• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Food and Wine strategy solo?

D

dahirsh

My first trip to the Food and Wine Festival will be a solo trip. Any tips? I had always figured I would go with someone else and we could share a bit of this or a taste of that. How much time spread over how many visits to Epcot is realistic for one person to sample what they would like to?
I'm already assuming no other "meals" in Epcot this trip. No sit down, most likely no regularily there counter service.

Also, should I assume cash only at the Food and Wine Festival? I usually charge everything to my room, so I need to know for planning if I'll need extra cash.

Deb

Deb- you can put all your nibbles on your room charge. It's fun to add up the receipts at the end of the day. I think you can reasonably taste everything that interests you in 2 days if you don't plan any other major meals.

I've done the F&W Festival solo a few times. I was given a tip on one trip which has worked out nicely. Select 3-4 booths to nibble from each day. The servings aren't large but after 3-4 stops that is likely to be enough for one person. You could also do 3-4 for lunch and then another 3-4 for dinner.

Don't forget the free cooking demos (with free samples and recipes) and the special dinners. All of those have been held at the Odyssey. Free wine and beer lectures (with more free samples) are held around the World Showcase area during the day.

Although you can charge the samples to your room you may want to bring a few small bills ($1's and $5's) with you. If the lines are long this will quicken the pace.

Lots of locals go to the F&W Festival along with travelers so it can get very busy at times. The weekends are especially crowded, from Friday through Sunday. Midweek afternoons weren't as bad when I've gone.

If you want to book a special dinner, you need to do that ASAP also. Again, locals go to Epcot for the Wine Maker dinners, etc. and book spaces as soon as they are available.

I don't agree that 2 days will do it. DH and I did 2 days last year. Our intent was to share everything and check it all out - then go back for samples of things we really liked. We did no sit down dinners or special meals. We shared what we got, so as not to get too full. We still didn't get to taste evrything - AND we were rushing the 2nd half of the 2nd day.

Now, that being said, we did several wine seminars and cooking demos as we like to cook and entertain. Truly enjoyed the seminars. If you like learning about wines or how to cook interesting dishes you will enjoy these also. Those, of course, take up time (about 20-30 min each) and will have their own tasting samples, so you eat and drink there, too.

DH and I agreed that Food & Wine really needs 3 days, minimum. Personally, 4 days wouldn't be too long - they keep changing the seminars on a day to day basis.

I'd try one of those food & wine pairings. Last year these were held at the Coral Reef on Weds, Thurs, Fri afternoons. They'd seat you with other people who are most likely to be food & wine festival veterans, so you'd have someone to chat with. The one I did last year cost $30 and was well worth it.

Originally posted by TDC Nala
I'd try one of those food & wine pairings. Last year these were held at the Coral Reef on Weds, Thurs, Fri afternoons. They'd seat you with other people who are most likely to be food & wine festival veterans, so you'd have someone to chat with. The one I did last year cost $30 and was well worth it.

Is this one of those things you need to prebook? Or just be in the right place at the right time?

Deb

yes, you must prebook. They will start offering the prebookings sometime in July. They usually don't announce them ahead of time. If you are interested in a prebooking, check www.wdwig.com and they will post an announcement on their food & wine page when the bookings become available.

I went to the F&W festival about 5 yrs ago with my brother. We went on a Thursday and lines were none to minimal almost everywhere.

FYI for solos - We now have a "<a href="http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=393800">SOLO Central</A>" thread ("stuck" near the top of this board) with links so far for June through October, if you want to post to other solos for a DIS meet or find another solo to do the parks, F&W, etc. with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter