Flying from Miami after PC Cruise

Dreams&wishes

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone,

I need your help. We are trying to get to LA after our DC but the flights from Orlando are few and far between. There are more flights from Miami plus we could use our frequent flyer points.

We have a flight back to Australia the day after our DC so we don't have any time to hang around, and we are not keen on connecting flights.

Do you think I'm totally mad to consider driving to Miami after the cruise? The flight would bring us to LA earlier than the flight from MCO.
Thanks

It's 3 hours, but if that helps get you to LA and your flight home why not and it sounds like it would save a few bucks.

Hello everyone,

I need your help. We are trying to get to LA after our DC but the flights from Orlando are few and far between. There are more flights from Miami plus we could use our frequent flyer points.

We have a flight back to Australia the day after our DC so we don't have any time to hang around, and we are not keen on connecting flights.

Do you think I'm totally mad to consider driving to Miami after the cruise? The flight would bring us to LA earlier than the flight from MCO.
Thanks

I would do it if needed, as long as I had plenty of padding for hitting traffic. I don't want to offend my Florida friends, but some Florida drivers are the worst I have been around for some reason. But I don't hesitate to drive there when we go. So just be alert and drive defensively.

"Few and far between?" Orlando to Los Angeles has nine flights daily -- Delta (4), American (2), United (2) and JetBlue (1). Miami has eight to nine -- American (6 to 7), Delta (1) and JetBlue (1 but ends soon). Or is it you're focusing on specific flights you can redeem your points on?

It's not a crazy idea, but make sure to allot yourself plenty of time for the unexpected (traffic jams, accidents, etc.). Plus, it's about 30 minutes extra to get from the consolidated car rental facility at MIA into the AA terminal.

The ship arrival is 7.30am. The flight we are looking at departs at around 5pm.

Is this enough time?
What about sea legs would we be able to drive?
Thank you

The ship arrival is 7.30am. The flight we are looking at departs at around 5pm.

Is this enough time?
What about sea legs would we be able to drive?
Thank you
Plenty of time since you will have the car by 8:30/9:00 and arrive at Miami airport by 1:30 including a lunch stop. Unless you are very sensitive to motion you will not have any issues driving once you get off the ship. Just remember we drive on the right....which is right... :rotfl2:

We've done that drive a couple of times, it's really not that bad and I don't think Florida drivers are any worse than any other of the busy states. Sounds exhausting to drive to MIA, fly to LAX and then do a long haul flight to Australia the next day, but if you all are used to that and that's what you need to do to make your plans work, it's totally doable.

Flying on points does change things - guessing you are limited to American Airlines (Miami being one of their hubs).

As for the idea of getting off the ship and driving to Miami, it sounds reasonable with a late afternoon flight from MIA.

Sea legs? I think I may have had sea legs after a cruise - but that was only stability in walking. I have dealt with the nausea of seasickness many times - while the ship was rocking.

No matter how you do it, it’s a long day. If the idea of driving - to catch your preferred flight - is better than waiting for hours at the Orlando airport, you do have enough of a time cushion if you run into traffic.

Many car rental agencies have pickup by the ship.

What car hire company do you suggest? Are there any must stops on the way to Miami?
I used Hertz in the past; that location closed. Avis worked for me; I had no issues with the shuttle.

I haven’t had a rental car in a while, but the upswing in travelers has led to reports of cars not being ready and available in many locations (I am not saying this one specifically).

Even in the past, I booked with Hertz and Avis with a loyalty number, often bypassing a check-in line.

Hoping someone will weigh in on Rental Car Pickup After PC Cruise.

We re currently looking at United vs Delta flights which one is a better airline? Do they have screens to watch movies on?

We re currently looking at United vs Delta flights which one is a better airline? Do they have screens to watch movies on?
I can only speak for Delta in this instance, as I am a contractor for them... But yes, for the type aircraft you will fly from "x" airport in Florida to LAX, there will be screens with both TV and a wide selection of movies... Also most likely you could also have free internet if you are a Delta SkyMiles member. If you're not a member, then you can sign up for free... you don't have to have any sort of status with them to have this service.

I'm also puzzled that you are not seeing that many direct flights from MCO to LAX... Delta has several, as I'm sure other airlines do as well. You could also check TPA (Tampa) to see what they have.

What car hire company do you suggest? Are there any must stops on the way to Miami?
Rental car pickup after a PC cruise is different from doing an airport pickup. For one thing, they don’t really have any special pickup options for members of their affinity programs, like Alamo Insider or Budget Fastbreak. Cannot speak to Avis or Hertz in this regard, since we’ve only used hose two at their port locations.

Each of the major rental car companies has a shuttle from the port to their nearby rental center, typically a 10 minute or so drive from the port. The main issue in our experience is the number of cruisers picking up rental cars from a particular rental company. We’ve used Alamo and Budget for different cruises. Our waiting time for the shuttle ranged from 5 minutes to 45 minutes. Both of those happened to be with Budget. Our one experience with Alamo was about 15 minutes wait at the port. Then we waited again at the car rental pickup station to check in for our vehicle. This can again take some time, depending on the number of cars on hand and the number of people picking up cars. Our worst case experience was the long wait for the Budget shuttle followed by an hour wait in line to get a car assigned. We essentially had to wait until someone heading out on a cruise arrived to drop off their rental car so it could be turned around for our rental. It was close to 11 am by the time we had our car, even though we were off the ship by 9 am. On the other hand, our best case car pick up had us driving away with the rental car by 9:30 am because the shuttle came right away, the pickup line was short, and a car meeting our reservation requirements (full size sedan in our case) was ready to go. I think the timing is somewhat unpredictable. Not really a problem for us, since we’re just heading to a WDW resort after our cruise, but a potential issue if we were trying to catch a flight after dropping off the rental car at one of the airports.

I don't understand why the bags are not included even in the high fares is this normal?

Yes, it’s become common across the world unfortunately. AA usually flies one or more widebodies (777 and 787) daily between LAX/MIA. For (usually) $125pp, you can upgrade from the lowest fare to a fare that includes a checked bag and allows you to select a premium economy seat (better than their domestic First Class). It’s a pretty good value IMO. Those aircraft have TVs at every seat as well.

I don't understand why the bags are not included even in the high fares is this normal?
I think the term many would use is “money grab.”

Many industries lost a bunch of revenue during Covid - but some just use that excuse for things already happening or no longer applicable.

So many factors go into it, we will never get a clear picture. Union wages, corporate profits / share dividends / executive bonuses.

Some measures get put in place to solve a current crisis (cash crunch, manpower shortage) and then are left in place.

American economics is designed to help the top 1% make more money. The rest of us are doing our best to have a happy life.

Despite the extra fees, on a recent flight, the cargo hold luggage was full. Big, full plane.

Someone has to pay for luggage handlers to move and load our bags. Raising airfare to cover that labor makes it difficult to offer “lower fares” than a company that doesn’t include luggage.

And then there is Southwest. Two bags included. And lower fares, typically (although not as good a deal as in the past).

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter