Food Poisoning Question

"Just curious. I think there's a perception that it's more common to get food poisoning from a buffet, rather than a seated meal. Is this perception true? Or are buffets needlessly getting a bad rap?"

Here's the problem with buffets. It's called, "cross contamination", and not from bad food necessarily but from "person to person." Now what I'm about to say may make some of you feel a bit squimish however it's the absolute and undeniable truth. The untensils on a buffet line are nasty. Think about it, people go through the buffet, return to the table, lick their fingers, etc., return to the buffet line and get more food without ever washing their hands. You might as well be kissing everybody that goes through that line at least until the untensils are changed out. Some states make you get a new plate when returning through the line but this does nothing about the cross contamination issues with the "community" utensils. I don't have a phobia about this but you can bet I always wash my hands, or use antibacterial wipes, before I go through a buffet line and in between returning and coming back from a buffet line. It's the proper thing to do.

When I was on the "Wonder" a couple of year ago I asked the officer in charge of dining why they made us use wipes before entering the buffet line fully knowing the answer... She told me it was to help from spreading the dreaded "Norovirus". In a non sarcastic manner I shared with her that it would do little good due to the major cross contamination happening at the untensils. She got quiet, actually a bit astonished, and then said, "I must bring that up in the next staff meeting. I never thought about that." I told her one solution would be to make people use wipes before they went back through the line rather than just before. Of course the other solution would be for one CM to serve from each position. This is the choice they obviously made and is really the best choice at least during epidemic season.

Also the other myth is if you're the only one that got sick out of your party then it's not the place where all of you ate. This is very untrue. The one person easily could have gotten a single piece of contaminated food while others didn't. The most common cause of food borne illness is indeed cross contamination at restaurants and at home. Here's an example how it happens... Someone use a knife and cutting board to cut a piece of raw chicken, sets the knife down, and goes to put the chicken on the grill. Someone else comes along and uses the same utensils to cut some lettuce, etc.. This leads to the next big mis-conception of people blaming the chicken, etc... You see the chicken that went to the grill is probably just fine as it got cooked properly (you hope) but the lettuce or whatever else those contaminated utensils were used to cut didn't a "kill cycle"(Defined in food borne safety classes as something that gets cooked after being raw or contaminated in order not to spread pathogens. Washing your hands is a kill cycle in other words.) So actually what one might have blamed on the chicken, may and most likely, was the salad. Since lettuce for example comes in individual pieces it is very easy for only one piece to be contaminated while the rest is just fine.

The other thing I look for at buffets is to make sure they are properly cooled. In the summer it's very easy for the refrigeration to go down on these things causing the food to sit in the "danger zone"(over 45 degrees if cold food or under 140 degrees if hot food). These are the kinds of violations that cause many people to get sick at one time.

All this being said, you can bet Disney is pretty careful about food safety. They can't afford not to be however a lot depends on our own behaviors as described above when it comes to not spreading the "person to person" virus's etc...

Sorry for the long rant...

FYI, that peanut butter incident was caused by a leaking roof at the plant that had been sprayed by an untreated sprinkler system water which then dripped into the product. It was indeed Salmonella. I'm so sorry for you as this is about the sickest you can get short of E-coli 0157.

Also, everyone these days needs to be especailly diligent while washing produce such as spinach, green onions, strawberries, etc... This can go along ways in preventing disasters. Unfortunatley until our government steps in and makes the growers be more careful when allowing produce fields to sit right next to cow pastures we will all be at risk at any given time.

Dear OP,

I'm very sorry you got sick. From the duration it lasted and symptoms described it indeed sounds like Salmonella. With an incubation time of 8-72 hours it sounds like CP could be the culprit or anywhere else in the above time line. I would indeed contact Disney. Did you go to the doctor/hospital and get tested?

I'm probably in the minority here, but my philosophy has always been that I have a great immune system so I don't worry about getting everyone's germs. Right or wrong, I choose to believe that exposing my immune system to all the germs in the universe has made it (my immune system) more efficient. I am seldom sick. My family is seldom sick. I can't even remember the last time anyone in our household was nauseous, let alone lost his/her lunch. Seriously. Our ages are: 59, 58, 19,18 and 18.

This is comforting to me when I/myfamily eats...wherever they eat. I figure, worrying about it isn't going to increase/decrease my chance of getting food poisoning...so why worry. I have my family take basic common sense precautions when eating out. I like my steaks bloody rare and have no problem ordering that...but would never order a medium rare hamburger out...I make those at home from freshly cut beef that is eaten within minutes of grinding and grilling/broiling or searing. I don't worry about getting salmonella from eggs...and I don't like my Eggs Benedict hard. The chances of getting salmonella from eggs has got to be miroscopic (lol...good one, right?) Anyway, I think we've gotten a little nuts here in the States about what constitutes "safe food". I don't care how careful a person is, he's going to get bad bugs put into his system every day. Life's too short to spend on germ neurosis.

That being said, I am very careful in my own kitchen not to cross-contaminate raw meat with food that will not be heated to a temperature that kills problematic bacteria. I use common sense and prefer not to dwell on all the bugs that remotely could be presenting themselves to my immune system.

Lol...goodness! I didn't realize I felt so strongly about this topic.

I feel bad for the OP, but think it's a long shot being able to prove food poisoning unless a significant number of people became ill, eating at the same place he did (CP). In this day and age of the internet, you can bet if that was the case, you'd hear about it online. Maybe that will be the case...and this is just the start...

Actually, I feel the same way you do. I rarely get sick due to a good immune system thank God but I have had Samonella a couple of times and it truly sucks. I'm much more aware while on vacation due to the fact of being around a lot more people in a different environment my body is not used to. Plus I really don't want to be on vacation, hung in a hotel room, etc.. wrenching my guts out if I can help from it. The whole idea is to be aware and practice some easy steps. The rest you don't have much control over...

I had the unhappy experience of getting food poisoning after attending a company Christmas party at a private club that served a huge hot and cold buffet. My then DH (not the most compassionate person when someone was ill) thought I was just sick to annoy him - this after several hours in the bathroom with both diarrhea and vomiting thinking death was not too far away. We had stayed at a hotel near the party location and the drive home was awful followed by several days of just pain and weakness. He apologized on the following Tuesday when he found out 40% of the people at the party were sick. The only thing I ate that he didn't was ham salad. It was most likely the keeping hot things hot and cold things cold aspect of food poisoning that caused this. Time from eating to getting sick was 7-8 hours.

one of the posters on this board has posted a link from the orlando sentinel, linking to restaurant inspections. Just now I am looking up the places I have adr at, and you can be sure several of them are now off my list.
Just because they are disney restaurants, doesn't mean the kitchen is spotless/food handled properly.
To the OP, I would complain to the dept of health. If you did get sick from a restaurant, you would be doing a lot of people a favor to have the problem corrected.
I had food poisoning once. I hope you feel better soon.

Some interesting points to be certain on this thread.
The one thing I was going to add seems to be where this thread is going anyhow....Two people can be exposed to the same infection be it viral, baterial or fungal - and one will get it and the other not.

One thing that I learned not too long ago was that many old people did NOT get sick in the great flu pandemic of 1918 (I think that was the year). Simply put, one might think that the elderly have weaker immune systems. IT was actually mostly younger people who got ill. The elderly have a longer history of surviving previous agents. So they think that's maybe what happened - the flu pandemic was similar to an earlier strain of flu.

A simple thing you can do at WDW is to not tax your system too much, and stay hydrated.

Well, I think we do have to put in perspectve that FL has many more diners than a state such as Nebraska, Oregon, NH, etc. You get my drift.
ANd this is from the article:
"But Roberta Hammond, a food-borne-illness expert with the Florida Department of Health, said the state's numbers could be higher because the state has a strict system for tracking illnesses caused by water and food."
That being said, I don't know of ANY restaurant where an insider could not tell horror stories.
I think it is amazing we are not all more sick than we are. :rolleyes1
Anyone else watch Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares? :scared1: Seeing the hidden cameras pre his arrival...... :eek: :headache: (Like taking a large food mixer directly off the path of a kitchen and stirring a large bucket of mix....
Makes me wonder what is in anything I eat out of home. (Not to mention seeing women change baby diapers on CS tables, or chairs, where guests wil later dine.)
Of course if we saw the packing plants we would probably all be eating organic from farmer's markets. But even that -- consider what is on the farming level.....
We must have great immune systems is all I can say. :rolleyes1

Crystal Palace, on their last food inspection, had 9 violations, 3 of them critical:
http://www.orlandosentinel2.com/data/restaurants/inspectResultsBeta.php?l=5800724

FWIW, there was an Orlando Sentinel article out yesterday about how Florida restaurants had more incidents of making people ill than restaurants in any other state in the US. Go, Florida! :)

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-asecfood25082507aug25,0,2628058.story

Cheers!
Heather W

YUCK!!! I wish I didn't go there. :sad2: :scared1:

When I looked at the database, there were so many restaurants/dining facilities that had ZERO deficiencies. There were some with 8-15, but all of them had been resolved. I've inspected kitchens and food serving lines many times and found the same things that were found here. I worked in restaurants when I was in college and saw much worse things than were noted in these inspections.

Crystal Palace, on their last food inspection, had 9 violations, 3 of them critical:
http://www.orlandosentinel2.com/data/restaurants/inspectResultsBeta.php?l=5800724

FWIW, there was an Orlando Sentinel article out yesterday about how Florida restaurants had more incidents of making people ill than restaurants in any other state in the US. Go, Florida! :)

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-asecfood25082507aug25,0,2628058.story

Cheers!
Heather W

yikes i have ate there and have upcoming ressies for it too, I hope they have fixed what was wrong.. now when i go there i am going to be thinking about what i read!

okay I have been at that link reading the food inspections and am really grossed out. Last June we ate at Princess storybook dining at Akershus .Well dh got seriously ill soon as we left. I didnt get sick that time. Then the end of March this year we were there and I got violently ill about 10-20 minutes leaving there and I never get like that . Its rare. Well I just read thier food inspection and they had three critical violations and it was just days after I had been there. We are going there again on our upcoming trip and am not quite as excited now lol

Please re-read my post again about the timing required for a "fully systemic" illness like you describe. It's pretty much impossible you got it from there. I would look back a day... Actually, these inspections are not that bad. I've seen much, much, much, worse.... I wouldn't worry about it, you'll be fine.

...getting 0 violations is what we all strive for in the industry, but sometimes things happen and you get a violation.

Non-critical violations can be as simple as having a serving spoon stored upside down on a storage shelf (handles should be up to minimize touching the food contact surface) or a cooler that is missing the hanging thermometer for a second reading of the cooler temp. These are things that should be corrected but they should not be looked at as something that will cause severe illness to the patrons......most non-critical violations are actually things that most people never even consider in their home kitchens (how many people have any idea as to the temp. inside their fridge or freezer at home??).

Critical violations should concern you more, but what you should look at is the violation history of the restaurant. A restaurant who has a history of numerous critical violations should pique your concern. Critical violations have such a wide scope of severity. Let's address the one that gets many restaurants... The Temperature Danger Zone (41-140 degrees), it's the temp. range where food born illness multiplies at it's most rapid rate (protein is the other factor in this equation). Foods should not be exposed to this temp. range longer than four hours (in my kitchens, we limit it to two hours and require raw poultry & meats to be iced down while out of the coolers during prep). Here is where many restaurants get nailed for critical violations; especially buffet restaurants. When food is kept hot for service, it is maintained at a minimum of 140 degrees until it is served. Cold food is required to be kept below 40 degrees. If the temps of these items are found to be in the middle, it can result in a critical violation. This goes for all food even the food being served on the buffet line must maintain these temps. Again, the restaurant's history should be considered before an all out boycott of any establishment is declared; a single report with a few critical violations does not constitute declaring a kitchen to be a cesspool of disease. Actually many home kitchens would never pass a health dept. inspection (some could, but most would not).

If anyone needs more info on food sanitation standards you can visit this site:

http://www.fightbac.org/

:thumbsup2

Great points! Adding to that is the fact the food out of temp has to be contaminated in the first place with a pathogen that can grow. The food is perfectly safe regardless as long as it's served within 4-hours. Sometimes the inspector won't take this into account and will right it up anyway. Folks, if it was that bad you would see stuff on these forums EVERYDAY regarding many people getting ill at Disney. Now those utensils on the buffet line I mentioned earlier, that's another story... the sadest thing about this whole thing is 80% of the time the wrong restaurant gets balmed and the real culprit goes undiscovered that is unless you officially report it to the health department. They will do a grid going several days back like was mentioned eatlier by another poster. If it's less than 8-hours from when you ate at the "accused" restaurant I will guarantee you they are going to be looking somewhere else earlier in the cycle also...

Well-all I can say is that Disney restaurants are probably as clean as any in the entire industry and anyone "afraid" to eat there should be "afraid" to eat anywhere.

Please re-read my post again about the timing required for a "fully systemic" illness like you describe. It's pretty much impossible you got it from there. I would look back a day... Actually, these inspections are not that bad. I've seen much, much, much, worse.... I wouldn't worry about it, you'll be fine.

I am not sure who this is referring to but I didnt claim I had food poisoning from the resteraunt. I only said both times we got sick right away and that I had read the food inspection thing that was done a few days after I was there and I just got grossed out.lol Especially from the critical report about the slime , ugghhh lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter