Flying with a rollator

Moose66

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...
Does anybody have experience flying with a rollator? I'm hiring a ecv for the parks. I'm thinking about for the airports. I was going to request a wherlchair from my airline, but if there's no penalty incurred from bringing a rollator I might do that instead.

Usually. You can ask that it be stowed in the closet. Technically, it takes priority over FA’s bags.

I fly southwest and they put a tag on it at the gate. I use it down the jetway and leave it there with the strollers and they stow it under the plane then get it out at the destination and place it back on the jetway for me. It takes a bit to get it there so I usually take my time getting off the plane

I wonder about that. We've always taken my rollator as baggage, in a box and identified it to the baggage check-in counter as a medical device. Well, after 5 trips, all with Southwest, the attendant at the check in counter said that because the box was 1 1/2'" beyond their maximum size, they wouldn't transport it. Although DH insisted it was a medical device and should be transported, she insisted. Finally, she relented "THIS time" But we're thinking of gate checking it next time-I've never seen them measure them there. and mine's a very common rollator that I've seen gate checked lots of times. Anyways, I've never been charged for it.

I wonder about that. We've always taken my rollator as baggage, in a box and identified it to the baggage check-in counter as a medical device. Well, after 5 trips, all with Southwest, the attendant at the check in counter said that because the box was 1 1/2'" beyond their maximum size, they wouldn't transport it. Although DH insisted it was a medical device and should be transported, she insisted. Finally, she relented "THIS time" But we're thinking of gate checking it next time-I've never seen them measure them there. and mine's a very common rollator that I've seen gate checked lots of times. Anyways, I've never been charged for it.

You will not have an issue gate checking it. My normal size rollator is smaller than some of the strollers I have seen gate checked. Size doesn’t matter at all for it although I wouldn’t have it in a box

I fly southwest and they put a tag on it at the gate. I use it down the jetway and leave it there with the strollers and they stow it under the plane then get it out at the destination and place it back on the jetway for me. It takes a bit to get it there so I usually take my time getting off the plane
Ditto!! Southwest makes it easy!

One BIG suggestion - put something on the rollator, mark or decorate it to make it distinctive so you can recognize it when you arrive. When my family flew into Orlando in October, there were several people who gate checked rollators. Several had trouble recognizing their rollator when we landed. The guy who collected the last one for his mother wasn’t certain it was hers. He took it since everyone else who had gate checked one had already left and it was the last one.

Also, storing in the onboard closet was mentioned. Keep in mind that most planes don’t have a closet, especially if they don’t have a First Class section.

I hope you don't mind if I piggyback on this--how do you get thru security at the airport? Does it go on the belt with the bags?

You can take it through to the gate. It will go through the scanner or a TSA agent will wipe it and scan the wipe.

if you cannot walkthrough the scanner without the rollator, they will manually pay you down. it can take a few minutes.

I hope you don't mind if I piggyback on this--how do you get thru security at the airport? Does it go on the belt with the bags?
You use it until you get to the gate. Then they put it in the cargo hold. I believe I have to put a tag on it beforehand, similar to luggage.

You use it until you get to the gate. Then they put it in the cargo hold. I believe I have to put a tag on it beforehand, similar to luggage.
Yes. You definitely need it tagged.
Depending on the airline (or the airport location & staffing), it might be tagged when you check in or at the gate before boarding starts.
They tag it with a regular luggage tag with a bar code that has flight and ticket Information to ‘connect ‘ it to you.
They may also tag it with a separate gate check tag that indicates to the baggage people that it should be delivered to the gate when landing. On our last trip, the gate check tag was integrated into the baggage tag.
If your trip includes a stop or transfer, you would be able to decide whether to have it brought to the gate at your first stop or your final destination

Mine has never gone on the belt. Since I can walk some without it they take it separate from me when I go through the scanner. They check it out thoroughly and reunite it with me after I go through the scanner. Security at my airport has some canes that they can let you use but I am not 100% on what they do if you cannot walk without it as I have not personally experienced that situation.

My experiences are with both JetBlue and United at Newark and at Orlando.

Took the rollator with no baggage tag up to security. Most of the time I have been asked if I can walk without assistance (yes). I have TSA Pre-check so I only have to go through the regular screener. If I could not walk without assistance, they have a wooden cane available.

I place my rollator to the side before the metal detector; there's usually a spot where TSA can access it. Once I am through, the rollator is taken to the area where they swab it. It is then returned to me. I have only had to wait a longer than usual time once recently.

At the gate I ask the agent for a gate claim tag. I suggest having your boarding pass handy. They either write my flight and name or my flight and seat number on the claim tag. They put the tag on the rollator and hand me the ticket part. Since it is a medical device and gate claimed, there is no charge.

Both airlines have allowed me to pre-board. This gives me time to close up my rollator on the jetway right before boarding and secure it with thick velcro straps (2 are sufficient). (I tried a stroller bag the first time but found it to be too cumbersome.). We leave it standing by the door across from the plane entrance (from where they take gate claim items). Never saw a closet large enough for it once boarded.

Be prepared to wait a while for it to be brought up to the jetway and for people to not care that you might have positioned yourself in front and will force their way in to be "first". There is no order for when items are brought up.

No need to box it up. If it is damaged the airlines must repair or replace it promptly, and pay to rent you an alternative device to use while yours is being repaired. In the case of a walker or rollator, they would likely replace it. They don’t get to just get you the cheapest one either, it must be identical or substantially similar.

If you are worried, you can ask them to stow it in the cabin. Unless someone else before you already asked, they will accommodate you.

And as you probably already know (but others, such as OP, might not) — mobility devices, and other medical equipment fly free in the US, and cannot count against your baggage or carry on allowance.

No need to box it up. If it is damaged the airlines must repair or replace it promptly, and pay to rent you an alternative device to use while yours is being repaired. In the case of a walker or rollator, they would likely replace it. They don’t get to just get you the cheapest one either, it must be identical or substantially similar.

If you are worried, you can ask them to stow it in the cabin. Unless someone else before you already asked, they will accommodate you.

And as you probably already know (but others, such as OP, might not) — mobility devices, and other medical equipment fly free in the US, and cannot count against your baggage or carry on allowance.

Some airlines now have reconfigured cabin interiors and there is no longer in-cabin storage (like a closet) available to passengers. On one flight our daughter took recently, the former closet had been reconfig’d for catering carts in the bottom, with hanging space above for first-class pax coats. I have seen some closets where there is hanging space only, and the lower half of the closet (where a device would be stored) is actually a systems bulkhead (there is no space for anything, just a wall that is right inside the door)

That doesn’t mean not to ask - just letting all my friends here know that if a Flight Attendant or Gate Agent says that your device(s) must be gate-checked, that may be why. There may no longer be a spot for it, except in the gate-check hold.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter