, If you buy an extra seat does that mean you get the extra baggage allotment that goes with that extra seat?:idea:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter