Food Allergies at WDW

HaleyB

I am not a robot
Hi
Any one delt with this? I have a son very allergic to dairy and nuts. I have read the guide on allearsnet and another article somewhere but still had a few questions.
I know I can call ahead to the sit down places and make arrangements for feeding him, but what about counter service? Any chance of getting safe food at counters or should I not bother trying? My big concern is dessert. I do not see much besides icecream at many places and would hate to make him sad. He already feels so left out when we eat out of our home and I would really like this to be special for him. If it takes eating at sit downs all the time then we will, but I am more an eat while doing something else sort and well, my friends sometimes call me Tigger, if that tells you anything...

Hi HaleyB! I also have a child who has food allergies (peanuts and tree nuts) and we have been to WDW before, so I can tell you how things worked for us.

As you mentioned in your post, you can call ahead to the sit-down restaurants to let them know about your son's allergies. You should also ask to speak to the chef when you are seated so that you can discuss menu options.

As far as counter service goes, I received the following phone #'s from Disney. You can call each park's Food & Beverage office and ask about counter service options.

Magic Kingdom: 407-824-5967
Epcot: 407-560-7292
Disney-MGM Studios: 407-560-7830
Disney's Animal Kingdom: Head Chef Ralph 407-938-2441

I don't know about dairy-free dessert options. Maybe someone else will have some info. for you.

We went to the supermarket when we arrived in Orlando and bought breakfast items and some safe snacks for our daughter. One of her favorite "treats" is Oreos, so we bought those and brought them with us to the parks and restaurants. Any time that she couldn't have the dessert or snack that we were having, she had her Oreos and that made her happy. So, maybe you could bring some special treat with you when you go to places that won't have a safe dessert for him.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, those phone numbers should come in handy. I am crossing my fingers that the Chicken strips are breaded with dairy free breading and I hope the hot dogs and buns are kosher. It actually amazes me how often they serve kosher hotdogs on buns that have dairy in them (which would make them not kosher).

My son is allergic to tree nuts as well, but we are luckey that he can eat peanuts without a problem. Of course the dairy thing is a gian t pain too (no Oreo's, they have whey in them)

laughinplace199 gave you all the info I can think of. WDW is wonderful about dealing with food allergies. I think they have always gone above and beyond with my experiences there.

Just wondering, is he able to eat hot dogs?

Ignore the hot dog question since you answered it while I was typing.

I don't think the hot dogs or buns are kosher. But I do believe you can request them.

Poor thing, can't even have Oreos.

We are just back from the world with a 4-1/2 year old child who is allergic to milk, peanuts and tree nuts.

He was able to eat the hot dogs from various locations-Peco Bills, Casey, hot dog carts. I don't think the chicken strips are ok, but double check with the chef at the numbers listed above. I believe the counter service restaurants have a book with ingredient lists, you just have to ask. We stuck to hot dogs.

For snacks/treats there is popcorn, cotton candy, packaged candy, popsickles, fruit, baked potatoes (no butter).

We ate at Chef Mickey's on our last night and the chef there made him plain mickey shaped pasta and french fries and for dessert a big bowl of Tofutti soy frozen non dairy dessert with a bottle of Hershey syrup. He was in heaven! At the Polynesian we had breakfast one morning and the chef there made him dairy free mickey waffles. Everyone is very accomodating, with or without Priority Seating arrangements. Just the mention of the words "food allergy" and they will send the chef right out to speak to you.

A CM at one of the counter service restaurants in MGM (I forget the name; the one with all the different food places and the outdoor fruit stand right before you get to TOT and RRC) told me that I should check the ingredients of the food at each counter service restaurant because not all the restaurants serve food from the same vendor, even restaurants in the same park. She was very helpful and brought out the box of frozen chicken for me to examine the ingredients. She explained that every counter service place should do this for you and to speak with the manager if there is a problem. Also she told me to check the items each and every time you eat a restaurant because vendors change without notice.

Just as a side note the chicken strips at that time were not breaded with milk, whey or casein products.

As far as the desserts, we just bring our own for him. Have you ever tried Soy Dream "ice cream"; maybe the sit down restaurant can arrange to get some for him. I think that the Tofutti soy ice cream has caseinate in it (not sure); I guess it depends on how serious the allergy is. There is not much that he can eat there. Here's what we have found:
1. Lollipops (those really big ones are a big hit)
2. Bakery at MK on main street- they sell character cookies (big cookies with icing- Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Pluto)
3. The ice cream stands normally sell some sort of ice pops.

I know travelling and eating out is tough, my DS 2 will not even eat meat, veggies or pasta anymore. His Disney vacation consists of eating oatmeal, dry cereal, french fries, bananas and sometimes soy yogurt. Good luck and report back and good tips for those of us dealing with the allergies.

We do have to avoid casein too (it is the worst thing for him as his is a protien allergy).
While I am thinking of it, I am not going to have any problems with his Epi pin in original box, am I? I never have at Disney Land, but hate to assume anything. One time I had an Airline argue with me about it (but it was close to 9-11). I will try to remember to get a note from his Doctor, or at least the pharmacy (I think I can manage that in the next 100+ days...), better safe anyway.
I will make sure to check every place we go to. I was hopeful that the whole place used the same vendors, oh well. When we went to Disney Land we brought homemade brownies, I may have to do that again. I just put them in plastic wrap and added them on the tray before I brought our food to the table. He never knew that they were not 'from' Disney Land.

Hi, I have a child with a gluten allergy. You would never know that it was a problem at all for WDW. When we go out we usually stick to burgers, no marinade on steaks and chicken and french fries with vegetables. Very plain. Not at WDW. We make priority seatings for breakfast and dinner pretty much every day. When I call they give me a number to call the chef a week ahead of time. At that time they discuss with me what he likes and what he dislikes. They almost take it as a challenge to make him feel special and make spectacular meals. It is expensive always eating sit down meals but to see the smile on my son's face when the chef puts in front of him things that he would never be able to eat out is worth it. If it is your sons dessert that you are worried about explain it to the chef, I bet that he will arise to the occassion. Also, when you enter the restaurant of your choice the chef comes right out to greet you and also checks on you during your meal. I found Cape May Cafe and Tony's Town Square to be more than accommodating. As far as counter service we usually only get a quick french fry or something since we eat such big breakfasts we're usually not too hungry. I wish you the best.

I would just like to add my reassurances. My mother has celiac sprue -- an allergy to gluten -- and she had an amazing trip. Every chef came out to talk to her. No one gave her funny looks -- every chef knew exactly what celiac sprue was, and how to deal with it. If it was a buffet, the chef would walk her around it pointing to what she could eat. The chef at Boma -- normally a buffet -- actually made her an amazing special meal. I can't think of a better place than WDW to bring a child with allergies.

My son has severe allergy to Peanuts and Tree Nuts. We have also been impressed with the response we receive when asking about food safety. In reference to 2 questions above:

No, you will not have a problem with your Epi-pens. We carry an "Emergency Pack" with (2) Pens and Benadryl. We have never been questioned about this at WDW when they check our bags as we enter. We do put all of this inside a water-proof bag and then in it's pouch so nothing gets wet on Splash Mountain or River Ride at AK.

In regards to the MK Bakery... in speaking at the bakery with the manager, they recommended not eating any of their products due to cross-contamination. As hard as it is, and as wonderful as it smells, we all stay out of the bakery.

I'm sure you have learned to deal with this the same way we do, one bite and one meal at a time. Even though this is a big place, you'll still use the same methods that have been keeping your child safe.

Have a great trip!

Cosmic Rays in the MK has kosher hot dogs, kosher burgers and chicken. Hope this helps.

Hi there,
My son is allergic to wheat, gluten, eggs, barley and nuts (he's fine with dairy). We frequent many buffets when at WDW and all have been very accomodating. DS had a wonderful meal at MK's Crystal Palace during our last trip and the chef even made him a special dessert, a gluten-free, egg-free brownie topped with whipped cream and strawberries. He was SO delighted with it that he asked us to take a picture of it and still talks about it to this day. He had a great meal at Boma, Chef Mickey's, Hoop Dee Doo, and had gluten-free, egg-free, Mickey waffles at Ohana. Other patrons are always quite curious as to why my son has his meals brought to the table by a chef and always comment on how lovely (and healthy) the plates look. WDW restaurants are very accomodating, much more than any restaurants I've taken him to near home. We also carry an Epipen Jr. and Benadryl and have never had a problem at WDW or at the airports.

DeeCeeSW - how were the waffles? I had egg-free pancakes at Olivia's and at Hollywood & Vine and didn't really like them. Were the waffles worth eating?

I always get a little embarassed (since I'm so shy anyway) when the chef comes out to talk to me, then again to check on the meal. I always wonder if people are trying to figure out why I'm so "special". But no one has ever made me feel weird about it.

The waffles were pretty good. My son ate 2 out of 5--he's a pretty picky eater (he's only 3). I actually asked the chef at the Cape May Cafe breakfast buffet if he would make some Mickey pancakes for my son and he flat out said that the pancakes were not very good and that we should go for the waffles! I think most people are intrigued when the see the chef come to the table and think you are a VIP!

Thanks DeeCeeSW! I love the feeling of being able to go out and have a real breakfast sometimes! It looks like WDW is really the only place I can.

I'm SO glad to read that people with allergies can eat quite well at WDW still! My 2 yr old is allergic to peanuts (and we avoid ALL nuts), so this is good news for us. We won't be back at WDW till next March, but this is one topic I want to be VERY prepared for when we go.

Can I ask those of you who carry Epi-Pens, do you carry them in some kind of insulated pouch so that they stay at room temperature while you're walking around the parks (outside, on potentially hot days)?

(BTW, I guess I should add that we learned about his peanut allergy a month after our last WDW trip, so it wasn't an issue then. We fed him those smuckers pb&j sandwiches at some of the WDW restaurants...makes me cringe when I think about it now!)

thanks for all the great information. I think I will be making a lot of PS ressies in 20 days or so! I had a nurse tell me the epi pins were okay in the heat, but have not been officially tested which is why the warning is on them. Her son is also horribly allergic to milk. I was planing on bringing my sons insulated lunch box to carry our WDW first aid kit anyway.

it is nice to know I'm not alone...my 4 year old has a severe peanut allergy as well - his rast test showed he was off the charts! It is terribly scary, but we have learned to live with it. I would definately bring your own "treats" for your child and stick to very basic 1-2 ingredient items. Obviously, don't eat at any wildly ethnical places....like at AKL or chinese places (they always seem to have nuts). Be careful about fries being fried in peanut oil (though some say this is okay, I refuse to try)

There is a neat website: www.vermontnutfree.com

that sells peanut/nut free chocolates and candies - of course some of this may not work for dairy intolerence...but sometimes (like valentines day) I'll preorder some cute chocolates for my youngest - so he doesn't feel left out.

Of course, making sure to ask someone IN CHARGE and not just the 18 year old waiter is important....and I would find out ahead of time where the closest medical center is and have directions how to get there, etc....just in case! That said, you will be fine - just be careful! And have FUN!!!:Pinkbounc

tinkie-Thanks for that website, they have some yummy looking stuff!! I've been able to find plenty of snacks/treats that are nut free though, thankfully. It is annoying though that so many of the major chocolate brands have nut exposure, even though there aren't any actual nuts in them. :(

My son's rast test was a 3 for peanuts, and just last week we did the blood test (don't know the name for it) and are awaiting the results. I hope they are good.

We only eat out at restaurants that we know are safe, and I just hope everything goes well on our next WDW trip in regards to this since we'll be eating out a lot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter