Food Allergies at WDW

I have a fairly severe tree nut allergy. I'm also allergic to peanuts and scallops. (And feathers and a bunch of medications, but that's beyond the point ;) )

Overall, I've been very satisfied with the level of knowledge and care that various servers, restaurant managers, and chef's have taken in working with me to create a great dining experience at WDW.

I seldom call ahead, unless it's a pre-plated, limited menu, such as Cindy's breakfast, Hoop De Doo, etc. As long as you're willing to flex, they'll create a wonderful experience for you.

Boma is one restaurant I wouls steer VERY clear of, it was one of the very few dining experiences that I felt they really didn't care if I went hungry. I pretty much did, because there were all of three items I could eat, and they offered a plain chicken breast AFTER we had finished eating. :(

At Citrico's they bring me bread baked at V&A's, as the bread at Citrico's has nuts in it.

I have had only a handful of places that I felt I was perhaps not getting accurate info, and in those cases we either left to dine elsewhere, or I chose carefully.

With a little common sense you'll have a great and worry free time!

As far as knowing the closest medical center, that would be Celebration Health, no more than 15 minutes from anywhere in WDW. But if you truly have an emergency, the paramedics are very fast to respond. I had a bad asthma attack in Epcot last summer, and they were there within minutes. Luckily, my inhaler kicked in, and after about five minutes on oxygen, I felt well enough to continue my day :)

Have a safe and great trip!

Anne

We had no problems at Boma, in fact, they prepared my son a terrific nut, egg, wheat and barley-free meal. I think Boma definitely is one of those places where you need to call the chef prior to arrival and make arrangements for a special meal. My DS also had a great dinner at Jiko. We always call ahead regardless of what type of meals are being served. We feel we have "triple protection," in that we tell the CM when we make your ressie, we call the chef and he notes it, and then we tell our server and meet the chef at our meal.

I am nursing my little one who has MSPI (milk-soy protien intolerance). We are staying in a room with a kitchen to help our budget and the food issue. However, there were a cuople place I really wanted to eat at... is there any hope of being able to find a dairy free meal at the crystal palace or the rainforst cafe? And did I see someone say the made dairy free brownies for there little one? I would LOVE to get the recipe for those... I have been having tofutti... but it is so expensive... thanks!

I mentioned that my DS was given a brownie for dessert at Crystal Palace. Turns out they use Rachel's chocolate brownie mix. You can usually find this brand in any health food store and certain supermarkets that have a gluten-free aisle like Wegman's. I'm sure you could also find this product online and order through a site too. You add oil and applesauce to the mix. They are delicious!

Just wanted to add that as an adult with severe food allergies (started off with just a few as a kid and got worse as I got older), WDW is one of the few places that you can feel "safe". While many restaurants don't "get it", the chefs in WDW are exposed to allergies every day. The majority that I have met have been extremely helpful, as have been the servers and other restaurant staff that I have interacted with.

In a world that is still uneducated about the dangers of food allergies, it's nice that Disney is a place where they do understand.

Originally posted by Annie&Hallie'sMom
Just wanted to add that as an adult with severe food allergies (started off with just a few as a kid and got worse as I got older

Glad to know I'm not the only one! I agree, WDW is one of the few places I feel really safe as far as eating out :)

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter