flying with meds

joanchris

DIS Veteran
Hi all, all this talk of flying and weight limits has gotten me thinking about the meds we must bring.
At home I usually use two weekly med containers, one for am meds and one for pm meds...must I bring the meds in the regular prescription bottles as we travel? We get most of our meds in 3 mo supplies by mail, so the containers are huge! We've not flown anywhere since 9/11, and the kids have never flown, so I'm unfamiliar with all the new checks etc.
Thanks!
Joan

joanchris said:
Hi all, all this talk of flying and weight limits has gotten me thinking about the meds we must bring.
At home I usually use two weekly med containers, one for am meds and one for pm meds...must I bring the meds in the regular prescription bottles as we travel? We get most of our meds in 3 mo supplies by mail, so the containers are huge! We've not flown anywhere since 9/11, and the kids have never flown, so I'm unfamiliar with all the new checks etc.
Thanks!
Joan

I have the same problem but have learned to go to a local pharmacy and ask them to repackage the meds in smaller containers then I reorganize them later...

or just ask them to send some smaller (empty) labeled bottles when they send your supply. Pharmacies do that all the time in the US for parents to send medication to school with their children.

I've flown quite a bit since 9/11, including to London and back, with my mother's meds which include a daily pen syringe injectible drug, plus regular syringe injectible drugs and the oral drugs. The injectibles must be refrigerated and I carry them in a small lunch bag type nylon cooler with icepacks. I carry all the oral meds in the 7 day pill boxes and just make sure that there are several extra days, just in case. I do not take any pill bottles, but do carry a prescription list (which I ask the pharmacy to print out -- it includes prescribing physician, name of med and dose) with me just in case, but I have never been asked for it, nor have I ever had any difficulty with someone questioning meds. However, my mother is 84, in a wheel chair and looks frail and ill. Perhaps if a more robust looking person had lots of injectible meds, they might ask for the prescription checklist.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter