flying with wheelchair

AmieeLynne

Earning My Ears
I have a couple questions, I am taking my son to WDW in July and have offered to take my mom. she walks, but needs a wheelchair for long distances. she has her own electric wheelchair.the last time she went with us was back in 2002 and we drove down so it was no big deal but this time we are flying and I was wondering how that works? do you have to pay for an extra plane ticket or fee because you are basically shipping something? what about the new disney transportation to the resort? think it will be handicap accessible? maybe it would just be worth the money and less worry to rent a scooter or something simmiliar down there? thanks for the help

I believe that the ADA requires that airlines do not charge extra for transporting wheelchairs.

Disney's Magical Express bus service has wheelchair accessible buses from the airport. Not all the buses can carry power wheelchairs, so you need to tell Disney when booking, so that an appropriate bus can be assigned.

Airlines can ocassionally damage powerchairs, but they must repair them at no cost to you. You need to check your chair thoroughly when you arrive, because you will need to notify the airline before leaving the airport.

You should also consider removing anything that might get lost, like cushions headrests and footplates and take them into the cabin with you. Also disconnect the battery. I once arrived in Orlando with flat batteries after a nine hour flight!

Andrew

I agree with everything Andrew posted.
The airlines are not allowed to charge any extra and mobility equipment does not count toward your baggage allowance. (So don't worry about how many wheelchair pieces you carry on, they are not allowed to say you have to choose between your carry on bag and a footrest.) Call the airline and ask to talk to someone who deals with Special Needs. They may not all call it that, but they all have a Special Needs Department.

If she can walk a bit, it might be less hassle to rent a scooter from one of the off-site rental places. You can get skycap assistance at the airport to get from check in to the gate and from your arrival gate to your transportation. You kind of have to weigh the pros and cons, knowing what you know about her. For example, can she manage to step up onto a bus for the Magical Transport, is there any special equipment on her own wheelchair that makes it easier/more comfortable for her, could she manage a scooter just as well?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter