• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Food prices at Aulani INSANE

I don't understand why people choose to not leave the resort and then complain about resort prices. Every resort that I have been to has had ridiculous prices. Are high prices at a resort a surprise to anyone? In this day and age of the internet and everyone posting everything about a place, including the menu and food, no one should be surprised about anything.
I totally agree with you on this. I do wish, though, that Aulani management had given Ama Ama an a la carte menu option. A multi course pre fixe extravaganza is a bit much.

I totally agree with you on this. I do wish, though, that Aulani management had given Ama Ama an a la carte menu option. A multi course pre fixe extravaganza is a bit much.
I don't like this new trend either. They do it because that is how they make maximum money. It basically forces people to order more. And that is just a crappy thing to do. I won't eat at those places. Sad because we went to Ama Ama before shutdown and really enjoyed our meal there.

I live on Oahu but just spent a couple weeks road tripping from Legoland New York to Minneapolis. Some areas were a little more expensive than Honolulu (but not Aulani) while others were significantly cheaper. We were forced to eat at McDonald's a couple of times to keep the kids happy, and McDonald's in the Poconos and at rest stops cost about 10% more than in Hawaii.

We rented a cabin near Sugarcreek, OH and the prices at the Amish grocery stores and restaurants were about 30%-40% less than what we pay here. We spent a couple nights at Wilderness Lodge in Wisconsin and their food prices were in line with Aulani's, i.e. $7 for an ice cream.

Restaurant prices in Hawaii have SOARED in the past year while portions/quality have diminished - Chapek would be proud. Ulu Cafe prices have risen at about the same rate as other establishments on Oahu. A surf pack deluxe at Zippy's (aka where the local eats) is a little under $19 so I don't think a $26 entree at Ulu Cafe is out of line considering Aulani is 1) a resort and 2) owned by Disney.

Helpful hint to anyone picking up groceries on Oahu - Kapolei Target will price match their online price. For example, Juanitas tortilla chips used to be about $7 in store but only $2-$3 online.

15 years ago I used to travel to Hawaii for work every 8 weeks. It never felt remotely the same as when I was there for vacation.

For me, it takes about two days for the warm ocean to wash to away my mainland stress and feel the magic of Hawaii. Add in some excursions and off-site dining and it makes it a fun family vacation. Also, I’m a sucker for a Mickey/Minnie Dole Whip.

I hope that she is able to go back someday and experience it as a vacation instead of a layover/work trip.
Business Hawaii and tourist Hawaii are two very different worlds. If you don't have time to explore the beaches and other natural sites, I can easily see why it seems like an overpriced, overcrowded dump.

Business Hawaii and tourist Hawaii are two very different worlds. If you don't have time to explore the beaches and other natural sites, I can easily see why it seems like an overpriced, overcrowded dump.
For the first time, my wife and I drove past the Ko Olina off-ramp the other day and decided to explore what actually lies past Aulani and see what Waianae looks like. Well, that was a bad idea! First, there’s an actual dump in the form of a huge waste treatment facility, quite close to the resort, then miles and miles and miles of economic depression. That’s certainly not tourist Hawaii, but for us it wasn’t too nice either.

Don't quite understand why you’d call elements of tourist Hawaii a dump, though. Ko Olina certainly isn’t. And neither is Waikiki. They are certainly pricey and high density (Waikiki), but still pretty nice. And frankly I think Honolulu in its entirety would get higher rankings than many US cities.

For the first time, my wife and I drove past the Ko Olina off-ramp the other day and decided to explore what actually lies past Aulani and see what Waianae looks like. Well, that was a bad idea! First, there’s an actual dump in the form of a huge waste treatment facility, quite close to the resort, then miles and miles and miles of economic depression. That’s certainly not tourist Hawaii, but for us it wasn’t too nice either.

Don't quite understand why you’d call elements of tourist Hawaii a dump, though. Ko Olina certainly isn’t. And neither is Waikiki. They are certainly pricey and high density (Waikiki), but still pretty nice. And frankly I think Honolulu in its entirety would get higher rankings than many US cities.
I wasn't talking about the tourist areas. I can see why a work trip to Hawaii leaves a bad impression, but the places where tourists visit are spectacular.

I’m afraid that people like my wife and I are part of the problem because we really enjoy going to signature dining experiences like that. We went to Ama Ama on opening night in October and had a wonderful experience.

I live on Oahu but just spent a couple weeks road tripping from Legoland New York to Minneapolis. Some areas were a little more expensive than Honolulu (but not Aulani) while others were significantly cheaper. We were forced to eat at McDonald's a couple of times to keep the kids happy, and McDonald's in the Poconos and at rest stops cost about 10% more than in Hawaii.

We rented a cabin near Sugarcreek, OH and the prices at the Amish grocery stores and restaurants were about 30%-40% less than what we pay here. We spent a couple nights at Wilderness Lodge in Wisconsin and their food prices were in line with Aulani's, i.e. $7 for an ice cream.

Restaurant prices in Hawaii have SOARED in the past year while portions/quality have diminished - Chapek would be proud. Ulu Cafe prices have risen at about the same rate as other establishments on Oahu. A surf pack deluxe at Zippy's (aka where the local eats) is a little under $19 so I don't think a $26 entree at Ulu Cafe is out of line considering Aulani is 1) a resort and 2) owned by Disney.

Helpful hint to anyone picking up groceries on Oahu - Kapolei Target will price match their online price. For example, Juanitas tortilla chips used to be about $7 in store but only $2-$3 online.
Restaurant prices really have soared by us as well. We got used to doing more takeout during the pandemic and it seems like it’s impossible to get an appetizer, 2 entrees, and a desert for less than $100 (including a 10-15% tip).

I’m afraid that people like my wife and I are part of the problem because we really enjoy going to signature dining experiences like that. We went to Ama Ama on opening night in October and had a wonderful experience.
But I think it could still be a signature dining experience without the pre fixe angle, lIke all the restaurants at the Four Seasons, or just about any other hotel here. We don’t usually eat dessert or do the appetizer thing, so I just don’t like the idea of those being included and of course charged for when I really don’t want them. That said, the place looks pretty much filled every night, so no doubt I’m in the minority.

And of course you could argue that Ama Ama is a fun worthwhile splurge and a special night of dining, which is probably why we’ll try it in the future!

But I think it could still be a signature dining experience without the pre fixe angle, lIke all the restaurants at the Four Seasons, or just about any other hotel here. We don’t usually eat dessert or do the appetizer thing, so I just don’t like the idea of those being included and of course charged for when I really don’t want them. That said, the place looks pretty much filled every night, so no doubt I’m in the minority.

And of course you could argue that Ama Ama is a fun worthwhile splurge and a special night of dining, which is probably why we’ll try it in the future!
I think it is a fair statement that many restaurants ( Nappa Rose) offer a chef tastings menu and à la carte.

It is probably a lot easier to manage the food sourcing if you have a sold out venue and you know exactly how much of each ingredient you need each night. Very little waste.

I think it is a fair statement that many restaurants ( Nappa Rose) offer a chef tastings menu and à la carte.

It is probably a lot easier to manage the food sourcing if you have a sold out venue and you know exactly how much of each ingredient you need each night. Very little waste.
Exactly! So if many restaurants offer both, why can’t Ama Ama? But no doubt you’re right, the pre fixe option probably cuts down on waste, but in this case the savings don’t appear to be passed on to the patrons. Maybe they’ll adjust the offerings in the future, or bring back the breakfast everyone wants.

Exactly! So if many restaurants offer both, why can’t Ama Ama? But no doubt you’re right, the pre fixe option probably cuts down on waste, but in this case the savings don’t appear to be passed on to the patrons. Maybe they’ll adjust the offerings in the future, or bring back the breakfast everyone wants.
It does seem like a waste of an Ocean View asset to not offer breakfast there. Given that they just reopened, maybe they will add on additional dining options in the future.

Attachments

• 039547F7-ACBE-4848-AF6D-E99D3160D1FD.jpeg
    039547F7-ACBE-4848-AF6D-E99D3160D1FD.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 16

I agree with all of this. Being Prix Fixe is not what makes something a signature dining experience. It really does limit who can enjoy the restaurant. For many of us, that is just too much food.

I agree with all of this. Being Prix Fixe is not what makes something a signature dining experience. It really does limit who can enjoy the restaurant. For many of us, that is just too much food.
Agree. This is not a tasting menu food experience (like V & A) - where I totally get it.

I wish it was just an appetizer and main. Or a minimum per guest. I hate dessert!

Agree. This is not a tasting menu food experience (like V & A) - where I totally get it.

I wish it was just an appetizer and main. Or a minimum per guest. I hate dessert!
I understand that it is not your preference, but why do you feel that it is not a tasting menu food experience?

I understand that it is not your preference, but why do you feel that it is not a tasting menu food experience?
They are usually quite long (3 hours) - and tons of courses. Not really what Ama Ama is about. And it’s not really what anyone is looking for. Their dinner before was excellent. Great ingredients and perfect location/view.

I love tasting menus. But at Ama Ama They are mostly looking to lock in spend - which is fine, but a little flexibility would be nice.

They are usually quite long (3 hours) - and tons of courses. Not really what Ama Ama is about. And it’s not really what anyone is looking for. Their dinner before was excellent. Great ingredients and perfect location/view.

I love tasting menus. But at Ama Ama They are mostly looking to lock in spend - which is fine, but a little flexibility would be nice.
I would off the counterpoint that it was what my wife and I were looking for and that we quite enjoyed it. Not to take away from the fact that it is not your preference and that it is the only ocean front dining location on property, but it being sold out suggests that there are plenty of people who are looking for that experience and willing to pay for it.

Last edited:
I would off the counterpoint that it was what my wife and I were looking for and that we quite enjoyed it. Not to take away from the fact that it is not your preference and that it is the only ocean front dining location on property, but it being sold out suggests that there are plenty of people who are looking for that experience and willing to pay for it.
Yeah, I will probably eat there next time I’m in Hawaii. I just don’t like dessert. I like tasting menus - forced prix fixe less so - but it’s a gorgeous setting and the food in the past was good. So I’m willing to give it a shot.

A "tasting experience" usually has many much smaller courses. This app, entree, dessert fixed price is not what the industry considers to be a tasking menu.

I agree that they won't have any issues filling the restaurant. But I think that most people would agree that having an ala carte menu would open it up to more people. This pretty much forces people to buy more food then they want. It is their restaurant and they can do what they want, but it is kind of crappy to do this when the restaurants are so limited at the resort. A few restaurant with this style at WDW is not a big deal because of all of the other option, but Aulani only has the one other restaurant and it is not fancy. Forcing people, like diabetics to get a dessert is kind of shady to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter