FOODIE HEAVEN! A Foodie Nov 2016 trip report (updated 12/2)

mzpoirot

DVC Member since Nov 2016
Hello everyone,

My name is Molly and I am soooooooooooo excited to be less than 30 days away from our upcoming November 2016 trip to the best place in the world - Walt Disney World!

I thought I would take a little time in this post to tell you about our group of travelers.....

AK_OUTFITTERSCHAR1_7072268682_zps9d9bf6dd.jpeg

Me (Molly): To say I am a Disney addict is an understatement. If I was not already working full-time I would most likely be a travel agent specializing in Disney trips! If I could specifically just have a job traveling around to the different Walt Disney World restaurants I would do that too - I consider myself a Disney foodie (hey facebook Disney Foodies group!). I've been to WDW several times when I was younger, however, it took going to Walt Disney World as an adult to truly find my love for it. In April 2013 I did a day trip to Disneyland while I was in California for a conference and was blissfully unaware of how many things I missed out on due to lack of planning. Planning these trips becomes and obsession for me now - one that I take a great amount of joy in! Most recently I visited WDW in October 2014 for a 5 night stay at Coronado Springs ((see my trip report from that trip in my signature)) with my husband and mom! Which leads me to the next people in my travel group....

STUDIO_SPEEDERBIKEICON_7074405194_zpse6decb10.jpeg

Hubby (Levi): Levi's first trip to Walt Disney World was during our October 2014 trip. Levi's dream job is to become independently wealthy... I would not say that he is addicted to the World as much as I am....although he does thoroughly enjoy his time while we are there and is coming to realize how much I love Disney. He is also beginning to appreciate that Disney trips take a significant amount of planning - and I'd like to think that he's thankful for my obsessive planning and organization. Hopefully. LOL! I just asked him what his favorite part of our last trip was and he said: "Oh, I don't know.....I liked the Star Wars stuff in Planet Hollywood...." So there ya go.... :rotfl2:

AK_ASIATRAILSROVER_7072351287_zps97727e99.jpeg

Mom (Linda): My mom is the reason I was able to visit Walt Disney World so many times as a child and is the reason that we visited Walt Disney World again in 2014. Mom loves Disney - she loves how many different shows there and and loves trying new restaurants. In particular, Moms favorite thing are the special ticketed events. When we were planning this coming trip she asked several times if there were extra ticketed events we could try this time.......so of course I said yes! Pull my arm! We plan to do a few different special events during this trip but more on that later....

GRAND_PARKFARE_7071988751_zpsdf24c51c.jpeg

And that's it - just the three of us! I will give you the details of our stay in my next post.....
I hope you enjoy reading along :)

Last edited:
Good evening!

So here are some details of our stay....

Where? Port Orleans French Quarter

We are staying in a River View room (thanks, pin code!) and I am pretty darn excited about it! I've never stayed here before and love that it is one of the smallest resorts.

When: Nov 12-18th
Hubby and I are flying in from Wichita KS and my Mom is leaving from Harrisburg PA

As I mentioned in the previous post - one of my Moms favorite things is extra "hard ticket" events. She found her love for these extra events during our last trip when we went to 3D Disney's Dessert Discovery (I think is the title?!??!) during Food and Wine. If you have a chance to go to this event during Food & Wine I HIGHLY recommend it!!! During the event in 2014 we showed up and checked in and waited until we were able to be "released" into the main area where there was a mad dash for tables. I think it's funny looking back because there were more than enough tables to go around - but everyone still went crazy and ran to get the ideal spot! Once inside the event there were large tables full of different food items and drinks galore. During the event there was a live band (definitely can't remember the name of the band...) and you were able to go enjoy as many of the food items/drinks as humanly possible. I've seen pictures of Party for the Senses and the setup seems to be VERY similar to this 3D party. After we were done stuffing our faces popcorn:: we were able to take handfuls of Werther's caramels and follow a guided lit path to the reserved Illuminations viewing area. We were given 3D glasses and used them to watch Illuminations - SPOILER ALERT: every pin point of light turned into Mickey Heads! It was such a fun event - all of us loved it.

Walking up to the check-in area....

check in room

some of the food options and room layout

photo.php

During that trip we were also able to attend Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. I can't say enough positive things about MNSSHP. LOVED it.

Which leads me to the "extra" things were are doing on this trip.....
1) Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party
2) Jingle Bell, Jingle Bam Holiday Dessert Party
3) Lunch with an Imagineer @ Hollywood Brown Derby
4) Epcot Seas Adventure - Aqua Tour

I am keeping the dessert party and lunch with the Imagineer as a secret from my Mom - she will be soooo excited.
I will share all of our dining plans with you on my next post :tigger:

Alrighty then.........here are our dining plans during our trip......

Nov 12th: Arrival day!
Afternoon Tea @ Grand Floridian
Dinner - O'hana dinner (hoping to view Wishes, we have an 8:35pm reservation with 10pm Wishes)

Nov 13th:
Breakfast - QS Port Orleans French Quarter
Lunch - Sanna @ 12:20
Dinner - Hoop Dee Doo Review OR Yak & Yeti ((hoping for Rivers of Light to open prior to our trip))

Nov 14th:
Breakfast & Lunch - Epcot F&W day!!!!
Dinner - Jingle Bell, Jingle Bam Holiday Dessert Party

Nov 15th:
Breakfast - Boma
Lunch-ish - Very early Liberty Tree Tavern dinner (3:15pm)
Dinner - Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party...we will most likely grab a QS later in the evening

Nov 16th:
Breakfast - QS
Lunch - Dining with an Imagineer @ Hollywood Brown Derby
Dinner - Kona Cafe

Nov 17th:
Breakfast - QS
Lunch - QS
Dinner - Biergarten

Nov 18th: Departure day :(
Breakfast - Cape May

We have been to O'hana in the past and I know I love it already. I think I am most excited for our dessert party and breakfast at Boma. I am also excited just to try random Quick Service places that we happen upon....last time I planned each one and I plan to wing it during this trip! Haha.

What WDW restaurant is your favorite?

23 days until Disney :smickey:

Following along, you leave the day before we arrive :) I completely get you on wanting to plan Disney trips F/T: after spending WAY too much on the Dis and just on Disney "stuff" in general, I finally became a TA specializing in Disney :goodvibes It's so much fun! You don't have to do it full time so even though you work - think about it! Your trip sounds fantastic and the pictures from the 3D Dessert Discovery look awesome! I also love MNSSHP, haven't done it since 2014 and I'm dying to get back.
I booked the Jingle Jam Jingle BAM dessert party for us for Thanksgiving, so excited! I'm not a SW fan but I do love Christmas so anything Christmas-y they add is fine with me :thumbsup2
Oh! To answer your question, I think our top 3 TS restaurants would be Il Mulino, Citricos, and BOG, with Sanaa a close 4th.

Following along - sounds like a fun time!

Thanks for following along!!!

Following along, you leave the day before we arrive :) I completely get you on wanting to plan Disney trips F/T: after spending WAY too much on the Dis and just on Disney "stuff" in general, I finally became a TA specializing in Disney :goodvibes It's so much fun! You don't have to do it full time so even though you work - think about it! Your trip sounds fantastic and the pictures from the 3D Dessert Discovery look awesome! I also love MNSSHP, haven't done it since 2014 and I'm dying to get back.
I booked the Jingle Jam Jingle BAM dessert party for us for Thanksgiving, so excited! I'm not a SW fan but I do love Christmas so anything Christmas-y they add is fine with me :thumbsup2
Oh! To answer your question, I think our top 3 TS restaurants would be Il Mulino, Citricos, and BOG, with Sanaa a close 4th.

Yes, the dessert party will be fun I'm sure! I was kinda hoping for the SW party but I am just as happy with a Christmas themed event! I agree with you on BOG...I've not been to Il Mulino or Citricos yet.

Following I am going to at MK on Nov 14th and Tour some disney resorts and Disney Springs on the 15th

Following I am going to at MK on Nov 14th and Tour some disney resorts and Disney Springs on the 15th

Thanks for following along!!! Can you believe that we go to Disney THIS MONTH?!?!?! Sooo exciting!!!

Hello all.....I can finally say that I am going to Disney THIS MONTH!!!! WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Slight change in our dining plans - we were going to meet some family at the Grand Floridian for Tea the Saturday we arrive, however, they now cannot make it. I canceled the reservation to opt for going to Disney Springs instead. I've never been to Disney Springs (or previously, Downtown Disney) but am excited to take the boat over from our resort pirate: :sail:

I'm also excited because of all the Christmas-y things being offered in Disney Springs....specifically the themed Christmas trees

Only 11 days until we leave - I've started gathering some things for our suitcase but am NOWHERE near ready to leave! Something to work on this week I guess.....

SINGLE DIGITS - ONLY 9 DAYS UNTIL DISNEY!!! :dogdance::simba::mickeyjum:banana::earseek:

I am lovin' these smilies if you couldn't tell....

I've made some changes to our dining itinerary since I can't seem to not change them every single week.:rotfl:

New plan:
Saturday November 12th:
We canceled our Afternoon Tea @ Grand Floridian (mentioned this in the last post also)
O'hana dinner

Sunday November 13th:
Brunch at Narcoossee's @ 11:40am ((((freaking excited for this one))))
Sanaa @ 8:15pm for bread service

The rest of the schedule remains the same....for now.....hopefully that will be all my changes o_O
There is something so satisfying yet addicting about constantly checking ADR openings. Anybody else have this obsession? No? Just me?

Our brunch at Narcoossee's is the newest addition to the schedule...I decided to add it because it worked out well as a transition from our morning in MK to our afternoon in AK. I've not yet seen a bad review of this brunch. I know that many people also recommend that California Grill brunch but I think I like the idea of the laid back setting at Narcoossee's as well as the Bloody Mary's. I anticipate the hubs will thoroughly enjoy the Bloody Mary's also!!!

I'm anxious to see if Rivers of Light will start before our arrival date. I probably just jinxed it. :confused:

In other news next week is hubs bday - we have NO plans as of right now for his bday. I am trying to suggest going to see Doctor Strange that day after work! We have the pleasure of carpooling to work which I LOVE and we work freakishly close to a WONDERFUL large movie theatre....sooo it's perfect, right? I ordered a 6-month subscription to candy club as a present. He is a candy-a-holic.

Hope all is well with any of you readers out there!

Candy Club?? Sounds right up my alley!
I completely understand cancelling Afternoon Tea, although it's something I've decide I want to try. Hopefully will do it on our next adults only trip as I think my boys would laugh uncontrollably if I suggested it while they were with us :rolleyes:.
Trying new things in Disney is always fun but wow, Disney Springs for the first time! That's a big one. We've always enjoyed walking around & shopping down there but haven't been since last November, so I'm excited to see all the changes since then-and the trees :santa:. We leave the 19th so I have a few more days to get ready than you, but I think we both better get a move on lol!

Candy Club?? Sounds right up my alley!
I completely understand cancelling Afternoon Tea, although it's something I've decide I want to try. Hopefully will do it on our next adults only trip as I think my boys would laugh uncontrollably if I suggested it while they were with us :rolleyes:.
Trying new things in Disney is always fun but wow, Disney Springs for the first time! That's a big one. We've always enjoyed walking around & shopping down there but haven't been since last November, so I'm excited to see all the changes since then-and the trees :santa:. We leave the 19th so I have a few more days to get ready than you, but I think we both better get a move on lol!

Yes - I'm excited to finally be able to go to Disney Springs....we will most likely grab lunch there on arrival day....thinking Blaze pizza!
We do need to get packing!!! That's my plan for tomorrow/Sunday :)

Yes - I'm excited to finally be able to go to Disney Springs....we will most likely grab lunch there on arrival day....thinking Blaze pizza!
We do need to get packing!!! That's my plan for tomorrow/Sunday :)
I'm considering Blaze for this trip too, I've read some very good reviews :thumbsup2

Good evening! Only 5 days until Disney!!!!!

I managed to get most of our packing done this weekend. Only have 1 or 2 things left to add into our bag!
20161107_070003.jpg

Tomorrow is hubby's bday and the Candy Club box arrived in the mail tonight! It is three containers of different candies surrounded by more candy and delivered on a monthly basis.....perfect for my man with the biggest sweet tooth ever :cake:

Tomorrow is also election day. Ugh. I plan to wake up and make biscuits and gravy for a bday breakfast before going in to vote. At least that should start election day off right :rotfl2:

Minor changes have been made to our dining schedule (I told you that I'm obsessed.....). We are now not doing Narcoossee's brunch and are instead opting to spread the credits out to have lunch at Sanaa and dinner at Yak & Yeti. So basically we are back to my original plan!!! Oh goodness. I've saved all my "Your reservation has been confirmed/canceled" emails so I can see how many times I've added then deleted things.

Well, I'm off to clean a bit more before sleeping! TTFN :tigger:

Good evening! Only 5 days until Disney!!!!!
Tomorrow is hubby's bday and the Candy Club box arrived in the mail tonight! It is three containers of different candies surrounded by more candy and delivered on a monthly basis.....perfect for my man with the biggest sweet tooth ever :cake:
Tomorrow is also election day. Ugh. I plan to wake up and make biscuits and gravy for a bday breakfast before going in to vote. At least that should start election day off right :rotfl2:
Minor changes have been made to our dining schedule (I told you that I'm obsessed.....). We are now not doing Narcoossee's brunch and are instead opting to spread the credits out to have lunch at Sanaa and dinner at Yak & Yeti. So basically we are back to my original plan!!! Oh goodness. I've saved all my "Your reservation has been confirmed/canceled" emails so I can see how many times I've added then deleted things. Well, I'm off to clean a bit more before sleeping! TTFN :tigger:

How exciting for you! You'll be coming home just as we are heading down there ourselves!

The candy club sounds pretty awesome!

Biscuits and gravy is definitely my way of starting off a morning right! So hard to find good ones at many places though. I haven't really enjoyed any of the Disney versions.

Your ADRs sound great and as a fellow ADR obsessed person...I am with you. I probably have most of my emails as well. My trip is less than two weeks away and I find myself checking for openings for other options quite often. Just yesterday I cancelled on ADR and replaced it...with two others...and pretty sure I'll end up cancelling another ADR or two very soon. :)

How exciting for you! You'll be coming home just as we are heading down there ourselves!

The candy club sounds pretty awesome!

Biscuits and gravy is definitely my way of starting off a morning right! So hard to find good ones at many places though. I haven't really enjoyed any of the Disney versions.

Your ADRs sound great and as a fellow ADR obsessed person...I am with you. I probably have most of my emails as well. My trip is less than two weeks away and I find myself checking for openings for other options quite often. Just yesterday I cancelled on ADR and replaced it...with two others...and pretty sure I'll end up cancelling another ADR or two very soon. :)

Have fun on your trip! What ADR are you most excited for?
I managed to make a pretty tasty biscuits and gravy this morning - added wayyy too much pepper (in my opinion) but hubby loved it! Haha
Thanks for reading along :)

Have fun on your trip! What ADR are you most excited for?
I managed to make a pretty tasty biscuits and gravy this morning - added wayyy too much pepper (in my opinion) but hubby loved it! Haha
Thanks for reading along :)

You know, that's a tough one (the ADR question) but I think I'm hoping to FINALLY be able to eat at Tusker House. I have reserved Tusker House probably 2 or 3 times in previous trips, and I always end up cancelling it for one reason or another, usually while in WDW already. Since this is the ONLY meal where the little ones with us would be able to eat with Mickey (and previous trips we've always done Chef Mickey...but I'm skipping it this time) I am hoping this one wins out. I've heard great things about the food there over other buffets. We're also doing Crystal Palace (I LOVE TIGGER :tigger:) but that is earlier in the trip.

Biscuits and Gravy are definitely one of my favorite breakfast meals. I actually think Bob Evans restaurant does a GREAT Biscuits and Gravy of any of the chains. I could eat theirs every day!

I'm going to Disney TOMORROW!!!!!

We have a 6am flight out of Wichita on United and will hopefully touch down in Orlando at 12:20pm!

Yesterday we cleaned out the remaining perishables from the fridge....it now looks like a condiment fridge....
20161111_191240.jpg

Our bags are in the car and our carry-on is ready to go. Magic bands are in the purse, itinerary printed out along with xmas party tickets and I've checked in for our flight.

Ready freddy!

I'm going to DISNEY....TOMORROW!!!!
I'll post after our trip :tinker:

Did you go to Hoop De Doo Revue on the 13th? We went to the 6:15 show that night. Did you like it?

How was Liberty Tree Tavern? We have lunch ressie today.

Maybe we will see you at Epcot tomorrow.

Did you go to Hoop De Doo Revue on the 13th? We went to the 6:15 show that night. Did you like it?

How was Liberty Tree Tavern? We have lunch ressie today.

Maybe we will see you at Epcot tomorrow.

Hey!! Nope...we ended up doing yak and yeti the night I was thinking about doing HDDR! Liberty Tree was awesome...hubby's fav meal of the trip sp far! Yes....hope to see you in Epcot....if you come to the aquarium tanks around 12:30 or 1 you might see us snorkeling :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter